morgan01234

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Altitude
Hi everyone,

My name is Morgan, I'm looking for a garage hoist to store my hard top for the entire summer while I have the soft top on. I have a corvette that resides in my garage so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a really reliable top-rated hoist that I can purchase! Also, if anyone knows of other ways to store a hardtop that would be great, I have a one car garage so I think the garage hoist would be the best bet for me. Thanks so much!
Sponsored

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
Hi everyone,

My name is Morgan, I'm looking for a garage hoist to store my hard top for the entire summer while I have the soft top on. I have a corvette that resides in my garage so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a really reliable top-rated hoist that I can purchase! Also, if anyone knows of other ways to store a hardtop that would be great, I have a one car garage so I think the garage hoist would be the best bet for me. Thanks so much!

I use a Harken hoist system, with lumber it costs ~$200 total and totally worth it. It does take some time to install with drilling holes, finding studs in the ceiling but it's been flawless for 18 months.

Harken.jpg

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
There are a number of great options. As the previous poster replied, the Harken hoist works. Many of us also use the Racor PHL-R system. The key with any of these is installing it correctly and making sure it's drilled into joists. If so, you'll have no problem leaving the hard top hang there all summer.

OP
OP

morgan01234

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use a Harken hoist system, with lumber it costs ~$200 total and totally worth it. It does take some time to install with drilling holes, finding studs in the ceiling but it's been flawless for 18 months.

Harken.jpg
Thank you so much!

OP
OP

morgan01234

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are a number of great options. As the previous poster replied, the Harken hoist works. Many of us also use the Racor PHL-R system. The key with any of these is installing it correctly and making sure it's drilled into joists. If so, you'll have no problem leaving the hard top hang there all summer.
Thank you for the help! Really appreciate it!

Sponsored

new2rocks

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito!
I went with the Racor hoist (available on Amazon) paired with the Topsy Hinge Hoist Bracket Kit and Cam Drivers (purchased directly from Topsy). I couldn't run cables from the hoist out to a wall with my garage setup, and I didn't want to have to install a motor on the ceiling. The setup works great, especially with the Topsy add-ons. I use a cordless drill to raise and lower it, and I can swap the tops in less than 30 mins without help. I also like being able to use the Racor platform to store things like the freedom panels (when the hardtop is on the lift) or my soft top (when the hardtop is on my JLUR).

IMG_4255.JPG

bboyk

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR,16 Siverado; 61 & 02 Vettes, 67 Camaro
Occupation
Finally retired! Futures industry executive
Hi everyone,

Morgan,
Thanks for starting this thread. I have been evaluating hoist systems all week. I thought the Harkin look good and glad to see others are recommending it.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you so much!
Add me to the list:

I have the Harken and well worth it since I take top off in May and back on in Nov in Western NC... I do not go out in rain since the roof is off. Let's face it can not bike if it is raining so why use the Jeep in the rain. Last year I did get caught in rain three times on way home but fans dried it out.

Blades

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU sport
If you check out you tube as well there are a ton of cheap diy options out there. When I had my JK with hard top I installed lag eyebolts into the ceiling joists/studs. Used 4 of them basically one for each corner of the top. Then I used ratchet straps on each corner to raise the top. When I had the top off and raised this way I could park in the garage by pulling in and the hood went under the top. Total cost in materials was maybe 25 bucks total. Used this option for 3 years with no issues. Now I strictly run a soft top year round on my JL.

Sponsored

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
I have a Lange hoist with the electric winch. Bought for my TJ and the hard top holder works for my jlu.

The winch option is great—drive in; lower it, bolt on and drive out.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I built a hoist for my hard top out of 2x4, 1x2, and rigging.

20200405_175231.jpg

20200405_135224.jpg

Z&KOJL

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
A6B2A36E-0AB9-4689-A03D-E5CD7750E2CA.jpeg
Here is the cheap option, made with things I had laying around but came out great and works solid. Hooks in the studs and cinch style straps looped through the top, goes up and down easy and it’s a simple option if you’re only taking it on and off one or twice a year for storage anyways.

OhReally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hellayella JLUS, Honda Odyssey
I also went with the Racor hoist and the Topsy addons. I like that it has a shelf so that I can store the soft top when the hard top is on the jeep. With an electric drill, raising and lowering is a snap.
Hoist.jpg

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
i have a Harkin for the JLUR, just replaced the hand rope with a crank. Harbor Freight $25.00. took the handle off and use my battery drill to wind it up

F55107C6-E20B-4E32-BCD7-5BF8CC3B38C8.jpeg
Sponsored