Question on Dual Top for noob

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I’m in I’m the Northeast as well and have always run 2 tops. Hard top November-March, soft top rest of the year. No substitute for running topless and my JL is a daily driver so I want the hard top for the winter. It does take up space when not on the jeep, you can find instructions on how to build a dolly that stores it standing on end, helps with the space it takes up
Sponsored

Baconator

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
I picked up a lightly used TrekTop NX (non-ultra) for summers last week and am loving it. I find it to be a great balance. You can open the front like the Sunrider, and the back windows are fully removable. The only (potential) downside is that the back seats are permanently covered, but I have little kids and they whine when it's fully off, so it works perfectly for me.

It also has a fastback style, which I like.

The Sunrider looks great, but it's a very expensive replacement for the freedom panels, which fit behind the seats or in the trunk (that never bugged me that much). Sure, unclipping and throwing it back is great, but you can get the TrekTop to do the same thing for the same price new, or get it used and do additional things.

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'll provide a 2nd (or 3rd) for the Sunrider for Hard Top. I have not used my soft top since buying the SR. It flips open in about 2 seconds and is just great. Not quite as good as the full top down experience for sure, but it is really nice and I can run with it year round.

dski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubi 4dr
Occupation
small business owner
fwiw, i plan on running this summer with 1/2 doors and a sun bonnet top only and putting my hard top on this fall. I like the topless experience but I have to limit my sun exposure.

Yeah, i'm going to get rained on, bird poop, etc.

dski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubi 4dr
Occupation
small business owner
I picked up a lightly used TrekTop NX (non-ultra) for summers last week and am loving it. I find it to be a great balance. You can open the front like the Sunrider, and the back windows are fully removable. The only (potential) downside is that the back seats are permanently covered, but I have little kids and they whine when it's fully off, so it works perfectly for me.

It also has a fastback style, which I like.

The Sunrider looks great, but it's a very expensive replacement for the freedom panels, which fit behind the seats or in the trunk (that never bugged me that much). Sure, unclipping and throwing it back is great, but you can get the TrekTop to do the same thing for the same price new, or get it used and do additional things.
I was only familiar with the best top version! I don't personally own either, I know some that do and thought they were a neat idea and for sure, I'd be comparing prices and features.

Just knowing there is a middle ground between dual tops is a good thing. 2k for a soft top is more than either of these options.

Sponsored

golong27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I use the Harken Hoist pulley system to store the tops above the garage floor. To store the soft top in the winter, I run the straps through a piece of plywood and lay the soft top and other pieces on top and lift away.

I prefer the fully naked look in the warm weather but found the soft top (have a Trektop NX) useful for day/overnight trips when the weather could change quickly. Takes me about 30 minutes to completely install/remove the soft top.

ForeOSU

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLU
I have the premium soft top and ran it all winter here in Ohio and had no issues. Never once thought it was a colder vehicle than any normal vehicle I’ve owned. If the cold climate is your only concern, I would not waste money on the duel top. But if you have the money and the storage space for a hard top then go for it. You should not be concerned that the inside of the jeep will be too cold with only a soft top.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I store my hardtop hanging from ceiling. My daughter uses toplift pro.

I have a soft top hanger system from quadratec. My daughter hangs hers on the toplift pro.

Both ways work.

I hange doors using evo door hangers. Daughter leans her doors against wall with moving blankets.
@fflmaster : Ronnie's @Redbaron73's comments above not only talk to how many people remove the back of the hard top, but store it when not in use.

Like the Freedom Jack https://www.freedom-jack.com/ the lifting device can store the rear of the hard top in the air over the engine of a vehicle that drives head first up to it: slightly more the Top Lift Pro.

So even if you don't need a lifting device, both also serve as storage devices that take up minimal footprint.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Looking at my first Wrangler and my wife is set on the dual top option to switch out for summer vs winter.

Is this a good option and how do most store when you have TWO tops vs just the one for the times you want to be completely topless?
Oh, and @fflmaster, not because this is trivial, but because it's the single greatest freakin mod to every hit a Wrangler (in this poster's opinion) there's always cutting the rear of the hard top into 4 pieces and storing it:

...... under your bed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Question on Dual Top for noob 1615413534047

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/converting-a-factory-jk-jku-hardtop-to-modular.160775/

Cudos to Jeff Scherb @jscherb, the all time most amazing Wrangler modifier and forum member here.

jplusk

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
My garage ceiling is a standard height. Get a racor lift. Works like a champ!

A73F5C09-F63B-4CB4-8A1C-969BF2BD4714.jpeg

OP
OP

fflmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara Altitude
With the vinyl windows removed and the soft top folded back into the stowed & locked position, the vehicle is topless in the traditional sense of the word. Did you mean to say that you intend to remove the top's framework and door seal uprights for the sake of aesthetics?
We just purchased our new wrangler with the hard top. My wife is thinking of adding a soft top to switch out during the summer.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Looking at my first Wrangler and my wife is set on the dual top option to switch out for summer vs winter.

Is this a good option and how do most store when you have TWO tops vs just the one for the times you want to be completely topless?
How about a powered soft top for year round use? It's warmer and quieter than a hardtop

Sponsored