Tug

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Hi All,

This is my first post here! Before I ask a couple questions about my order I wanted to say thank you for providing a wealth of information and sharing your experience on this form. It made research into buying my first new Jeep much easier and I was more prepared when placing my order!

On to the questions...

1. I ordered my JL with a 3% under invoice deal. At the time that I ordered I was told that this can not be combined with the Tread Lightly offer. Cruising the site yesterday this seems not to be the case for some. Is this just luck of the draw, dealership by dealership or something I should push?

2. Is a destination fee of $1,445 normal? I know this cannot be changed now but we're considering buying a second Jeep and I want to know whether or not to use the same dealer.

3. I decided after ordering that I would like to add on the LED package. My dealer told me this was not possible even though Jeep Chat tracked my order as waiting to be built. My dealer went radio silent when I tried to push to have this package added.
Not sure who was right here but I'd like to either order the LED package or purchase just the LED headlights. I came up empty after a quick search on the Mopar site. Has anyone found these through Mopar and do you know the cost? - If it's crazy I'll wait to see what the aftermarket delivers.

4. I have a line item on my order form for "Vehicle Theft Protection Warranty" - $299 - What exactly is this?

Thank you very much for your help, I'm excited to hop into the new JL!
Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I can only help with a couple.

1. TL only guarantees 1% below invoice. Anything after that it is up to the dealer. I got 5% below and also had TL but I did not get any more off.
2. Don't know for sure if this is fixed
3. Don't know
4. I assume this is an add-on by the dealer. Many try to sell you these things and things like paint protection. I simply at finance tell them I do not want that nor did I ask for that.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
2.) Destination charge is fixed. My understanding is it's fixed as to not make an unfair advantage for dealers in say, Ohio or Michigan compared to those in FL or CA.

4.) Like the above mentioned, this sounds like a B.S. dealer addon that I would have them remove or explain in great detail. More than likely it's just wheel locks that cost $50 they are up charging to $300.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Hi All,

This is my first post here! Before I ask a couple questions about my order I wanted to say thank you for providing a wealth of information and sharing your experience on this form. It made research into buying my first new Jeep much easier and I was more prepared when placing my order!

On to the questions...

1. I ordered my JL with a 3% under invoice deal. At the time that I ordered I was told that this can not be combined with the Tread Lightly offer. Cruising the site yesterday this seems not to be the case for some. Is this just luck of the draw, dealership by dealership or something I should push?

2. Is a destination fee of $1,445 normal? I know this cannot be changed now but we're considering buying a second Jeep and I want to know whether or not to use the same dealer.

3. I decided after ordering that I would like to add on the LED package. My dealer told me this was not possible even though Jeep Chat tracked my order as waiting to be built. My dealer went radio silent when I tried to push to have this package added.
Not sure who was right here but I'd like to either order the LED package or purchase just the LED headlights. I came up empty after a quick search on the Mopar site. Has anyone found these through Mopar and do you know the cost? - If it's crazy I'll wait to see what the aftermarket delivers.

4. I have a line item on my order form for "Vehicle Theft Protection Warranty" - $299 - What exactly is this?

I would cancel that order and go to Metro in Chicopee, Ma and reorder at 5% under invoice and NO games played. You should absolutely be able to change your build prior to D status, so your dealer probably just doesn't want to bother/doesn't know to contact his Jeep rep to make changes. LED is a pretty easy and cheap aftermarket change, so this might not be a deal breaker for you, and there are already several manufacturers with replacements out there (and on this forum in many places). Destination is $1445 so you're stuck with it, but that silly $299 add on is crap if they never told you about it.

In conclusion, cancel, get your deposit back, buy from Metro.
(mic dropped)

ParthianShot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Is it pretty easy to get a deposit back from a dealer if you decide not to purchase your order? I have a dealer playing games with my trade-in currently, and it's really put a bad taste in my mouth.

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Is it pretty easy to get a deposit back from a dealer if you decide not to purchase your order? I have a dealer playing games with my trade-in currently, and it's really put a bad taste in my mouth.
Depends on the dealer and the terms of the deposit. Sometimes it's as easy as asking or cancelling a check. A deposit left on a credit card gives you more options. Even the worst ones, those labelled "non-refundable" or "order fee" can be recouped if you fight enough. Sometimes that means getting a general sales manager or owner involved and even escalating it to FCA. Using social media as a tool (or even a threat) can be effective as well. This can be especially useful if a dealer is playing games and you can document it.

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
The destination charge is ridiculous, though...I'm pretty sure I could ship my Jeep by itself across country for less than what they're charging. Given the amount of vehicles they work through...you'd think they could get it down a bit...

OP
OP

Tug

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Although some of this stinks, I just sold my 2010 JKU and not having a car while waiting for another JLU to be built is not an option.

I will not be giving this dealer more business, and will try to knock that $299 off before picking up the Jeep. With how easily information can be spread these days it's surprising that this entire process isn't cleaner. I'm even more of a fan of ordering your car online cutting out the dealership all together now.

Deputylo

First Name
Jossue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler 2018 JL Rubicon
I had the same issue with first dealer I went. No discount at all because they said it was a build they did not have on lot. Also a stupid key replacement and theft guard I didn't want but apparently was mandatory. I had given 5k down payment. After reading through the forums I went back and got money back and went somewhere else. Saved 4k

Hi All,

On to the questions...

20180529_213438.jpg

20180530_200931.jpg

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I had the same issue with first dealer I went. No discount at all because they said it was a build they did not have on lot. Also a stupid key replacement and theft guard I didn't want but apparently was mandatory. I had given 5k down payment. After reading through the forums I went back and got money back and went somewhere else. Saved 4k

20180529_213438.jpg

20180530_200931.jpg
WOW! Almost $1800 in fees on top of the $800 in b.s. on top of paying MSRP. I hope that dealership never sells a car again. Teefs.

OP
OP

Tug

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Thank you for your informative responses!

I picked up my JLUR today!

I thought I would let you know that I was not able to have the $299 charge on the order removed. The dealer complained that they were giving me the JL deal, said the cops require it, it will reduce my insurance, bla bla bla. Even after I called bull on those points they said it was already on the car and in the order. I just wanted out of there at that point.

I wish I had googled or posted here to find out what the charge was before placing the order. A note to others be sure you read and understand all points of the order before signing.

All in all I'm excited to be back in a Jeep! I had a great drive home and will be enjoying this JL for a long while!
Sponsored