Question about going bigger and cost

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
So I have a pretty modest build at the moment. 2018 JL Unlimited Sport S - 2.5" lift with 33s.

I'd like to go bigger next year and am curious what I'm looking at money-wise and what needs to be upgraded.

I've got $5000 set aside for Jeep fun next year. Will this be enough to get me 35"-37" tires and everything else that needs to be upgraded? I was thinking of going with a bigger lift as well.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Re-gearing is the big ticket item, but for everything including lift and associated suspension items (to keep your suspension geometry as close to stock), you should be inside your $5k budget depending on how much the shops around you charge for such things. If you aren't shy w/ wrenches you can shave a large portion of the bill.

OP
OP
Joe_S

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Re-gearing is the big ticket item, but for everything including lift and associated suspension items (to keep your suspension geometry as close to stock), you should be inside your $5k budget depending on how much the shops around you charge for such things. If you aren't shy w/ wrenches you can shave a large portion of the bill.
Does any non suspension things need to be upgraded to handle a larger tire, like brakes, power stearing, etc.?

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
With the non rubicon I’d personally stick to 35s to avoid the need for a lot more upgrades (regear and axle strength). The 3.45s and 8 speed should be fine with 35s. It looks like you already have wheels so I would just plan on the tires (1200 or so) and a programmer (tazer jl for $330) at a minimum.
I did similar mods on my rubicon but with 37s.
17x9 wheels were just over $500 after rebates and tires were $1300. This is for a set of 5.
Tazer jl also has ability to lower psi threshold which is nice as mine ride great at 28-30 psi.

Also consider weight of the tires. People often overlook this and I think it’s a huge factor with our v6 or turbo 4 powered rigs. If you have a big diesel truck it’s not as important but for me it was key.
Went with 37x12.5 17 mastercraft mxt that weighed 69 pounds. That’s lighter than a lot of 35s.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Agree^^^37s would be a big jump in associated costs and a bigger strain on your vehicle.My braking performance just going to 33.5s is pretty significant.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
So I have a pretty modest build at the moment. 2018 JL Unlimited Sport S - 2.5" lift with 33s.

I'd like to go bigger next year and am curious what I'm looking at money-wise and what needs to be upgraded.

I've got $5000 set aside for Jeep fun next year. Will this be enough to get me 35"-37" tires and everything else that needs to be upgraded? I was thinking of going with a bigger lift as well.
It depends on what type of terrain you use the jeep for...is it a mall crawler/gravel roads and you're aiming for looks or are you wanting to hit up offroad parks and push the jeep?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It depends on what type of terrain you use the jeep for...is it a mall crawler/gravel roads and you're aiming for looks or are you wanting to hit up offroad parks and push the jeep?
Now ChattVol would know, he's upgraded most everything on his JL :)

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
There's a lot more malls than 4x4 trails near Buffalo NY.

OP
OP
Joe_S

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the non rubicon I’d personally stick to 35s to avoid the need for a lot more upgrades (regear and axle strength). The 3.45s and 8 speed should be fine with 35s. It looks like you already have wheels so I would just plan on the tires (1200 or so) and a programmer (tazer jl for $330) at a minimum.
I did similar mods on my rubicon but with 37s.
17x9 wheels were just over $500 after rebates and tires were $1300. This is for a set of 5.
Tazer jl also has ability to lower psi threshold which is nice as mine ride great at 28-30 psi.

Also consider weight of the tires. People often overlook this and I think it’s a huge factor with our v6 or turbo 4 powered rigs. If you have a big diesel truck it’s not as important but for me it was key.
Went with 37x12.5 17 mastercraft mxt that weighed 69 pounds. That’s lighter than a lot of 35s.
Maybe I’ll just go with bigger lift and 35s then. I heard if you go 3” or more with the sport, there’s other modifications you have to do. Geometry or something?

OP
OP
Joe_S

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's a lot more malls than 4x4 trails near Buffalo NY.
I did do some off roading in Attica. It did a decent job with 33s, but bigger would be better. But yeah, not much around Buffalo.

Sponsored

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
Maybe I’ll just go with bigger lift and 35s then. I heard if you go 3” or more with the sport, there’s other modifications you have to do. Geometry or something?
I’m not sure what size lift requires driveshaft modifications, but if you don’t have the d44 rear (with limited slip/was an option) then the d35 axles may or may not hold up long term with 37s. Also 37s, may lead to a regear being more of a necessity. I was going to get a base sport and do what you’re doing. With a 2 inch lift you can fit 35s with minimal rub and I think that would be a good start for you. What kind of off-roading do you do or are you wanting to do?

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
If you already have a 2.5in lift you should be able to fit 35s now. Maybe some Rubicon or flat fenders to be safe...

Gremlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
I recently added 35 inch tires to my sport with a Rubicon Express 2.5 inch lift and have some rubbing in the rear during articulation. It is a bit more sluggish and I essentially lost 6th gear unless I am flying down the road at 85 mph. I am running a 315/70/17 Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP which run about 34.5 if my memory serves me correctly. I have some concern about damage to other components but I don't wheel very hard since it is my daily driver. I would have chosen a slightly smaller tire had I not been seduced by the 35s. The next set will be smaller.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I ran 35's for a week on a jl sport with 6 speed and it was a dog with 3.45 gearing. Lost 6th gear and it didn't crawl well...stalled pretty easily. Wouldnt recommend it.

Last edited:

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
I recently added 35 inch tires to my sport with a Rubicon Express 2.5 inch lift and have some rubbing in the rear during articulation. It is a bit more sluggish and I essentially lost 6th gear unless I am flying down the road at 85 mph. I am running a 315/70/17 Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP which run about 34.5 if my memory serves me correctly. I have some concern about damage to other components but I don't wheel very hard since it is my daily driver. I would have chosen a slightly smaller tire had I not been seduced by the 35s. The next set will be smaller.
How are you liking the rubicon express lift? Not a ton of reviews out there for it and the pricing seems super competitive. What I’ve found is that it seems to ride a little stiff, so I’m curious your take on it.
Sponsored