Sponsored

Question for JLU Manual Transmission Owners...

CGAnderson

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JL
Hello! First post question here. I did some searching but didn't find exactly what I am looking for...

I have a 2015 JKU Rubicon, manual transmission. It shifts like a semi-tractor. But that's fine with me. Just the way it is. My wife just bought a 2020 JU in manual. WOW! She said it drives like her (traded in) Chevrolet Cruze. And it is just as peppy. I didn't believe her, so I drove it for the first time last week. She's right! As others have alluded to here, the shift is buttery smooth compared to my JKU. The clutch throw is shorter I'd say, by a long shot in comparison.

My question to 2020 JLU owners: Is the transmission the same as in the 2 door version? I assume it is. I can't find one anywhere to test drive. Of course, now I have new Jeep fever. Especially if the feel of the manual transmission would be the same as my wife's 2 door. Is it the same?

Sorry for the gratuitous Jeep pics! Thanks! Chris

EFFECTS.jpg
IMG_20150305_094205_1.jpg
Sponsored

crashclay

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I test drove both two door and four door models and the manual transmission seemed exactly the same to me.

I purchased a four door and on the window sticker it just says “6-speed manual transmission” and doesn’t specify a part/model like the axles...so I’d assume that it’s the same.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have the 4 door and it's quite nice. I'm still not crazy about the lack of clutch feel, seriously considering the Centerforce dual friction

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Hello! First post question here. I did some searching but didn't find exactly what I am looking for...

I have a 2015 JKU Rubicon, manual transmission. It shifts like a semi-tractor. But that's fine with me. Just the way it is. My wife just bought a 2020 JU in manual. WOW! She said it drives like her (traded in) Chevrolet Cruze. And it is just as peppy. I didn't believe her, so I drove it for the first time last week. She's right! As others have alluded to here, the shift is buttery smooth compared to my JKU. The clutch throw is shorter I'd say, by a long shot in comparison.

My question to 2020 JLU owners: Is the transmission the same as in the 2 door version? I assume it is. I can't find one anywhere to test drive. Of course, now I have new Jeep fever. Especially if the feel of the manual transmission would be the same as my wife's 2 door. Is it the same?

Sorry for the gratuitous Jeep pics! Thanks! Chris

EFFECTS.jpg
IMG_20150305_094205_1.jpg

Your wife never found the very short 1st gear bit annoying ?

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
I had to order mine because the dealers around me do not stock manuals on the lot. It is by far better in every way than the JK manual, so I don’t think you would have any regrets on making that move.

Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not yet. But I usually take off from 2nd! "Chirp"....
Yes , the motor has enough power to easily accelerate the heavy Jeep from 2nd gear I only wonder how long the clutch will last. I believe the basic warranty covers the clutch only for 12 K .

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the 4 door and it's quite nice. I'm still not crazy about the lack of clutch feel, seriously considering the Centerforce dual friction

I agree . The clutch feels very robotic . I miss the clutch I had on my Jeep Patriot .

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I dont think 6th gear is useful, whatsoever. I do like it though generally. And yes, the transmission is the same.

Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont think 6th gear is useful, whatsoever. I do like it though generally. And yes, the transmission is the same.

I think doing 65 - 70 m/h the 6th gear may be slightly beneficial but I agree it wouldn't be any problem to live without the 6th

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
'18, six speed, 35"'s, perfect. 6th gear works very well (37's will undoubtedly change that and call for regearing).
After years of heavy duty no assist clutch's, this clutch is a dream! 37,000 plus miles and haven't wished for anything more

Last edited:

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Your wife never found the very short 1st gear bit annoying ?
On 37s, 1st gear is perfect for the street. 6th was never useful anyway, I don't see any improvement in fuel economy between 5th and 6th, and 4th only loses 1 mpg... maybe.

Off-road, 1st is a bit steeper than I'd like in 4-Hi, but that's why we have 4-Lo and six gears to play with ;)