Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport 6 Speed
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
TV Producer
Vehicle Showcase
So I have an 18 JL Sport 6 speed that has a clutch recall notice.
Jeep Wrangler JL Questions about my modified Jeep going in for recall work IMG_0490

I have read some threads about dealers refusing to do work on modified jeeps.

Mine has a Teraflex 3.5" and 35" tires, plus a 3 piece MORE skid plate set. I'm also running a Tazer JL Lite which stays in all the time.

Not sure if I should even attempt to go in to the dealer. Not really having an issue with the clutch now.

Some people say they put factory tires and wheels back and and remove skids before going to dealer. Seems not worth the trouble.

What's the collective wisdom here?
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Jeep Wrangler JL Questions about my modified Jeep going in for recall work IMG_0490

Mine has a Teraflex 3.5" and 35" tires, plus a 3 piece MORE skid plate set. I'm also running a Tazer JL Lite which stays in all the time.

Not sure if I should even attempt to go in to the dealer. Not really having an issue with the clutch now.

Some people say they put factory tires and wheels back and and remove skids before going to dealer. Seems not worth the trouble.

its a 50/50 type of situation. depending on which dealer you go to. so will work with you or some will outright refuse. which dealer do you go to.

OP
OP
ArtAldrich

ArtAldrich

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport 6 Speed
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
TV Producer
Vehicle Showcase
its a 50/50 type of situation. depending on which dealer you go to. so will work with you or some will outright refuse. which dealer do you go to.
I have two dealers close in Northern Jersey. Ramsey CJD and Rockland CJD. Both have left me with mixed feelings about service (when stock).

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I have two dealers close in Northern Jersey. Ramsey CJD and Rockland CJD. Both have left me with mixed feelings about service (when stock).
rockland is horrable. and ramsey is where i got my jl, but havent used the service. where in the lohud are you.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I could be wrong, but I believe dealers are legally obliged to perform recalls. No ifs or buts.

There’s a key difference between warranty work and a recall: warranty covers parts and labor for the vehicle to perform to factory-spec for a limited period of time; recalls do the opposite - modify/replace/reflash the original factory specs, whether the vehicle is within warranty or not.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Remove the skids covering the engine, tranny, and transfer case. Remove the Tazer. Lift and tires aren't going to matter. If they hassle you find another dealer. If you don't get the recall done and anything happens you won't be covered.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

could be wrong, but I believe dealers are legally obliged to perform recalls. No ifs or buts.

There’s a key difference between warranty work and a recall: warranty covers parts and labor for the vehicle to perform to factory-spec for a limited period of time; recalls do the opposite - modify/replace/reflash the original factory specs, whether the vehicle is within warranty or not.
This is 100% correct. To the OP, you can bring your vehicle in for the recall without any issues. You'll likely get better reception from the dealer you purchased from, but for a recall, that shouldn't matter.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I could be wrong, but I believe dealers are legally obliged to perform recalls. No ifs or buts.

its a fine line as to how the dealership and or fca wants to look at it. yes theres a difference between the 2 services. however, the dealer could say that the mods could affect the recall part and can simply do two things. one is do the recall since the part originally came from the factory and flag the jeep. the other is that if the recall asks for a visual inspection to is it a recall is granted or not. in that case the dealer could denie the work because the inspection is inconclusive as to the the cause coming from the mods or not.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Remove the skids covering the engine, tranny, and transfer case. Remove the Tazer. Lift and tires aren't going to matter. If they hassle you find another dealer. If you don't get the recall done and anything happens you won't be covered.

it would be a good idea to do. but looking at the jeep will raise a concern at the dealer. i could be wrong but the history in the computer will show that a tazer was used. i do agree with the fact that tires and lift should not be a concern but dealers can look at it and either flag you or just over look it.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

however, the dealer could say that the mods could affect the recall part and can simply do two things. one is do the recall since the part originally came from the factory and flag the jeep. the other is that if the recall asks for a visual inspection to is it a recall is granted or not. in that case the dealer could denie the work because the inspection is inconclusive as to the the cause coming from the mods or not.
A recall has to be completed by law. A dealer cannot refuse to perform a recall, regardless of mods, etc.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
its a fine line as to how the dealership and or fca wants to look at it. yes theres a difference between the 2 services. however, the dealer could say that the mods could affect the recall part and can simply do two things. one is do the recall since the part originally came from the factory and flag the jeep. the other is that if the recall asks for a visual inspection to is it a recall is granted or not. in that case the dealer could denie the work because the inspection is inconclusive as to the the cause coming from the mods or not.
But the cause of a recall is precisely the original factory specs, mod or no mod.

Because the majority of recalls (1) seek to avoid liability for the automaker from improper factory specs, and/or (2) normally involve safety issues, I don’t believe dealers can deny performing a recall on any vehicle listed on the campaign.

If a customer does not want a recall performed on his/her vehicle, I’d imagine the automaker would want them to sign a liability release.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I don’t believe dealers can deny anyone who owns a vehicle listed on a recall campaign.
100% correct. In fact, a vehicle can be well outside the factory warranty (or extended warranty period) and a dealer must complete any recalls on the vehicle if it is brought in.

PsychoTrucker81

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL

I’d think MAYBE due to the tire size...while it will look goofy with the lift, do you still have the factory wheels so they can’t claim “extra stress” on the driveline due to tire size?
Sponsored