Question for 4XE owners who have had a 2.0 JL before their 4XE

alexJL

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR ordered - owned 21, 19, 14, 08
Two curious questions for new 4XE owners who have also had the 2.0 in a JL.. have some family that ordered one and charging may not always be accessible to them.

if you don’t charge it at all, does the 4XE operate seamless as if it’s a gas powered vehicle? Are there constant empty warnings or additional buttons you have to click. Basically if charging isn’t convenient can you still enjoy it when unable to charge some days or weeks.

also, if you’ve had a 2.0 JL in the past, when not using the battery, does the 2.0 in the 4XE feel the same as before for you, meaning not noticing any extra battery weight or it being sluggish etc. basically in general, does the 4XE feel like a regular JL when the battery isn’t an option for charging.
Thanks for the feedback!
Sponsored

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
Two curious questions for new 4XE owners who have also had the 2.0 in a JL.. have some family that ordered one and charging may not always be accessible to them.

if you don’t charge it at all, does the 4XE operate seamless as if it’s a gas powered vehicle? Are there constant empty warnings or additional buttons you have to click. Basically if charging isn’t convenient can you still enjoy it when unable to charge some days or weeks.

also, if you’ve had a 2.0 JL in the past, when not using the battery, does the 2.0 in the 4XE feel the same as before for you, meaning not noticing any extra battery weight or it being sluggish etc. basically in general, does the 4XE feel like a regular JL when the battery isn’t an option for charging.
Thanks for the feedback!
The 4xe will drive as long as there is gas in the tank. If you don't charge it, it'll still drive using gas seamlessly. There are no nags or extra steps. The only extra "button" is the max regen button, which recaptures more energy while you drive (the Jeep will feel like it has extra engine braking when coasting but it recaptures more energy). For some reason Jeep doesn't leave it on (they should).

With that said, drive characteristics will still be very different from the standard 2.0L. For one, it will continue to operate in hybrid mode, switching between EV and gas as you drive. The batteries will recapture some energy when driving, so the system will deploy that energy as available. If you don't charge it, it'll continue to drive more like a Prius (no disrespect implied) than a standard 2.0L Wrangler. It'll also remain more powerful than a 2.0L, and have a ton more torque available, because of that recaptured energy. The 4xe will feel better than the 2.0L even when not charged.

TimnTexas

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Blackbear
I was really interested here as well. I have a 2.0L with Superchips tune, intercooler pipe, and divertor valve. The tuner PCM swap really let’s the turbo spool earlier for quicker torque curve activation. Fun to drive, but I am wanting to check into the 4xe. One of the more recent posts that made me feel better about the 4xe was the e-save mode where you can basically force engine operation as primary if desired. It sounds like the 4xe bias as much to electric as possible with a full charge in hybrid and electric mode, so I would guess the driving experience would be a lot different unless you were to really floor it enough to activate the engine. Not that this is a bad thing, as driving silent sounds fun a Dan you really don’t need to be on the gas often, but I think it will be different. Sure they are fast when you floor them…but just wondering about the everyday experience. I saw mention of more Prius like and I think that is about the bias to battery I would assume.
Sponsored