Questions about purchasing out of state

jeep In Thought

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m looking to order my first Jeep and do it out of state out of state to save a few bucks. I have a few questions that hopefully can be answered and don’t sound too silly.

Btw I’ve only ever purchased veheicles from local dealers and ones on the lot.

1) what happens if you order a Jeep through an out of state dealer and you put a deposit on it , then test drive it and it doesn’t feel right and you’re not happy with it. Do you ask for your deposit back?

2) if you have a trade in when getting a quote from an out of state dealer do you tell them you have a trade in? Or do it when you pick it up and negotiate the trade in price?
Sponsored

JohnnyJLUR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Granite Crystal, 2013 Mazda MX5 Club
I’m looking to order my first Jeep and do it out of state out of state to save a few bucks. I have a few questions that hopefully can be answered and don’t sound too silly.

Btw I’ve only ever purchased vehicles from local dealers and ones on the lot.

1) what happens if you order a Jeep through an out of state dealer and you put a deposit on it , then test drive it and it doesn’t feel right and you’re not happy with it. Do you ask for your deposit back?

2) if you have a trade in when getting a quote from an out of state dealer do you tell them you have a trade in? Or do it when you pick it up and negotiate the trade in price?
I have purchased a number of vehicles out of state. If you are ordering new and know what you want you should be okay and not have to be concerned about the deposit. Make sure little details like do not put on a front license plate are worked out ahead of time. If you are concerned about the deposit, then negotiate so that the deposit is refundable.

As fro your trade, use KBB as a guide for what you can expect. Be realistic on the condition and marketability of your car. You will need to trade the car in where you buy it to get the tax break. In other words...if you are given a 25k trade in on a 50k car you are paying sales tax on the difference...or 25k. In this instance, you will save $1750 in taxes assuming a 7% tax rate. Some dealers are hesitant to give you a trade in value sight unseen...so be as upfront with the dealer about condition and any cosmetic or mechanical issues.

I hope this helps!

OP
OP
jeep In Thought

jeep In Thought

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. Thank you.

When you say “you need to trade in the car where you buy it” you mean at the out of state dealership where I’m buying the Jeep.... correct?

MAPC

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly JK-U, JL-U awaiting production
It seems to me that there is financial risk in just showing up with your trade at time of purchase. You are left with no negotiating power unless you are truly willing to walk (or in this case drive) away from the deal and away from your new car.

Better solutions (from a financial perspective, if not from a convenience perspective):
1. get the trade in to them in advance of the deal
2. sell privately
3. take lots of pics of the trade and show them in advance and try to get them to commit to a range, pending physical inspection

Also, doubtful that you will get actual KBB- my experience is that it is hard to get that actual number when dealers go to quote Manheim auction results.

Just my 2 cents

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
1, If you test drive it and you're not happy with it ; ... then ...

2. Make sure you haven't already traded in your trade in .

I'd rather have my good old vehicle to get home , than not have it because I sold or traded it in too soon .

3. These so-called deposits are really extra profit for the dealers . When I special order , I'm never asked for a deposit .

Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
My experience is dealer go by NADA which is lower than KBB.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
To me, the "no hassle" part is well worth it. I used a dealer that is about 5 hrs away from me, order process is as easy as I sent her my configuration, she gave me the no-bull shit price and build sheet, and a 5 minutes phone call to confirm. Bang, done deal! Not even a penny deposit. Wranglers sell so well that no dealer is worried about you walking away from the deal, so any deposit is entirely unnecessary.

For trade-in, I plan to at least try to sell at Carmax or Craigslist, partially because my State has a very low tax rate for car, so I am not really into tax saving of trade in. I can rent a car to drive there, and if anything happens, I can still drive back.

My local dealers (as well as 98% of the dealer) will not entertain any negotiation, and you often get "f**king get away" as a response if you bring up any below invoice price.

OP
OP
jeep In Thought

jeep In Thought

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. These help a lot. There are some tips here that never even crossed my mind. Thank you.
Sponsored