Question of gearing ratio's

stonechitlin

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be JL Rubicon
I am planning on ordering a 2019 rubicon, and this is going to be my first off road vehicle. Is it possible to regear, leaving the first gear or 2 as the tall gears, but then going shorter for the remaining 6 to get increased on road speed? The way I see it is I can't imagine needing many gears off road realistically, and I dont plan on doing extreme crawling with it.
Sponsored

DesertsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I am planning on ordering a 2019 rubicon, and this is going to be my first off road vehicle. Is it possible to regear, leaving the first gear or 2 as the tall gears, but then going shorter for the remaining 6 to get increased on road speed? The way I see it is I can't imagine needing many gears off road realistically, and I dont plan on doing extreme crawling with it.
No. What you are describing would be in the transmission. The gears are fixed at one set ratio. Fortunately the Jeeps come with a transfer case which does multiply the range down to a low crawl speed.

OP
OP

stonechitlin

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be JL Rubicon
Ok, thank you for clarifying. I was reading in another thread about a way to gain more acceleration was to "regear". Seems I misunderstood that part.

mickey3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 Corvette zo6, 2013 BMW 535i
Ok, thank you for clarifying. I was reading in another thread about a way to gain more acceleration was to "regear". Seems I misunderstood that part.
Yes you can regear the axles for better acceleration. A rubicon will come with 4.10's and you have the aftermarket option of going as low as 5.38's. Lots of opinions on this, but I went with 5.13s in a six speed manual and we love it. It seems the automatics have more closely spaced gears and have less of a need for regearing, but they benefit from it too. I think regearing it is the best money spent and creates a solid foundation for future mods, with no real drawbacks on the street.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
seeing how you are new to off roading, I will just say this, don't start modding yet

get out there stock always in a group, the rubicon is more than capable stock, learn what the limitations are for the jeep by getting stuck and was you need to do to improve its off road abilities and you can learn how to drive

mickey3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 Corvette zo6, 2013 BMW 535i
seeing how you are new to off roading, I will just say this, don't start modding yet

get out there stock always in a group, the rubicon is more than capable stock, learn what the limitations are for the jeep by getting stuck and was you need to do to improve its off road abilities and you can learn how to drive
This is great advice!!
But good luck on following it. If you are already talking about upgrades before you have bought a JL, then the mod bug will bite you hard, once you get it in your hands :)
Sponsored