Question for 2.0 JL owners about ESS.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
A little background. My 2020 3.6 JLUR auto when the ESS was “on” would shut off at every little stop even with the AC on.

Today in my new 2021 2.0 JLUR auto, when the ESS is “on” it does NOT shut off when the AC is on. Turning the AC off immediately causes the ESS to shut off the engine at every stop. AC turned back no ESS activation. (Outside air temp is about 85deg)

Is this something the 2.0 is supposed to do? If so, I like it because I hated the ESS on my 3.6 and had to constantly remember to turn it off which of course I would forget to do half the time.
Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I have a 2020 2.0 eTorque and the ESS will engage if the AC is on. I have the Tazer so don’t have to deal with that anymore.

I wonder if that behavior, which makes sense, is new for the 21s?

OP
OP

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
I have a 2020 2.0 eTorque and the ESS will engage if the AC is on. I have the Tazer so don’t have to deal with that anymore.

I wonder if that behavior, which makes sense, is new for the 21s?
That’s why I am asking. I am hoping it is something new to the 2021 ESS programming and that others with 2021+ can confirm if theirs do the same thing. I have researched it and can’t find anything about “updates” or “new programming” to the 2021+ ESS system.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
thought my 2021 was having issues with the ESS working sometimes and not others like it had a mind of its own, well apparently it does....Usually has to do with the cabin air temp not being cool enough yet so the engine will stay on to maximize air conditioner in my case. You can scroll through your in dash menu and it will tell you why it isn't shutting off....that's how I finally figured it out.....but since I got my Tazer it's nice just to leave it off permanently

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Yeah, Mine will typically shut off if the AC is off, come on when I turn the AC on, and if the AC is already on it will generally still shut off, but kick back on after a little bit.

Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I have a 19 2.0, and the engine doesnt shut off at a light if the AC compressor is running.

Category5Bronado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
It’s supposed to be totally dependent on if the computer thinks it can maintain the desired cabin temp. That takes into account outside temp, inside temp, climate control settings, etc. They may have modified those rules for the 2021s but I highly doubt the engine choice has anything to do with it.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
The cabin heating or cooling not being at the set temp is one of a dozen or so conditions that can cause the ESS to not turn the engine off. We have a 2.0T Recon and the ESS turns on/off if the cabin has reached the desired temp.

Lives2fish

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport JLU - Stingray
That's weird. Mine does shut off regardless of AC or not. I updated the firmware on my tazer now it doesn't remember my ESS on or off.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
ESS will kick in if the AC is on and the cabin temperature is maintainable without the compressor for a few minutes. MY ESS will kick on with the AC on. But with outside temps going up the way they are, is it's a long light and the ac air starts to blow too warm the engine will start back up even if I haven't let off the brake. There are a bunch of reasons ess won't kick in. Angle of the front wheels, air temp vs cabin temp, AC is set on MAX, defrosters on...
Sponsored