Sponsored

Question of the rpm for manual transmission

Lagoonatic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek, 2012 Honda Pilot, 2009 Toyota Matrix X, 2004 Subaru Forester
There are shift points listed in the manual. It’s in mph and not rpm which I suppose is a form of dumbing down the instructions. The shift points are 15 mph from 1-2 and 24 mph from 2-3. When I shift from 1-2 or 2-3 I give a little gas pedal when the clutch grabs just to smooth things out.
Sponsored

FormerF150Owner

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Sienna, Jeep JKU 2016, ordered 2 door JL 2021 on 8/10/2020
Some other things to consider, IMO.

Turn OFF the ESS.
Turn OFF the hill assist.

IMO this leads to a more "normal" feeling clutch. This engine loves to rev and I've rev limited it a couple of times when my music is too loud and I'm not paying attention... lol.
For 1st - 4th I will almost always take it up over 3k rpms before I shift. The 3.6L does not come alive until you are above 3k.
For what it's worth I'm running 37s and 4.88 gears.
I read this post today and thought it sounded pretty far fetched but I would give it a try. It really does make a difference in how the manual transmission shifts. I can "feel" the engine now since I turned off the hill assist! Not sure how to explain it, but you can tell the difference.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I read this post today and thought it sounded pretty far fetched but I would give it a try. It really does make a difference in how the manual transmission shifts. I can "feel" the engine now since I turned off the hill assist! Not sure how to explain it, but you can tell the difference.
Thanks for the feedback. It seems to be 50/50... guys like you and me can see a notable change where others can't tell a difference. I'm pretty sure they are millenials and have no idea how a real clutch is supposed to feel ;)

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for the feedback. It seems to be 50/50... guys like you and me can see a notable change where others can't tell a difference. I'm pretty sure they are millenials and have no idea how a real clutch is supposed to feel ;)
Well really this clutch should not be how you Boomers think a clutch should feel haha. I don't think I ever tried this on my Rubi so when I go for lunch I might try it again. I just don't even understand how it would make a difference.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well really this clutch should not be how you Boomers think a clutch should feel haha. I don't think I ever tried this on my Rubi so when I go for lunch I might try it again. I just don't even understand how it would make a difference.
My suspicion is the brakes. The hill assist is designed to grab and hold the brakes when you are on a hill and it does that very well on both manual and auto Jeeps. MAYBE it also puts a tick of hesitation into the clutch or rpms so that the brakes have time to let go (that part is just a theory).
Regardless, even on flat ground, there is this odd sense of delay or hesitation which gives the clutch a very unnatural feel.
As soon as I turned hill assist off and drove for a min I could tell the difference.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
And my the way... get it straight, I'm not a boomer :) Boomers are my parents generation the ones that were born after WWII, I'm Gen X.

Reactions: zdr

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

GunnarAZ

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Willys 2 Door
Occupation
Real Estate
Some other things to consider, IMO.

Turn OFF the ESS.
Turn OFF the hill assist.

IMO this leads to a more "normal" feeling clutch. This engine loves to rev and I've rev limited it a couple of times when my music is too loud and I'm not paying attention... lol.
For 1st - 4th I will almost always take it up over 3k rpms before I shift. The 3.6L does not come alive until you are above 3k.
For what it's worth I'm running 37s and 4.88 gears.
Where do I find how to disable hill assist? I just picked mine up about 10 days ago. Have barely driven it. Less than 20 miles since I got it home. Just been busy. Anyway, I can't find anywhere how to disable the hill assist. Can you direct me where to find it?

JennnyB

First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Human Resources
I have been driving my JLUR 6 speed for a week now, my first Wrangler. I love everything about it but one thing, the shaking between 1 and 2 gear. I have driven manual cars for my entire life (I was born and raised in Italy, now live in Houston). I am at the point that I sort of regret going for a manual...
I haven't gotten my 2021 yet but with my 2005 I didn't even use 1st gear and didn't need my clutch replaced until 230,000 miles so it must have been ok. I am curious to see how the 2021 feels.

Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I find that I can shift to 2nd without revving too high as long as I don’t need much throttle once in 2nd. No lugging. It’s when you try to apply too much throttle in 2nd at too low a speed that the lugging begins. Level ground and not in a hurry versus needing speed (let the rev climb).
I do love this transmission though. 4L shifting indeed requires a different shifting style, but hopefully you’ll get the hang of it with time.
I do find that after a lot of 4L driving, going back to 2H requires a few hours of driving before lugging - that wasn’t there before - dissipates.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Where do I find how to disable hill assist? I just picked mine up about 10 days ago. Have barely driven it. Less than 20 miles since I got it home. Just been busy. Anyway, I can't find anywhere how to disable the hill assist. Can you direct me where to find it?
On the radio touch screen go into settings and I think from there is is either "system" or "safety" and in that menu the last option will be enable/disable hill assist.
I turn mine on when I am off roading since it is great to have when you are stuck on a boulder but for daily driving I keep it off.

GunnarAZ

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Willys 2 Door
Occupation
Real Estate
On the radio touch screen go into settings and I think from there is is either "system" or "safety" and in that menu the last option will be enable/disable hill assist.
I turn mine on when I am off roading since it is great to have when you are stuck on a boulder but for daily driving I keep it off.
Awesome. Thanks. I haven't even played around with the touch screen, settings, etc. It's on the list of things to do, but I'll definitely go in first chance I get and disable the hill assist. Appreciate the help!

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Old thread, but a Centerforce heavy flywheel transforms the engine from gutless down low to torquey. You can let out the clutch at low rpm without it bogging and making unhappy vibrations. The motor still doesn't make any real hp till about 4000+ rpm, but it will feel like an old 4.0 TJ around town and on the trail which is kinda what most of us were shooting for buying a manual JL in the first place
Sponsored