Question about doors coming off frequently

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Interesting, I never even thought about this! I’ll have to remove mine to remove my jeep noob status ;)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jrbrannan

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
It seems like I am not alone in leaving them off! They can stay in the little storage tray in back until I sell the vehicle... (although I might put them on in the winter, just to be safe)

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Interesting, I never even thought about this! I’ll have to remove mine to remove my jeep noob status ;)
you've had two hours... have you done it yet? No? Come on! What are you waiting for? It's easily one of the top 10 things I love about the wrangler!

CrownRubicon

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I took mine off for the summer and will most likely put them back in for the winter months. Never even had them on my 2010 JKU Sahara as they were gone when I bought it and I never had a problem.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Yup put them on for the winter. Helps keep dirt and salt out of the hinges, just grease them up good before you put them back on to help keep the muck out.

Sponsored

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
I took my JLU doors off last weekend, then put them back on for the work week. It went pretty well, but I learned a few things the hard way. Here are a few observations...

- My JL doors are much lighter than my brother's JK doors ... and the interior upside down 'handle' makes them super easy to carry.

- If you don't like the door check, remove the bolt & tap the door check into the door with a mallet. It will remain completely out of the way. But, it's a bear to pull back out. So, only tap that door check in if you know you don't want to use it.

- To use the door check when the doors go back on, I recommend the following door removal steps:
1. with doors closed, remove door bolts
2. lower all windows, then open doors
3. disconnect the door straps & power connections
4. disconnect the door check bolt (disconnecting too early can lead to door check scratching paint if door closes a little)
5. remove door & store it with door check sticking out (makes reconnecting door check easy)

reverse process to reinstall.

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
- If you don't like the door check, remove the bolt & tap the door check into the door with a mallet. It will remain completely out of the way. But, it's a bear to pull back out. So, only tap that door check in if you know you don't want to use it.
I’ve been searching all over this forum and I e only found this reference to the door checks...I’m wondering, have you had to pull out a door check? Both of my front doors’ door checks are currently stuck. I even tried putting the provided torx big through the hole to get a better grip and was unable to pull the door check completely out. I’m about to try a small piece of wood (for leverage) and a screw driver next but hoping you had an experience to share.

Megsxr750

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Gsxr750 ,2014 Mazda6,and a 2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
I’ve been searching all over this forum and I e only found this reference to the door checks...I’m wondering, have you had to pull out a door check? Both of my front doors’ door checks are currently stuck. I even tried putting the provided torx big through the hole to get a better grip and was unable to pull the door check completely out. I’m about to try a small piece of wood (for leverage) and a screw driver next but hoping you had an experience to share.
I had one that went in all the way, didn't notice it until I had to put them on tonight. I just put a screwdriver through the hole and pulled pretty hard and it popped back out. I thought i may have pulled it out too far, but it worked just fine when I bolted it on.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Stupid question time..... Are the JL's hinges aluminum?

I have a hinge mount mirror that has two nuts that clamp the top and bottom of the hinge to keep in place. I wrench them down hard so the mirror doesn't rotate at high speed. I had A HELL of a time getting the bottom hinge nut back in the hole, and the door hinge pin didn't want to drop back into place easily. It was as if the ends of the hinge were mushroomed from the clamping force of the mirror nuts.

As for nuts off or on, I had the nuts off of my JK since day one. Though, on the JL, the nut is nearly half the length of the entire hinge and looks to be a part of the bearing surface from the wear on the nuts themselves. I have been putting them back on, not just for that, but to help keep packed mud and silt from getting into the hinge. I never had this problem with my JK......because it was a 2 door and the front hinges never got sprayed with flung mud.

Packing the hinge with grease seems to be helping, but when new the hinges would get pretty stiff and squeaky after a run through silt.

Sponsored

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
you've had two hours... have you done it yet? No? Come on! What are you waiting for? It's easily one of the top 10 things I love about the wrangler!
A little late but after traveling and moving, I REMOVED THEM YESTERDAY! Just wanted to give you an update!

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
This may sound stupid, but on the bottom of my doors I noticed clear tape covering the weep holes when I removed the doors. The tape has a slit in it. Does the tape suppose to be removed or stay on?

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I took them off day one and have no issues. I also have door guides on them, so I can’t really put the bolts on anyway. I can’t foresee any real issues.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
This may sound stupid, but on the bottom of my doors I noticed clear tape covering the weep holes when I removed the doors. The tape has a slit in it. Does the tape suppose to be removed or stay on?
This has been brought up a few times on the forum over the last few months.

No one has come up with a definite answer to the question, keep or remove.

I think most guys/gals have left them there. If they were an issue manufacturing would have removed them you'd think.. Ho, ho, ho..

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara