Sponsored

Question for new 4XE owners, is this normal?

OP
OP

Stale

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Just an update as it's been a bit now.

Have just over 1,200 miles on it, and while it still occasionally happens, it does appear to be quieting down a bit. Originally for the first few hundred miles it was seriously loud when it occurred, though it seems to have settled down considerably. It's still noticeable, but much less so. Otherwise, still have had no seemingly related issues.

So perhaps one of the (various) electric pumps simply needs some time to loosen up a bit (and quiets down as it settles in)?
Sponsored

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase
while it still occasionally happens, it does appear to be quieting down a bit. Originally for the first few hundred miles it was seriously loud when it occurred, though it seems to have settled down considerably. It's still noticeable, but much less so.
Grandpa swore the sound of his .357 got quieter over the years as well.....

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
When my AC is on, it's really loud in the garage. Could the battery system be calling for cooling and causing the sounds.

You can hear all kinds of things without an engine running. There is even a marketing insert that came with the 4xe. My guess are some focus groups were concerned with the sounds.

Ccameron511

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Just an update as it's been a bit now.

Have just over 1,200 miles on it, and while it still occasionally happens, it does appear to be quieting down a bit. Originally for the first few hundred miles it was seriously loud when it occurred, though it seems to have settled down considerably. It's still noticeable, but much less so. Otherwise, still have had no seemingly related issues.

So perhaps one of the (various) electric pumps simply needs some time to loosen up a bit (and quiets down as it settles in)?
Thanks for all your follow up on this. How has your hybrid gas mileage been, and has it improved over time as this issue subsided? I've noticed my 4xe seems to hemorrhage gas when it's making this noise, so hoping it's just a temporary issue.

brandonh

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 dodge 1500 , 2008 town and counrty, 2003 town and country
I have heard several exhaust clamps not tight enough. Location under the drivers seat area there is a clam that isn’t tight enough. Let me know wheat you find.

Sponsored

MissOCD

First Name
Cecilia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4xe
Mine sounds super loud if the engine is cold and if the a/c is on from the start. It’s like after both have warmed up, the noise calms down.

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I am having same issue with the loud and finally went to dealer.... see attached service bulletin. Guess this is normal

Jeep Wrangler JL Question for new 4XE owners, is this normal? 6E709C22-207B-4906-B6BF-0AAD54D8C5CB
I feel like this explains the increase in rpm (and THAT associated sound) but doesn’t address/explain the “air compressor” type sound.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I feel like this explains the increase in rpm (and THAT associated sound) but doesn’t address/explain the “air compressor” type sound.
I've explained it in this thread and there are countless explanations online. TLDR - it's normal and common.

Sponsored

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I've explained it in this thread and there are countless explanations online. TLDR - it's normal and common.
I feel like if this were normal, then there would have been a ton of mentions about this noise when the 2.0T was introduced. Now it's making this awful noise mated to the electric motor? My engine (3.6L) sounds like a Jet taking off when I have the AC on at startup, or if it needs to rev up to meet the demand of the AC and there was a TSB issued to fix it. But that noise sounds like an air compressor for a nail gun, not the 2.0T motor. I have a Rubi 4xe on order so just trying to learn all I can about what to expect.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I feel like if this were normal, then there would have been a ton of mentions about this noise when the 2.0T was introduced. Now it's making this awful noise mated to the electric motor? My engine (3.6L) sounds like a Jet taking off when I have the AC on at startup, or if it needs to rev up to meet the demand of the AC and there was a TSB issued to fix it. But that noise sounds like an air compressor for a nail gun, not the 2.0T motor. I have a Rubi 4xe on order so just trying to learn all I can about what to expect.
yes, there is an (electric) secondary air pump that is active during cold-starts when certain things (assume catalysts) are below some predetermined temperature threshold. When that happens you get high idle + (very) rich mixture + secondary air pump active. edit: I went to look for the part #/diagram of the pump and now starting to wonder if it exists here?...

Last edited:

4xe Rubicon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
I am having a very similar occurrence with my 4xe Rubicon. When I first "start" it, occasionally the ICE will immediately turn on with the Run button. When it does, it elevates the idle and when it's producing exactly 1,400 rpms it sounds like there is a loose nut vibrating around in the oil pan like an ultrasonic cleaner or a really pissed of hornet. It is definitely a noise coming from the engine in my opinion.
Go above or below 1,400 rpms and it almost entirely disappears.

Are any of your vehicles RPM specific when they make this noise?
For me it has nothing to do with a warm or cold engine. It is always present at 1,400 RPM and is getting louder than when I first heard it.

I am also getting less than desirable MPG. My last trip this weekend to Toledo Jeep Fest was 230.6 miles. Full of 87 fuel and 100% battery and I am running on 35" tires.

230.6 total miles (8 electric, 222.6 gas hybrid)
15.68 total gallons of fuel used
230.6 / 15.68 = 14.7 miles per gallon combined vs trip computer displaying 16mpg?
222.6 / 15.68 = 14.19 miles per gallon (hybrid engine only)

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
@4xe Rubicon what speed were you averaging? In general, the 4xe isn't going to be any more efficient than any other Jeep on long distance highways drives. And the faster you go, the worse it gets due to aerodynamics. It's the day to day "around town" driving where the 4xe shows its efficiency strengths.

4xe Rubicon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
Ya, the rolling brick on wheels is an accurate description.:) and yes it mostly does great in our high volume <15 miles trips.

85% of that total trip was above 60mph. Cruising the interstate at 70mph, max speed was 74mph. Drove the entire trip intentionally conservative to see what kind of results I could achieve. I was disappointed to find that it performed no better than my built 2008 JKU. All the details from the trip are on this post.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/4xe-real-mpg-tank-range.73709/post-1609171
Sponsored