Sponsored

Question on the start/stop work?

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I have a new Rubicon with a stick shirt and the start/stop when you come to a light does not work. I asked the service rep at the dealer and all he did was scratch his head.
Any thoughts
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
You have to be stopped with your foot off the clutch and on the brake for it to work. Have you met those criteria and it still won’t work? Is there any lights on the dash?

Brett

OP
OP
stoowie

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
No lights on the dash. I will try later with car in neutral and foot on the break and report back

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
It sounds like the hidden battery is not charged and you will need to get replacement from dealer under warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stoowie

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
You have to be stopped with your foot off the clutch and on the brake for it to work. Have you met those criteria and it still won’t work? Is there any lights on the dash?

Brett
Just drove the Jeep around went to a stop put stick in neutral and stepped on gas and nothing

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Geeze, I'd give just about anything for my ESS to not work.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Just drove the Jeep around went to a stop put stick in neutral and stepped on gas and nothing
Just to be clear - it doesn’t work in neutral with the clutch released and your foot off the clutch?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Like Jim mentioned, transmission in neutral, foot on the brake and foot off the clutch are the needs that have to be met for it to do the autostart stuff. Once you push on the clutch it starts right back up.

Brett

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Scroll through your display on the dash and see what it says about the start/stop. Mine says, "battery charging" a lot because its not my DD. If you commutes are short the batteries may not have enough time to charge. I usually leave mine on a trickle charger when it sits for a few days.

Rolling Ragu

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Are the batteries linked? If you put a trickle charger on the main battery does that do both?

The ESS won't work until the engine is up to temperature or if the system has too much draw at the moment and needs the engine.

I've learned how to use mine, and think I will continue. It doesn't bother me like some. Once I learned how it worked, I no longer worry about mechanical stresses on the starter, etc.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Are the batteries linked? If you put a trickle charger on the main battery does that do both?

The ESS won't work until the engine is up to temperature or if the system has too much draw at the moment and needs the engine.

I've learned how to use mine, and think I will continue. It doesn't bother me like some. Once I learned how it worked, I no longer worry about mechanical stresses on the starter, etc.
Yes if you put a charger on the main it will charge both.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
I have a new Rubicon with a stick shirt and the start/stop when you come to a light does not work. I asked the service rep at the dealer and all he did was scratch his head.
Any thoughts
I guess I would scratch my head at a stick shirt also? :LOL:

Seriously though.. is it new and never worked or is it something that just started to not work? I use the SmartStopStart myself to disable it all the time. Not a fan when something doesn't work though. Time to sort it out.
Sponsored