Sponsored

Question About Jeep Value (before I take delivery today)

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Miserable as compared to being in massive debt? I doubt it.
There is an awful lot of territory in between "debt free" and "massive debt". It's where like 90% of people reside, in fact. No matter how you spin it, being debt free by my age means missing out on A LOT, and those things and memories you give up are not things you can just do later. Believe me, I know...I can't do half the stuff at my age that I did in my twenties. So I thank God that I did it back when I could, instead of staying in and making Ramen noodles every night.

So while I and many others here hear you loud and clear, we still say "thanks but no thanks".
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
NO WAY. Once you take delivery the value will drop a minimum $10K before you even put a mile on it. Probably twice that.
How do I know this you ask? Well I purchased my Grey JLU Rubicon for $49K. Took it home for the weekend and brought it back the next Monday to let the dealer (big mistake) do a lift, wheels, some accessories, etc...for additional $8K. Went to pick it up on Tuesday and the wife falls in love with a Punkin JLU Rubicon. I figured I could trade in my new Grey Rubi with less then 500 miles on it plus all the new never used accessories for somewhere close to the the Punkin Rubi sticker price of $52K. I was even ok with eating $10K more to make the wife happy.
NO. NO. NO. I was told that the absolute best trade in value they could give me for my jeep was $36K ??? Even spoiled wife said F-that. I can paint it for $21K.
Trade-in value is nowhere near what you could sell it for. Here's just one example of a 2020 for sale for about 4k off the msrp looking at the options listed. I got the dealer to knock more than that off on our brand new one. I don't know who is buying used for nearly msrp but I see them listed all day. You save thousands on stupid crap like California's $3,500 gas guzzler tax buying used, but if I'm paying new price I'm getting a new rig. It's pretty obvious what the dealer was going to make off of you had you been foolish enough to take that trade in.
Screenshot_20210118-132520_Samsung Internet.jpg

Gregicon

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
My local Jeep dealer has a decently equipped 2018 JLUR Punk'n, 22K miles - "sale" price is approx. $2200 less than full MSRP. Original window sticker is right in the ad for everyone to see. And in NH there is no advantage to buying used.
If you can't get $2200 off MSRP when buying a brand new vehicle, you should outsource your car buying process to someone else......or, you are dumb enough to buy a 3 year old Jeep for what amounts to new jeep money, I guess.
It's been sitting on the lot for over a month because 6MT. An identical, newer, more expensive Punk'n JLUR came and went in about a week.

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Futureproof your posts, OP! You really meant to say "....which I'm letting my girlfriend use, on a non-permanent basis." Right?
I'm not a lawyer, but I'd hate to see a fellow Punk'n owner lose their baby if they lose their babe...
Nah with the havoc she reeks on the interior, I don't want the thing anymore. Although nothing beats a punkin Jeep.

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I paid $30k for my loaded 2010 JKUR in 2010, I lifted it, put bumpers on, a winch, wheels, 35's on and some other small mods on it. In 2020 I sold it for $21,5k. I used that money to buy my JLUR and keep myself right side up if I ever have to sell it. Personally I don't know that I would ever go in and finance the entire vehicle cost. If I couldn't put a sizable chunk down I would just chalk it up to not being ready financially. You never know what curveball life is going to throw you and not being upside down gives me a piece of mind.

Sponsored

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
There is an awful lot of territory in between "debt free" and "massive debt". It's where like 90% of people reside, in fact. No matter how you spin it, being debt free by my age means missing out on A LOT, and those things and memories you give up are not things you can just do later. Believe me, I know...I can't do half the stuff at my age that I did in my twenties. So I thank God that I did it back when I could, instead of staying in and making Ramen noodles every night.

