Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
  • Banned
So I've seen several JL Rubicon's show up on lots with builds close to what I'm looking for. I'm thinking about cancelling my order and picking up one of those. The only issue is that I gave my dealer a $500 deposit down. They haven't cashed the check, and when I mentioned to him that I might want to see about getting one from another dealer if they could transfer one, he didn't seem to keen on that since they don't have any in stock to trade for it. Do they have to trade Wrangler for Wrangler doing a dealer trade? I don't want to eat $500, so I guess I COULD just call the bank and stop payment on the check THEN go to another dealer, but I don't want to be an ahole...
Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
So I've seen several JL Rubicon's show up on lots with builds close to what I'm looking for. I'm thinking about cancelling my order and picking up one of those. The only issue is that I gave my dealer a $500 deposit down. They haven't cashed the check, and when I mentioned to him that I might want to see about getting one from another dealer if they could transfer one, he didn't seem to keen on that since they don't have any in stock to trade for it. Do they have to trade Wrangler for Wrangler doing a dealer trade? I don't want to eat $500, so I guess I COULD just call the bank and stop payment on the check THEN go to another dealer, but I don't want to be an ahole...
Is your deposit refundable or non-refundable? If you put a stop-pay on a check to cover a non-refundable deposit you may experience the dreaded unpredictable results. Standard disclaimer - I am not a lawyer.

OP
OP
offcamber

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
We never discussed whether it was refundable or not and never set a price either since I wasn't ready to trade until it is delivered.

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Probley should ask the dealer if you can cancel. My dealer told me i could, no problem. Other dealers will not likely transfer a jl to them because there are not many out yet.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
We never discussed whether it was refundable or not and never set a price either since I wasn't ready to trade until it is delivered.
Ouch. Again, IANAL, but absent a signed agreement regarding the disposition of the deposit then you SHOULD be able to cancel and stop-pay if you feel you have to. Much better to get the dealer to agree with you instead, though, because if you go the stop-pay route you've really burned a bridge there. Without anything signed you have set yourself up for a he-said/he-said should the dealer want to contest your decision. Do you have any idea how long your order will be? At this point it might just be better to ride it out. Really, you shouldn't ever give any sales organization money for any kind of deal (not just for cars) without a clear understanding of what each party is agreeing to - it protects BOTH of you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
offcamber

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I've got an Affiliate Discount code so wasn't worried about negotiating price.

cbr954

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc Acadia Ford Edge
I've got an Affiliate Discount code so wasn't worried about negotiating price.
Sure you are, you said yourself you hadn't locked anything in and haven't discussed your trade in amount.

I don't see why you wouldn't walk if you want to. It doesn't sound like you have a finalized deal at all.
Sponsored