TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I think it depends on where you live. I just got my sunrider this week. It was still in the upper 80's here in tucson so I got a taste of what it will be like in the summer. It was quite a bit hotter in my jeep than with the freedom top on. On top of that, the hotter it got the more it smelled like gasoline. That is going away but it was pretty strong at the start. I dont see any way to keep this thing on in the summer, at least here in Arizona. I'm sure around June, I will be swapping out.
Hmmm... never had the odor issue. Hopefully that'll go away quickly.

I've had my Sunrider on throughout this summer ... 80s - 90s with a few days into the 100s. We've had several afternoons recently in the high 80s and once the sun goes down it's downright comfy with the top open. Once it pushes into the 90s I tend to button up and run a/c.

Can't say I've noticed a real difference between the SR and freedom panels once it gets aired out and either running the A/C or popping the top open. I'm sure it allows more heat in the summer but nothing the A/C hasn't been able to handle... and it ceases to matter once you open it up.
Sponsored

tfinnell

First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubi Recon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
-get the Twill version
-get a HF moving blanket (fold and insert under Sunrider)
-get some kind of shade for front or both (helps with wind buffeting)
-use the Velcro straps to hold the sunrider open at 55 to 75 MPH
-after install use a hot glue gun with clear or color glue sticks to fill in the front channels of the sunrider about 1 in to seal off the front edges
-drill a small hole right under the front channels where you applied the fill in glue stick
-drill a small hole under the rear of the channels (no more drips when you open the doors)
-this method has been applied to my HT, Soft Top, and Sunrider
Best Hybrid combo in my opinion and I run 3 Jeeps with this setup year round
Freedom panels be gone.
Can you post a pic of where to drill?

Patsloft

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Clubs

I wanted to hear from actual users about their experience.

1. What is the noise difference between the freedom panels and closed sunrider?

2. Do you have any wind buffeting or flapping with the open sunrider?

3. Have you had any mounting issues or leakage issues?

4.Have you noticed interior temperature difference between the closed sunrider and the freedom panels?

Thanks for any replies, information.
Not being a dick but asking us about wind noise in Jeep

OP
OP
firemk

firemk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (Punk'n)
Not being a dick but asking us about wind noise in Jeep
I started to just ignore you, but.......
I was addressing actual users of the Sunrider top and looking for constructive comparison between the freedom panel and sunrider. It doesn't appear that either fit you so I'm not sure why or how you think that your comment is beneficial. At any rate.....Have a Nice Evening!

Sponsored

Keycub

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon
-get the Twill version
-get a HF moving blanket (fold and insert under Sunrider)
-get some kind of shade for front or both (helps with wind buffeting)
-use the Velcro straps to hold the sunrider open at 55 to 75 MPH
-after install use a hot glue gun with clear or color glue sticks to fill in the front channels of the sunrider about 1 in to seal off the front edges
-drill a small hole right under the front channels where you applied the fill in glue stick
-drill a small hole under the rear of the channels (no more drips when you open the doors)
-this method has been applied to my HT, Soft Top, and Sunrider
Best Hybrid combo in my opinion and I run 3 Jeeps with this setup year round
Freedom panels be gone.
Any pics of how to do glue and drilled holes??

Pattyolc

First Name
Patty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU Granite Crystal
Chiming in with the positive reviews. One of our favorite accessories. We have an Alien sunshade underneath to help filter out the hot CA sun while still keeping that open air feel. Slightly louder than freedom panels, but you forget all about that when you can open and close in a matter of seconds and you're not trying to figure out where to put the freedom panels if your cargo area is full.

IMG_1232e.jpg
IMG_1206.JPG
Love the combo, bestop and alien sunshade..best EVER!! ..could never EVER drive without Alien now..sun is TOOOOOO HOT in Georgia

DSCN0972.JPG

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Love the combo, bestop and alien sunshade..best EVER!! ..could never EVER drive without Alien now..sun is TOOOOOO HOT in Georgia

DSCN0972.JPG
Quick question for you— can you open and close the sunrider from the drivers seat with the alien sunshade installed?

Pattyolc

First Name
Patty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU Granite Crystal
Quick question for you— can you open and close the sunrider from the drivers seat with the alien sunshade installed?
yes, but you still have to roll down the window or open door to open up thoroughly

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU

Sponsored

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I’ll say I love this sunrider top. Had it on my 2017 JKUR... had issues with poor quality bolts which they replaced immediately. Never any problems.
Now I’ve got a 2019 JLUR the first thing I did was to get the sunrider. They made it even better...certainly easier to put on and take off. Water in the channels never bothered me...and that’s an issue of the jeep frame design, not the sunrider. highly recommend this.

cheers
Patrick (uk)

Dalma

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon - Bikini Pearl
I have had this top on my JK for 3 years. It's not as quiet as the freedom panels but not bad..... unless you install a roof top tent. If you install a roof top tent switch back to the freedom panels. My wife and I went on a 3000 mile road trip last May with the Sunrider and roof top tent installed and it almost killed my wife. Picture the drummers from Kiss and Led Zeppelin getting together for a jam session on top of your jeep. At highway speeds we literally could not hear each other even if we were yelling.

I live with 5 months of non-stop rain and it never leaked a drop.
I can stop at a red light and have the top open in 30 seconds.
I can park and close the top in 30 seconds.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I wanted to hear from actual users about their experience.

1. What is the noise difference between the freedom panels and closed sunrider?

2. Do you have any wind buffeting or flapping with the open sunrider?

3. Have you had any mounting issues or leakage issues?

4.Have you noticed interior temperature difference between the closed sunrider and the freedom panels?

Thanks for any replies, information.
1. The short version, no I don't notice a difference in noise.
The long version: If anything it seems to make the Jeep a little quieter because the fabric absorbs sound unlike a hard panel. Basically the same concept as the hardtop headliner if you've got that. In regards to exterior noise, no I don't notice a difference between the Sunrider and Freedom Panels. I live and drive in a rural area, so there's not really a lot of outside noise to block though so results may vary in an urban area. FWIW, I don't hear a difference in wind noise.

2. No buffeting, flapping or other movement. Mine's solid. As noted before I'm driving rural so it's 55 mph and typically less, and I don't have much traffic going the opposite direction to create additional air turbulence. I have had it on the interstate at 70 mph, but I don't do it a lot. The time or two that I did, I didn't notice any flapping or buffeting.

3. No mounting or leaking issues. I hear about those concerns when I was looking at them, but I've had zero problems. Easy install, not a single drip in the passenger compartment.

4. No I haven't noticed a temperature difference. We don't get super hot in Ohio though, so the max temps I've seen with it are just over 90°. Time will tell how it feels in the cold, but I don't expect much of a difference with that either.

I've only had mine on for a couple months. Mine is garaged so I'll probably keep it on year round. We'll see how this winter goes.....
I was planning on doing the same. My JL lives in a heated garage, so it'll only be in the snow when going to/from somewhere, and while I'm there. No long term exposure to the snow, so I plan to leave mine on too unless I notice it's colder, or if the snow/ice look like they'll hurt it.

We appreciate all of the customer feedback in this thread!...
I can't speak for everyone, but I'm glad to support a great product. It was tough to bring myself to spend the money, but I'm glad I did. Doing it over again, the only difference I'd make is that I'd buy the Sunrider right away instead of owning my JL for a year before buying it.

Do you ave a pic of the twill version? I have tried to find the difference in both but can’t seem to find a good comparison
Not the best photos, but mine's twill.

sunrider closed resize.jpg

sunrider open resize.jpg
Sponsored