Sponsored

Question : Passenger side Valve Cover Oil leak from sensor-Pics. Not sure what it is.

MitsJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLUS
Had a problem come up recently on my 3.6. Only ~55,500 miles and recently oil started seeping from this sensor and gasket on the passenger side valve cover- right on top. Dealer says they were going to have to replace the whole Oil cooler and not just whatever this sensor/ gasket combination is. Im not 100% on board with that.

Any idea on what the sensor/gasket is and if it would be as easy to replace as it looks? Pics below. Bear with me as Im new to the forum.
Jeep Wrangler JL Question : Passenger side Valve Cover Oil leak from sensor-Pics. Not sure what it is. IMG-3141
Jeep Wrangler JL Question : Passenger side Valve Cover Oil leak from sensor-Pics. Not sure what it is. IMG-3142
Jeep Wrangler JL Question : Passenger side Valve Cover Oil leak from sensor-Pics. Not sure what it is. IMG-3143
Jeep Wrangler JL Question : Passenger side Valve Cover Oil leak from sensor-Pics. Not sure what it is. IMG-3144
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I had the exact same problem and it was the oil cooler. Oil is likely resting in the valley. I originally thought I had a gasket leak as well, but it was fine. It sucks, but Chrysler/FCA/Stellantis/Whatever is notorious for building critical engine components out of plastic.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
MitsJeep

MitsJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLUS
I had the exact same problem and it was the oil cooler. Oil is likely resting in the valley. I originally thought I had a gasket leak as well, but it was fine. It sucks, but Chrysler/FCA/Stellantis/Whatever is notorious for building critical engine components out of plastic.
One thing I have not done, Is taken the engine cover off and really had a good look at that whole area to check everything out and with the valley. But I will say that everything else seems dry as far as I can tell besides this one sensor/gasket.

OP
OP
MitsJeep

MitsJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLUS

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The seals are the same for each side correct? Just wanted to confirm.
As far as I can tell. I have not found a part number for the driver's side--only the passenger. I bought 4 passenger (1 set of spares) and will be installing them soon.

What makes me think that they are the same is the sensors appear to be identical on both sides.

Last edited:

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing I have not done, Is taken the engine cover off and really had a good look at that whole area to check everything out and with the valley. But I will say that everything else seems dry as far as I can tell besides this one sensor/gasket.
It's entirely possible it's a simple seal leak, but given the model year of the Jeep, the mileage, and the specific location of that oil, I'm still leaning towards the oil cooler. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

OP
OP
MitsJeep

MitsJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLUS
It's entirely possible it's a simple seal leak, but given the model year of the Jeep, the mileage, and the specific location of that oil, I'm still leaning towards the oil cooler. Hopefully, I'm wrong.
Hmm, I hope so too.

Well, I will have to investigate some more for sure. They quoted me ~$1500 P&L for the oil cooler. Seems steep for sure with them saying it wasnt covered under the 60K powertrain warranty. Thoughts on getting dealer to do an oil cooler vs outside work?

Appreciate the feedback

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My 2019 is doing the same thing and it is not the oil cooler. My passenger side started at about 40K and then the drivers side recently.

This is a very common area that leaks and several have posted about it here. The seal is not very robust and has a very thin lip that seals against the solenoid.

OP
OP
MitsJeep

MitsJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLUS
My 2019 is doing the same thing and it is not the oil cooler. My passenger side started at about 40K and then the drivers side recently.

This is a very common area that leaks and several have posted about it here. The seal is not very robust and has a very thin lip that seals against the solenoid.
I found one other thread about it too, but definitely trying to gather a variety of opinions.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/help-identify-this-leak-please.107438/

Appreciate all the feedback here.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@MitsJeep - the passenger side is pretty easy to change, the drivers side is more difficult. I am likely going to keep wiping it down (it is really a very light mist of oil around it) until I hit 75K.

I will change the sparkplugs at the same time because I would have to pull the intake for the plugs and at that point change both of them.

Now you see it:

Jeep Wrangler JL Question : Passenger side Valve Cover Oil leak from sensor-Pics. Not sure what it is. Intake Off

Now you don't:

Jeep Wrangler JL Question : Passenger side Valve Cover Oil leak from sensor-Pics. Not sure what it is. Intake O

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmm, I hope so too.

Well, I will have to investigate some more for sure. They quoted me ~$1500 P&L for the oil cooler. Seems steep for sure with them saying it wasnt covered under the 60K powertrain warranty. Thoughts on getting dealer to do an oil cooler vs outside work?

Appreciate the feedback
The dealership quoted you that price? Ouch. Well, if that ultimately ends up being the issue, I would imagine you could get it done closer to $1k at a local shop you can trust. Likewise, I'd replace it with an aftermarket unit. Dorman has one that's made out of aluminum.

When mine ate shit, Dorman units weren't available and it was going to be well over a month before the possibility of getting my hands on one. However, the dealership had tons of the Mopar ones because they replace them so often on a multitude of FCA vehicles. So, I just sucked it up and grabbed another plastic OEM unit.

Of course, but the oil cooler is still a common weak point in these engines that causes the exact same leak. I'm merely suggesting that you shouldn't be surprised if you discover the seals are fine when you remove the intake and start digging around.

OP
OP
MitsJeep

MitsJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLUS
Yikes! That driver side is buried deep. Yeah, all I seem to have is the super passenger side front one. I'll start mentally preparing for the plugs. 😂

OP
OP
MitsJeep

MitsJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLUS
The dealership quoted you that price? Ouch. Well, if that ultimately ends up being the issue, I would imagine you could get it done closer to $1k at a local shop you can trust. Likewise, I'd replace it with an aftermarket unit. Dorman has one that's made out of aluminum.

When mine ate shit, Dorman units weren't available and it was going to be well over a month before the possibility of getting my hands on one. However, the dealership had tons of the Mopar ones because they replace them so often on a multitude of FCA vehicles. So, I just sucked it up and grabbed another plastic OEM unit.

Of course, but the oil cooler is still a common weak point in these engines that causes the exact same leak. I'm merely suggesting that you shouldn't be surprised if you discover the seals are fine when you remove the intake and start digging around.
Yep, thats what the dealer wanted. I like the aluminum idea. Will update when its back from a re-flash.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Yep, thats what the dealer wanted. I like the aluminum idea. Will update when its back from a re-flash.
The aluminum cooler housing sucks just as bad as the factory part, you can just save money on the followup repairs by replacing seals not the whole assembly.

Your cooler probably is leaking, because they always do. That little leak you're looking at is so small a dealer wouldn't even consider that for repair. It's nothing.
Sponsored