Question regarding the removable panels on the hard top

424hamst

First Name
Kal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
Has anyone else noticed that these removable panels get chipped up very easy? I am always very careful when removing and always put them in the storage bag, but after the first few months of having the new Jeep, I noticed that the edges of the removable panels are getting chipped up and am not sure how to better protect them and also how to repair the chipping I already have.
Anyone else having this issue and have you found a way to fix it?
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
There are good posts here about acquiring the correct FCA touch up paint for them. The search feature should help. (e.g. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hard-top-front-panel-chipped.9581/#post-264798)

As I understand it, all hard tops are painted, but there is a difference in the sheen of the paint for (it's shinier) expressly ordered as such color matched hard tops for black colored rigs compared to non body colored hard tops that are not body color matched: even if your rig's body happens to be black in color (or not.)

Someone else will have to chime in here with their expertise if this is your situation. I don't know if there are 2 different black sheens to choose from, or if it much makes a difference on touch ups.

Paint codes are found on the door plate exposed on the "B" pillar I think when the driver's door is opened.

When putting the panels in the bag, do you separate them with the soft liner in the bag? Are you putting them in consistent with this ?

I've had best success getting them into the bag when the surface of the panels exposed to the sky is place in the bag as closest to the outer side of the storage bag, with each panel positioned as a mirror image of the other.

Are your panels being exposed while you drive or are parked to things that might chip them?

Last edited:
OP
OP
424hamst

424hamst

First Name
Kal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
There are good posts here about acquiring the correct FCA touch up paint for them. The search feature should help. (e.g. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hard-top-front-panel-chipped.9581/#post-264798)

As I understand it, all hard tops are painted, but there is a difference in the sheen of the paint for (it's shinier) expressly ordered as such color matched hard tops for black colored rigs compared to non body colored hard tops that are not body color matched: even if your rig's body happens to be black in color (or not.)

Someone else will have to chime in here with their expertise if this is your situation. I don't know if there are 2 different black sheens to choose from, or if it much makes a difference on touch ups.

Paint codes are found on the door plate exposed on the "B" pillar I think when the driver's door is opened.

When putting the panels in the bag, do you separate them with the soft liner in the bag? Are you putting them in consistent with this ?

I've had best success getting them into the bag when the surface of the panels exposed to the sky is place in the bag as closest to the outer side of the storage bag, with each panel positioned as a mirror image of the other.

Are your panels being exposed while you drive or are parked to things that might chip them?
Ours are chipping on the edges particularly the corners. We do put them in the bag with the exposed side facing each other, opposite of what you described. We put them in the bag and set them in the garage and to my knowledge haven't had them off in the car. Our damage almost appears like they have been scrapped accross concrete, but I am pretty sure I am the only one that has taken them off and they have never touched the ground. I will look for some touch up paint as you mentioned, but was curious if others have been seeing this. I will post some pictures later showing what ours are doing.

Cwelroy

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
I never use the bags and just stack them on top of each other in the cargo area. Haven’t noticed any chipping at all.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Mopar paint for Black Hardtop

(not for body match black hardtop):

hardtop-paint.jpg

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
What would you use if your hard top was body color matched to your black rig? Some color code as appearing on the door frame? Something other than the PXF cited above? The PXF because it doesn't make a difference for small touch ups?

Just asking. My hardtop is not matched to my white Sahara's body color.
Sponsored