Question on going topless with a cargo mat

Rum Runner

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
Going into summer im likely going to go topless quite a lot and was wondering when i get a cargo mat if its going to go flying around? Havent really seen any cargo mats that clip in like the floor mats.
Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Going into summer im likely going to go topless quite a lot and was wondering when i get a cargo mat if its going to go flying around? Havent really seen any cargo mats that clip in like the floor mats.
I don't see how wind can get underneath it but I am not familiar with a 2 door model cargo area. Having the doors off may be a different story. I have a mesh sunscreen on m 4 door and that reduces both sun and wind when the top is removed. My cargo area always has an air compressor and a floor jack so my cargo mat isn't going anywhere even with doors off and top off.

OP
OP
Rum Runner

Rum Runner

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
yea i got a screen on my roof too so idk if that will change much. I will likely have the doors off too. Being in FL it would get hot quick with just the roof off and not the doors haha

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Think you will be ok. I had a box of tissues sitting in the back with doors off and top down. It was still there after 30 miles at 75 mph

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Those cargo mats have some heft to them, especially when something’s resting on top of them. I doubt you’ll have an issue.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Going into summer im likely going to go topless quite a lot and was wondering when i get a cargo mat if its going to go flying around?
My cargo mat doesn't budge. With your concerns initially in mind, I made it a point to purchase a heavy aftermarket rubber mat. I needn't have worried; you should be ok too.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
The cargo mat I installed had the D-ring locations molded in. I cut those bits out with an Xacto knife, and when I go topless, I secure everything in the back with a couple of bungee straps hooked through the D-rings. If I didn't have anything back there, this would work just as well as insurance against the mat itself taking flight.

Tiger1

First Name
Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, 2016 BMW 435
We use a Harbor Freight packing blanket (recommended somewhere in the forum) as our liner in the back. It's got better coverage & good for dogs, gear, lawn stuff. It's disposable at $5 and we're on our second after three years of use. Even with the light weight of the blanket, never had a problem with it in the back when driving topless (with nothing on it). I don't think there's much wind shear on the back floor & a rubber mat should be just fine.

Sponsored

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I purchased the MOPAR cargo mat & seat back protector kit for cloth seats, part no. 82215656AC from @AllMoparParts.com.

The seat back covers snap into place (see pic below) at each circle shaped area. You'll note that the lower seat back cover section is physically connected to the cargo mat section. Mine has never moved, even when going topless and driving freeway speeds.

Jeep Wrangler JL Question on going topless with a cargo mat Liner 03

Jeep Wrangler JL Question on going topless with a cargo mat Liner 05

OP
OP
Rum Runner

Rum Runner

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
The cargo mat I installed had the D-ring locations molded in. I cut those bits out with an Xacto knife, and when I go topless, I secure everything in the back with a couple of bungee straps hooked through the D-rings. If I didn't have anything back there, this would work just as well as insurance against the mat itself taking flight.
yeah thats what i was thinking of doing

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Just wanted to point out that if you were to decide NOT to cut those out, a well-fitted mat will do a decent job of catching a reasonable amount of rain and ensuring your underfloor storage area stays dry. Something to consider if you expect to ride topless a lot.

OP
OP
Rum Runner

Rum Runner

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
Just wanted to point out that if you were to decide NOT to cut those out, a well-fitted mat will do a decent job of catching a reasonable amount of rain and ensuring your underfloor storage area stays dry. Something to consider if you expect to ride topless a lot.
that makes sense. This time of year in FL it rains like clock work everyday at 3pm so thats useful

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I have the WeatherTech cargo mat and go topless all the time; it doesn’t clip in to anything and it doesn’t budge.
Sponsored