Sponsored

Question for new 4XE owners, is this normal?

Stale

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Question for new 4XE owners,

When you first start the 2.0L engine (assume a depleted battery, or switching to eSave mode, for example), how loud is the engine when it first starts up?

Reason I ask is I just too delivery of a JLUR 4xe, though when the engine first starts there's around a 60 second period where it sounds like a cheap compressor is running at 100-decibles (might be exaggerating a bit, but it is quite loud). I don't believe it's anything with the engine itself though, as after around 60 seconds it seems to completely stop until the next time the engine restarts cold (almost like it's an accessory shutting off). I would say that it happens 95% of the time when the engine starts up cold.

Other than the unusual sound though, there doesn't seem to be anything specifically wrong, so I'm just curious if others are seeing (hearing) this too?
Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
I've not noticed it.

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon

When you first start the 2.0L engine (assume a depleted battery, or switching to eSave mode, for example), how loud is the engine when it first starts up?

Reason I ask is I just too delivery of a JLUR 4xe, though when the engine first starts there's around a 60 second period where it sounds like a cheap compressor is running at 100-decibles (might be exaggerating a bit, but it is quite loud). I don't believe it's anything with the engine itself though, as after around 60 seconds it seems to completely stop until the next time the engine restarts cold (almost like it's an accessory shutting off). I would say that it happens 95% of the time when the engine starts up cold.

Other than the unusual sound though, there doesn't seem to be anything specifically wrong, so I'm just curious if others are seeing (hearing) this too?
Is it more of a whistling or humming noise? That's the pedestrian alert system. Since electric vehicles are silent, they need a way to alert nearby pedestrians to avoid jumping in the street or whatever so that light noise is on whenever the electric only engine is on and is off when regular engine kicks in

bkinnj

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 DDRT / '21 JLUR4xe

I am definitely hearing this and it's a bit of a concern.

bkinnj

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 DDRT / '21 JLUR4xe
Is it more of a whistling or humming noise? That's the pedestrian alert system. Since electric vehicles are silent, they need a way to alert nearby pedestrians to avoid jumping in the street or whatever so that light noise is on whenever the electric only engine is on and is off when regular engine kicks in
This is different. Definitely a cold ICE making the noise instead of the pedestrian alert system. As the OP said it's only the first 60 seconds or so.

Sponsored

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
This is different. Definitely a cold ICE making the noise instead of the pedestrian alert system. As the OP said it's only the first 60 seconds or so.
Interesting. Maybe post a video and someone here can figure it out.

OP
OP

Stale

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Interesting. Maybe post a video and someone here can figure it out.
Yeah, it happens often enough that I'm sure I can grab a video, but might be a day or two as the engine seems to need to be cold to trigger it (and then you have to be ready as it goes away in a minute or so).

It literally sounds like an electronic compressor (just much louder), and shuts back down after a bit. It's definitely not related to a pedestrian system though, as it seems to only do it when the engine is running (EV mode is effectively silent). If anyone here is familiar with the Dewalt 20v tire inflator, it actually sounds nearly identical, just at twice the volume.

I'll see if I can trigger it over the next day or so and catch it on video.

OP
OP

Stale

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Here's an example video, though the video doesn't come across quite as loud as it does in person. Interestingly after around a minute or so, the compressor type noise goes away, and the 2.0L engine sound appears normal after that (drove it for an hour on the engine alone, and the sound didn't come back until the next cold restart).

Weird.

Sponsored

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Almost sounds like an exhaust leak

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Rubicon XR
I was thinking exhaust too. My knowledge of turbos is out dated, but almost sounds like a leak at the turbo - especially with the whine.

Penguinking

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR 4xe

Wondering if it's the Electric Air Conditioning compressor. I tried looking up more on it but there seems to be limited info as to the noise level of it.

https://www.jeep.com/wrangler-4xe.html

TUNE IN TO NATURE

Quiet electric power means you can truly take in the natural sights and sounds around you. But your 4xe is unique and you may hear some unfamiliar sounds. Sounds like the whoosh of the Pedestrian Alert System when driving below 20 mph, the high voltage contactors clicking when you start up and shut down as well as the Electric Air Conditioning compressor.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Wondering if it's the Electric Air Conditioning compressor. I tried looking up more on it but there seems to be limited info as to the noise level of it.

https://www.jeep.com/wrangler-4xe.html

TUNE IN TO NATURE

Quiet electric power means you can truly take in the natural sights and sounds around you. But your 4xe is unique and you may hear some unfamiliar sounds. Sounds like the whoosh of the Pedestrian Alert System when driving below 20 mph, the high voltage contactors clicking when you start up and shut down as well as the Electric Air Conditioning compressor.
"Tune into nature" BRRRRRRRRR
Sponsored