Sponsored

Question about the 392's full time 4x4

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

I read that in 4 auto 70% of the power is sent to the rears and 30% to the fronts. Is that always? Or if say there is serious wheel slippage in the back will the system ever send more than 30% power to the fronts? Just curious.

I know 4 hi is 50/50 but my question is more about driving on dry or wet roads. Thanks!
Sponsored

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
The way I understand it basically it is 100 percent to the rear until it slips then applies a clutch in the transfer case basically 50/50 when active.

Ben_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392 Granite Crystal
I've not seen anything in writing. You can find this on page 14 of the 392 Owners manual supplement:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/wrangler-rubicon-392-owners-manual-pdf.451010/

"4WD High AUTO
Four-Wheel Drive Auto High Range — This range is for normal street and highway driving on dry, hard surfaced roads. This range sends power to the front wheels. The four-wheel drive system will be automatically engaged when the vehicle senses a loss of traction to optimize traction for varying road conditions.

4WD High PT
Four-Wheel Drive Part Time High Range — This range maximizes torque to the front driveshaft, forcing the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed. This range provides additional traction for loose, slippery road surfaces only"

Still pretty vague.

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

I've not seen anything in writing. You can find this on page 14 of the 392 Owners manual supplement:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/wrangler-rubicon-392-owners-manual-pdf.451010/

"4WD High AUTO
Four-Wheel Drive Auto High Range — This range is for normal street and highway driving on dry, hard surfaced roads. This range sends power to the front wheels. The four-wheel drive system will be automatically engaged when the vehicle senses a loss of traction to optimize traction for varying road conditions.

4WD High PT
Four-Wheel Drive Part Time High Range — This range maximizes torque to the front driveshaft, forcing the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed. This range provides additional traction for loose, slippery road surfaces only"

Still pretty vague.
Hmm yea very vague actually. Sounds like it's like my Nissan GTR lol

Sponsored

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
Yeah it sends power to the front wheels upon loss of traction. That's how I read it and how I understood it when I looked into the transferase operation used to do it.

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

Yeah it sends power to the front wheels upon loss of traction. That's how I read it and how I understood it when I looked into the transferase operation used to do it.
I'm guessing it works pretty well though. With 475hp when you guys floor it from a stop is there loss of traction? Seems like it just takes off and goes.

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
I'm guessing it works pretty well though. With 475hp when you guys floor it from a stop is there loss of traction? Seems like it just takes off and goes.
Still waiting on mine. Its built but been waiting on final inspection all week. I hope it works well. Hopefully I will see soon enough.

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

Still waiting on mine. Its built but been waiting on final inspection all week. I hope it works well. Hopefully I will see soon enough.
Im jealous! Congrats and enjoy 🙂

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
It just goes. The fronts are definitely pulling.
In the wet, you can still get it very out of shape and it’s hilarious.

Sponsored

teachdocs

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 JLUR
How Jeep made the Wrangler Rubicon 392, in nitty-gritty detail - Hagerty Media

The MP3022 transfer case used in the Rubicon 392 is full-time unit previously used in the Jeep Liberty. As of 2018 it has been available in the Wrangler as the “Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System,” becoming optional on 2021 Gladiator models, too. It should be noted that this transfer case is not available with the EcoDiesel engine.

The MP3022 does not have a center differential. Rather, it utilizes an electronically-controlled clutch pack. In 4WD Hi (1:1 ratio) that clutch pack automatically shifts power between a 50 percent front/rear split to 100 percent rear, based on wheel slip. In 4WD Low, the clutch pack is locked, sending 50 percent of the power to each differential, reduced by a ratio of 2.72:1. Conventional Rubicons have a low-range ratio of 4:1.

Non-392 Wranglers with this transfer case have settings for 2H (for use on dry pavement), 4H Auto (for when things can get slippery), 4H Part-time (typical 4WD setting with power going equally to both axles), Neutral, and 4L. In the Wrangler Rubicon 392, this transfer case has settings for 4WD Auto, 4WD High, Neutral, and 4WD Low. Notably absent is the selection for 2WD. One would guess that this is due to safety; the Dodge Challenger with this engine can catch an inexperienced driver by surprise. A taller vehicle that rides on much taller tires, with a significantly higher center of gravity, plus all of that power going to just the rear wheels? Probably not a good idea.

The same MP3022 transfer case however, operates in 2WD when it is packaged with four- and six-cylinder engines. It is therefore entirely possible that some lunatic will find a way of adding a 2WD mode to the Rubicon 392 for the sake of doing burnouts. Praise be!

Quadjeeper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Occupation
retired
How Jeep made the Wrangler Rubicon 392, in nitty-gritty detail - Hagerty Media

The MP3022 transfer case used in the Rubicon 392 is full-time unit previously used in the Jeep Liberty. As of 2018 it has been available in the Wrangler as the “Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System,” becoming optional on 2021 Gladiator models, too. It should be noted that this transfer case is not available with the EcoDiesel engine.

The MP3022 does not have a center differential. Rather, it utilizes an electronically-controlled clutch pack. In 4WD Hi (1:1 ratio) that clutch pack automatically shifts power between a 50 percent front/rear split to 100 percent rear, based on wheel slip. In 4WD Low, the clutch pack is locked, sending 50 percent of the power to each differential, reduced by a ratio of 2.72:1. Conventional Rubicons have a low-range ratio of 4:1.

Non-392 Wranglers with this transfer case have settings for 2H (for use on dry pavement), 4H Auto (for when things can get slippery), 4H Part-time (typical 4WD setting with power going equally to both axles), Neutral, and 4L. In the Wrangler Rubicon 392, this transfer case has settings for 4WD Auto, 4WD High, Neutral, and 4WD Low. Notably absent is the selection for 2WD. One would guess that this is due to safety; the Dodge Challenger with this engine can catch an inexperienced driver by surprise. A taller vehicle that rides on much taller tires, with a significantly higher center of gravity, plus all of that power going to just the rear wheels? Probably not a good idea.

The same MP3022 transfer case however, operates in 2WD when it is packaged with four- and six-cylinder engines. It is therefore entirely possible that some lunatic will find a way of adding a 2WD mode to the Rubicon 392 for the sake of doing burnouts. Praise be!
I think you can get RWD with the Tazer.