So while I and many others here hear you loud and clear, we still say "thanks but no thanks".
I hear ya....and kudos to those who pinch pennies and "do without" for many years to live debt free during their later years. I believe I am somewhat like you, I am middle-aged and yes I have CC bills, car notes, etc., but nowhere near having a massive amount of debt, but I (and wife) do pretty much what we want and buy the things that we "really" want, but are smart enough to have our limits. And yes, we do have a good size nest egg built up in case of emergencies. To each their own, but I never understood those that break their backs working most of their lives, sacrifice plenty, pinch pennies for decades only to have millions in the bank, while then passing away without enjoying the fruits of their labor and enjoying life (and making memories). And most of the time that money goes to their kids who can now live the good life off of their parents' sacrifice and hard work! I have seen this first-hand with family members...smh

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I hear ya....and kudos to those who pinch pennies and "do without" for many years to live debt free during their later years. I believe I am somewhat like you, I am middle-aged and yes I have CC bills, car notes, etc., but nowhere near having a massive amount of debt, but I (and wife) do pretty much what we want and buy the things that we "really" want, but are smart enough to have our limits. And yes, we do have a good size nest egg built up in case of emergencies. To each their own, but I never understood those that break their backs working most of their lives, sacrifice plenty, pinch pennies for decades only to have millions in the bank, while then passing away without enjoying the fruits of their labor and enjoying life (and making memories). And most of the time that money goes to their kids who can now live the good life off of their parents' sacrifice and hard work! I have seen this first-hand with family members...smh
It's a balance, hope for the best but prepare for the worst. We are on a jl forum so we are all guilty of over spending. A built tj will go all the places our new rubicon will and we could have saved $40k. There's something to be said for treating yourself as much as there is for saving for the future. We have retirement accounts and will be more than comfortable when the time comes. We have both sacrificed for years working long hours and taking on extra work at times. We've also tried to balance that with family vacations and making the memories that last a lifetime. You can do both, even if it takes a little longer to get to debt free as a result.

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
I recently had a used car dealer that specializes in Wranglers in Belton, TX offer me $42,000 for my used 2018 JLUR...as seen in my profile picture. I ordered it from the factory in April 2018 and received it exactly 1 month to the day later. My negotiated purchase price with the dealer was $42,215. Granted, I've done a fair share of mods to mine but $42,000 for a nearly 3 year old JLUR with just an RCH over 31,000 total miles doesn't sound terribly bad to me.

Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
In 2012 I bought a brand new 2013 JKU for a negotiated price of $27,500. I just sold that Jeep in Oct. for $26,000 privately (had 39,000 miles on it). It was still practically stock from the day I bought it with minimal upgrades. The low milage and stock form obviously netted me the top dollar. Everyone's situation is different, but expect some form of loss from when you drive it off the lot. Taxes would be a given at a minimum. Enjoy the new Jeep.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Is this some sort of investment forum now? F#$king rediculous. And Dave Ramsey is a nut job. My brothers family was torn apart by that guys advice. Kids won't have anything to do with them. Yeah they have saved money, but their life is miserable.
We're sorry to have wasted your time, but at least you were polite when pointing it out.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I think you have made some misconceptions about missing out on a lot because someone saves and invests money. As one of the other posters said it is about balance.
No, I haven't. I'm one of the "balanced". I have savings, investments and retirement. I also left little on the table in my 20's and early 30's. Still wish I would have splurged more but that's life. At least i'm not at age 40 and realizing that i've missed on out my best years because I was penny pinching. As your illustration and the comments of many others here show, you can live responsibly with debt...it's not a "you must be completely debt free or you'll be out on the streets when you're too old to work" situation as some have claimed.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Carvana is a pretty good indicator of actual market value since they use real-time auction data, and their values have been a rollercoaster the last 12 months. This was up to $45k in August. Now it’s a sad $36k. So far my last JK held its value a lot better than the JL has. This was around the same number I traded my JK in at 40 months and paid $40k for new. The JL was $55k msrp and around a $48k sales price. Point is, don’t use the JK as a marker for resale. So far the JK has been way better at holding its value than the JL.

Jeep Wrangler JL Question About Jeep Value (before I take delivery today) 1611114605753
Sponsored