Sponsored

Questionable Carfax on '18 JLU Sahara

GWetz07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing fun
I am interested in buying a new 2018 JLU Sahara but I have questions about the Carfax report. https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHisto...eVc0OnDNJEmpPNfkXOh3yVkMQ3snivxDnnWpAb8bDtvS4. There are a couple of things that I am not sure what they mean. Engine/powertrain computer/module replaced, and Body computer/module replaced. Does this mean they just upgraded the ECU or other software, or does this vehicle have a problem with it's UConnect system? Appreciate all the help
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yeah, that would make me nervous too. It would be one thing if there was just one system/computer in play, but they replaced the ECM and immediately reprogrammed the PCM. Sounds like they were trying to remedy an electrical gremlin. While not the worst thing, since maybe they resolved it, but then 6K miles later they replaced the BCM.
Now it's sitting on a dealer lot after they traded it in 10 months later. That makes me wonder if the issue reappeared and body module was another attempt to fix it. And since it's at a Kia dealership it implies the person who had it got tired of chasing electrical issues and/or was fed up with Jeep altogether and gave up on Jeep.

I don't know if I'd automatically say no to that Jeep, but I'd definitely need some more information if I was going to consider buying it. If it's priced the same as other Jeeps with similar options/miles I'd probably go for one of them (assuming a clean report on them).

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thatā€™s a lot of visits in less than 24 months.

Having said that, these vehicles are so loaded with electronics that they are all bound to have all sorts of reflashes, reprograms and even modules replaced.

Like others have said: make sure these issues are all resolved.

Welcome to the forum! :champagne:

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but it wasn't sold until Jan 2019 when it had 5600 miles and wasn't inspected until Oct 2018? This was a dealer loaner or salesman car for that period? Then the actual owner put 17k miles on it in 8 months with only the v41 recall and no other issues. Assuming it wasn't sold at auction and the Kia dealer picked it up, the owner traded it after driving 2k per month for a possible Kia. They may have just gotten tired of paying for gas after realizing they were driving around 24k miles a year.

Instarand

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Is there something unique or special that you like about this particular example? Chrysler makes hundreds of thousands of these things - no reason to take a chance. Find one without a story.

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I wouldnā€™t be overly worried about that but at the same time thereā€™s an abundance of JLs out there. Iā€™d look at something else.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i'd pass on this one. like others have mentioned, there are plenty of them out there to choose from. its better to find one with a clean report then grabbing one with questionable report at super duper deal.

OP
OP

GWetz07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing fun
Is there something unique or special that you like about this particular example? Chrysler makes hundreds of thousands of these things - no reason to take a chance. Find one without a story.
This one has a lot of options that I would like, but it's not enough of a reason for me to get one that has potential issues. I believe I will pass on this one and keep looking

Thanks everyone for your advice, much appreciated!

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
This one has a lot of options that I would like, but it's not enough of a reason for me to get one that has potential issues. I believe I will pass on this one and keep looking

Thanks everyone for your advice, much appreciated!
doit.gif

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

GWetz07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing fun
does anyone know reasons as yo why the body computer module or the ECM would be replaced? Is it a UConnect issue or the ESS? I called the kia dealership and the dealership that the repairs was done at they couldn't give me any information

OP
OP

GWetz07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing fun
Still looking anyway, huh? :CWL:
Ya I can't get this one out of my head haha. I'm weak. I love that it comes with the K02's already, has leather, and the LED light setup