Question about sky one-touch top vs 3-piece hard top

operator22

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Researching a new JLU Willys purchase. First Jeep, so please forgive what may be obvious to you all. Can the SOT frame can be removed entirely? Guessing that the result would be the same as the 3-piece hard top removed in the second photo. Curious if anyone has actually done this and whether you would do it again.

JLUR SOT .png

JLUW 3PH.png
Sponsored

trainsafe

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0
I have the SkyOneTouch. The top can only be removed and installed by a dealer. This is due to the risk of the tracks becoming misaligned and causing damage.
I honestly have never wished to remove it.

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
I second what Trainsafe says. A long, hard search in these forums will come up with a couple threads of people who have done it themselves. I remember one person even installing the SOT aftermarket. But like mentioned above, the alignment is critical and difficult to get just right. And, it's just not worth it.

OP
OP

operator22

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
I have the SkyOneTouch. The top can only be removed and installed by a dealer. This is due to the risk of the tracks becoming misaligned and causing damage.
I honestly have never wished to remove it.
Thanks for the information. Wit the SOT, can the rear quarter windows be kept on/off independently of the back doors?

Sponsored

trainsafe

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0
The rear side panels are independent of the doors. The come off with no tools. It literally takes 20 seconds per side.

trainsafe

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0
One big difference is that with the SOT the rear window (above the tailgate) always stays in place. With the hard top, that rear window is removed since it is part of the top.

OP
OP

operator22

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
One big difference is that with the SOT the rear window (above the tailgate) always stays in place. With the hard top, that rear window is removed since it is part of the top.
That's what I realized when I found out that the frame is not meant to be owner removable. I like the idea of being able to have the back of the Jeep completely open but not enough to outweigh the benefits of the SOT.

Also, the cost of the Sun & Sound package is not all that much more than the hardtop I would have gone with combined with the audio/radio upgrade that I want.

buymenow00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sahara Altitude
I always thought it was weird that the rear window remained fixed on the SOT. Wouldn't it create more wind buffeting in the cabin with everything opened up? What about air pressure on the back window at speed? I ended up going with the regular hard top.

Sponsored

OP
OP

operator22

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
I always thought it was weird that the rear window remained fixed on the SOT. Wouldn't it create more wind buffeting in the cabin with everything opened up? What about air pressure on the back window at speed? I ended up going with the regular hard top.
Don't know but I don't imagine that I would be in that configuration for long at highway speeds.

trainsafe

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0
I run around on the interstate with the doors off and top open. I’ve not had any issues. It can’t be any worse that the flat vertical windshield ;)

CMF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 2021 SAHARA (that my wife lets me drive on the weekends..sometimes.)
I have a Sahara Altitude on order with the SOT top. The wife wanted a hard top and black wasn't an option. Plus, we have nowhere to store a removed roof and we're too lazy to remove it.
Sponsored