Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have been looking for a sturdier way to mount my 37" BFG KO2 and wheel on my 2018 JLUR. Currently, I am running bare naked with no spare. I have a long cross country drive coming up and I'm not comfortable driving that far without my spare.

Originally, I took it off for several reasons including its weight and the situation where I could manage to remove it and remount the flat one without assistance. The other reason was that I hated seeing the lower portion of the inside of the aftermarket wheel in the backup camera screen.

After looking at many options from EVO, Rugged Ridge, Mopar, etc. I like the Rusty's setup the best, although if Teraflex had the JL hinge mount ready to go, I might go that direction. But Terafelx told me today that they won't have the hinge reinforcement available until Q1 of next year. While I like their adjustable tire carrier, the idea of 100+ pounds hanging off the back of my JL without a real hinge support product is not something I'm willing to do.

So my question about the Rusty's product is this - can you see the inside portion of your wheel in the backup camera (remember its a 37" tire on a 17" aftermarket wheel with a 4.5 backspace). I really don't like the idea of seeing the wheel. Is the camera tube long enough to prevent that? Can the camera tube be adjusted? Thoughts?
Sponsored

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
So my question about the Rusty's product is this - can you see the inside portion of your wheel in the backup camera (remember its a 37" tire on a 17" aftermarket wheel with a 4.5 backspace). I really don't like the idea of seeing the wheel. Is the camera tube long enough to prevent that? Can the camera tube be adjusted? Thoughts?
I'm running a 9" wide 17" wheel, -12mm ofset, so similar BS to you. Yes, you can see a bit of wheel, but I honestly don't even notice it anymore. You likely would not see the wheel on a stock offset wheel. There is fore/aft adjustment on the wheel carrier (not the camera tube), but I would have liked a bit more, as 4.5" BS is pretty common on JLs and I wish it tucked back just a bit more.

Would I buy this carrier again if given the chance? Absolutely.

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired