Sponsored

Question for new 4XE owners, is this normal?

Isaacmars16

First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
For everyone still stressing about this issue I got a 2022 4xe Sahara a month ago and noticed it doing this when I switch from electric to hybrid mode. This is a normal process that heats up the engine real quick and after 60 seconds it goes quit. The car is doing what’s it meant to do so everyone should be fine. Weird opinion I actually enjoy the sound it sounds like I have a dodge scat pack for a minute and people think I got like a 392 Jeep or so, I find it funny and cool.
Sponsored

REDSEAL199

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Highaltitude 4xe
Question for new 4XE owners,

When you first start the 2.0L engine (assume a depleted battery, or switching to eSave mode, for example), how loud is the engine when it first starts up?

Reason I ask is I just too delivery of a JLUR 4xe, though when the engine first starts there's around a 60 second period where it sounds like a cheap compressor is running at 100-decibles (might be exaggerating a bit, but it is quite loud). I don't believe it's anything with the engine itself though, as after around 60 seconds it seems to completely stop until the next time the engine restarts cold (almost like it's an accessory shutting off). I would say that it happens 95% of the time when the engine starts up cold.

Other than the unusual sound though, there doesn't seem to be anything specifically wrong, so I'm just curious if others are seeing (hearing) this too?
Cold starts the motor def sounds like an old tractor motor clacking! Mine has done that since day one 26K on the jeep with zero issues.

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
Is this sound normal? It does it some nights and other nights it doesn't.

Sponsored

BigLebowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 4xe 1999 Mazda Miata
Yes that sounds correct. It is battery cooler or heater I can't remember which. There is another thread on it in here somewhere.

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
Yes that sounds correct. It is battery cooler or heater I can't remember which. There is another thread on it in here somewhere.
Thanks! I searched and couldn't find! I figured it was likely normal. Just weird to be comin gout of the back.

alex_navarro

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU
Old thread but I’ve owned a 4Xe for about 3 months now and I’m amazed at all the weird, annoying, and obnoxious noises this thing makes. I’m trying to like the car as drive it more but Jeep made it real difficult. “Working as designed” should not be an excuse for shitty engineering.

Chubba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
Sound is normal. Welcome to having an engine with DI during a cold start with the oddities of the 4xe. It's not bad engineering by any means.
Sponsored