question on rear parking sensors

funglenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS North Edition
I have replaced my plastic bumper with a westin wj2 steel bumper and had to drill out the spots for the rear sensors. I have been reading and see that there are lots of issues. but i have a few questions if anyone can help clarify some points:

1. do the sensors need to go in the same spot as the original bumper? some say yes, some say it is the holders that are key as they angle them properly.

2. do the sensors need to go oriented the same way as they were in the original bumper? (or can they be rotated slightly) My westin bumper is very tight fit for the center two sensors and i need to rotate them slightly from how they were sitting in the plastic bumper in order for the wiring to reach.

i feel like i should just scrap the whole holders and maybe just glue them in place--using the OEM metal bumper holders really does not help as the angles they make the sensors sit in does not work for two of them. For the other sensors, the holders work great, but the sensors are not rotated exactly as they were in the original bumper.

thanks
Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
in panel B 15 just behind your head is a little yellow button and that's the one you need to press

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
I swapped my sensors to a CavFab bumper and now I get a false detection when backing out of my driveway onto the curb; I guessed wrong on aiming the sensors, oh well, I’ll live with it and continue to use the backup camera and my eyes.

In other words, you’re overthinking it; if the sensors are in roughly the right locations and not aimed at the sky, you should get decent results.

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
Just remove these sensors, turn them off with a taser or similar programmer and back up using your eyeballs.

way simpler that way 🙃
Sponsored