First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Moab, ‘22 HighTide, ‘59 Chevy Apache, ‘32 Ford
Occupation
Custom painter/freelance artist
I’m truly sorry if I’m asking a question that’s already been answered but I couldn’t find that it had.
I’d like to swap my stock incandescent taillights for OEM LED tailights, as it is my understanding that doing so is a simple “plug & play“ swap (no need to have anything “flashed” by the dealer service dept. - but if I’m wrong about that please let me know).
My question is this: Someone locally has an undamaged pair that are only one year old that are in great shape for a very attractive price, but they have blind spot detection sensors, and my JL Sahara does not have blind spot detection. Will installing these screw anything up, or would the tailights still be a “plug & ply” installation?
Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Pretty sure you still need to have the Jeep flashed (dealer or Tazer?) to know it has LEDs, otherwise you'll get hyper flash. I could be wrong though but that's my understanding.

JeepersCreepers2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
The tailights are plug and play. U do not have to flash or use tazer. The blind spot obviously won’t work but the led taillights will work just fine for u. Headlights are a different story

was one of my first upgrades.

OP
OP
Resin Addict

Resin Addict

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Moab, ‘22 HighTide, ‘59 Chevy Apache, ‘32 Ford
Occupation
Custom painter/freelance artist
The tailights are plug and play. U do not have to flash or use tazer. The blind spot obviously won’t work but the led taillights will work just fine for u. Headlights are a different story

Thanks...yup, I’m aware of the need for the “Flash“ on the (LED) headlights, my understanding is the headlights will work fine without, but the “flash” recognizes the halos and makes those DRL’s. Working with my dealer to get the headlight kit as we speak.

MOTC JL

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU

I just picked up a pair of the LED taillights with blind spot monitors so glad to hear that they will work on non equipped JL. Do the DLR work as well?

Sponsored

JeepersCreepers2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I just picked up a pair of the LED taillights with blind spot monitors so glad to hear that they will work on non equipped JL. Do the DLR work as well?
The DRL's will not work on the headlights. There are some members who have found a way to use the DRL's and attach them to the aux switches but I dont believe you can get them to come on like a LED equipped Jeep does.

Aftermarket seems the way to go for LED upgrads

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Not sure if you are asking about DRL on the taillights. If you are, taillights don't have DRL. DRL are front facing.

MOTC JL

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Not sure if you are asking about DRL on the taillights. If you are, taillights don't have DRL. DRL are front facing.
Sorry, wrong terminology- I’m wondering if the hourglass halo will work when the fog lights are turned on. Pretty sure they will or you’d have mentioned that. Thanks!

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I’m wondering if the hourglass halo will work when the fog lights are turned on.
Again, I assume you are speaking of the taillights. If so, the running lights will turn on when the headlight switch is turned on (set to parking lights or headlights) or set to Auto and it is dark outside. The taillight operation has nothing to do with the fog lights. The fog lights can be turned on when the parking/running lights or headlights are on.

MOTC JL

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Again, I assume you are speaking of the taillights. If so, the running lights will turn on when the headlight switch is turned on (set to parking lights or headlights) or set to Auto and it is dark outside. The taillight operation has nothing to do with the fog lights. The fog lights can be turned on when the parking/running lights or headlights are on.
I have the Oculus headlights so referring to the taillights. I thought when you turn on the fog lights the hourglass of taillights go on as well-see pic.
Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding swapping stock OEM for LED OEM tailights F95F4B66-4CA6-4FD5-9D48-3ED110E9760D

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I thought when you turn on the fog lights the hourglass of taillights go on as well-see pic.
Those are the parking/running lights. They turn on as described above. Those are activated the same time your parking lights or headlights are on. The fog lights can only be turned on when your parking lights or headlights are on, but work independently of the taillights.

MOTC JL

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Those are the parking/running lights. They turn on as described above. Again, fog lights being turned on/off has nothing to do with the taillights being turned on/off.
Copy that, thanks