First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I recently bought this https://www.speedflate.com/ setup, and have been toying with the idea of a Powertank. Right now all I have is a S#ittybilt 12v, I think the 12v is going to be a back up to a Powertank. Question is for 37s what would you choose; 10# on roll bar to keep it out of the way, or 15# behind the rear seat? All other suggestions are welcome.

With the Speedflate I’m guessing any CO2 tank will be pretty fast.

Im looking forward to not having to dig my compressor out and hook it up to the battery anymore.
Sponsored

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
I recently bought this https://www.speedflate.com/ setup, and have been toying with the idea of a Powertank. Right now all I have is a S#ittybilt 12v, I think the 12v is going to be a back up to a Powertank. Question is for 37s what would you choose; 10# on roll bar to keep it out of the way, or 15# behind the rear seat? All other suggestions are welcome.

Im looking forward to not having to dig my compressor out and hook it up to the battery anymore.
I would go with two 15# tanks. It's almost impossible to ever know if you have enough CO2 remaining in the tank that you are using. I have 2 tanks which allows me to use the tank until empty. Also you can't always get the tank filled very quickly leaving you with no tank. I run 37's on my jeep moving from 35's and the 10# just doesn't last long enough.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
I have been using a #10 PT, mounted on the driver's side sport bar, for the past 2 years with and have a Viair 400P as a back up. I just received my Speedflate, last week.

Have used the SF twice and love it. Now, I am going to get another PT and am wondering the same, as yourself. I am leaning towards another #10 PT mounted on the passenger side sports bar.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I agree with @EbyCreek. I have had 33s for the past year and a single 10# tank. Every 4 or 5 trips I would just swap tanks (never got an actual PT one) and it worked well. Now that I have 37s the weight difference of the tank after 1 fill up told me it wasn't going to last long. It really depends on how much air you need to put into your tires - since I run Patagonias and they like the PSI rating on your door, I go from 15 to 36PSI which is a lot of air. On Nittos I would only go from 15 to 26/28. I was thinking of grabbing a 15# tank from PT as long as I can find someone who does fills around me and if I can then I would eventually get a second so I always have one and can rotate out. The speed and silence of the PT is enough for me to keep spending money on CO2 and never get a 12v compressor.

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Excellent feedback so far! Thanks. I’m definitely leaning towards a 15 pound tank as I also want to be able to fill even bigger tires like truck or RV. On the flip side I’m always trying to save room and weight. So I guess I’m looking for the best compromise. I’d love everything about 2 10# bar mounted tanks except the price.

@jdubya421 Any pros and cons to the bar mounted tank?

@EbyCreek if you don’t mind, how to you secure your tank? The BTS bracket from Powertank is great and I may go with that, but I’m sure some on here have needed it elsewhere, and I am open to ideas.

Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Excellent feedback so far! Thanks. I’m definitely leaning towards a 15 pound tank as I also want to be able to fill even bigger tires like truck or RV. On the flip side I’m always trying to save room and weight. So I guess I’m looking for the best compromise. I’d love everything about 2 10# bar mounted tanks except the price.

@jdubya421 Any pros and cons to the bar mounted tank?

@EbyCreek if you don’t mind, how to you secure your tank? The BTS bracket from Powertank is great and I may go with that, but I’m sure some on here have needed it elsewhere, and I am open to ideas.
I have a 2 door softop, so I have no way to mount my tank made by PT. The way I do it is I use a ratchet strap on the 2 D rings mounted to the floor near the tailgate. I think a bar mounted tank would be awesome and I wish I could do it. They tuck way up out of the way.

Edit: if you are concerned about price, the special sauce of PT is the regulator and the hose. Any 10# will work and you can get them really cheap on Amazon. Places around me don't fill, they only swap, so I never got a PT branded tank any way.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase

This looks like an awesome set up! I didn't really see how it works, does the gauge in the middle regulate the pressure in the tires and stop flow once desired pressure is met both inflation/deflation? I can't watch the video at work, it won't open. I am running a Bulldog air compressor(way better than a SB), Only issue I have with it has the stupid Japanese style fittings. I unfortunately don't get out on the trails enough to justify the purchase of Powertank or ARB dual. However, This would be an awesome set-up to just hook up to my normal compressor.

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
I built this bracket for my PT. Works great on a 2dr Jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL Questions about Powertank Powertank Bracket

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
FedEx-retired
This looks like an awesome set up! I didn't really see how it works, does the gauge in the middle regulate the pressure in the tires and stop flow once desired pressure is met both inflation/deflation? I can't watch the video at work, it won't open. I am running a Bulldog air compressor(way better than a SB), Only issue I have with it has the stupid Japanese style fittings. I unfortunately don't get out on the trails enough to justify the purchase of Powertank or ARB dual. However, This would be an awesome set-up to just hook up to my normal compressor.

Not that sophisticated, but air up/down all 4 to same pressure in a jiffy.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Not that sophisticated, but air up/down all 4 to same pressure in a jiffy.
Yeah, I am looking at the 2 hose variant, it seams much more manageable. The air up would be easy to do on either. But deflating, you'd have to run and disconnect all four tires unless there was a shut-off valve where all the hoses meet. I do like the simplicity of this set-up though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Yeah, I am looking at the 2 hose variant, it seams much more manageable. The air up would be easy to do on either. But deflating, you'd have to run and disconnect all four tires unless there was a shut-off valve where all the hoses meet. I do like the simplicity of this set-up though.
It’s got a shut off valve. Works great.

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I just ordered the 2 hose. Thanks for the heads up on this!

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
FedEx-retired

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
Just a fyi, I get 5-6 fill ups going from 12 to 30 on 37's. Weigh the tank empty and note then after first use you can do the same and kinda tell what your using and do the math to see. I also weigh mine after I get home to make sure I have enough for the next trip.
Sponsored