Sponsored

Question about Battery Cable bundled with Aux cables

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door JL
Sorry for the newbie question

There is a Red and white striped cable found on the passenger side, bundled with the Aux cables that is supposed to be straight to battery

Can I double tap this cable for use on a dashcam as well as an amp?

I currently have it connected to dashcam and wanting to add Alpine PSS-23WRA

(wanting to skip having to run the amp cable through firewall and directly connect to battery)

Unless someone has an easy way through the firewall on the passenger side
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Sorry for the newbie question

There is a Red and white striped cable found on the passenger side, bundled with the Aux cables that is supposed to be straight to battery

Can I double tap this cable for use on a dashcam as well as an amp?

I currently have it connected to
@999777333

You never completed your post ...

but do know that, that Direct to Battery cable, found with the passenger compartment Aux bundle is fuse protected at 10 amp.

There are a few other ways to get power to that Dash Cam of your's. Do forum search/research.

OP
OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door JL
@999777333

You never completed your post ...

but do know that, that Direct to Battery cable, found with the passenger compartment Aux bundle is fuse protected at 10 amp.

There are a few other ways to get power to that Dash Cam of your's. Do forum search/research.

Thanks for letting me know, updated.

BruceA78

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6-Speed
But the best way to run a cable to the battery is via the hood cowl and door seam. You don't need to go through the firewall but you can easily take off the hood cowl and run a wire inside the cab. This is the piece you'll need to remove to run the wire (and then put it back on) but then you shouldn't have any issues. After market cowl is just for reference making it easier to highlight the part I am talking about.
Jeep Wrangler JL Question about Battery Cable bundled with Aux cables 1635297971328

Sponsored

OP
OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door JL
But the best way to run a cable to the battery is via the hood cowl and door seam. You don't need to go through the firewall but you can easily take off the hood cowl and run a wire inside the cab. This is the piece you'll need to remove to run the wire (and then put it back on) but then you shouldn't have any issues. After market cowl is just for reference making it easier to highlight the part I am talking about.
Jeep Wrangler JL Question about Battery Cable bundled with Aux cables 1635297971328
Appreciate the suggestion :)

I've seen this way into the interior but was hoping to make it as nice as possible even if it takes longer and is way harder. ha

BruceA78

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6-Speed
This is a picture of how I ran my GMRS antenna cable from the inside, you can see the black cable between the door frame and the edge of the dash (look to the right of the air vent if you are having problems locating it).
Jeep Wrangler JL Question about Battery Cable bundled with Aux cables 1635298167974

OP
OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door JL
I like the other options everyone is suggesting to get the power cable to the interior from the passenger side, I may need to rethink my initial thoughts.

I love all the quick replies. thanks!

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I like the other options everyone is suggesting to get the power cable to the interior from the passenger side, I may need to rethink my initial thoughts.

I love all the quick replies. thanks!
You can run the wire along side the factory wiring harness behind the glove box. Poke a fish tape or hanger through the rubber gasket and it pops through to the engine bay. It helps to take the two Christmas tree clips out of the fender liner to get access to the engine side. This is the way the mopar instructions had me run power when I added the mopar auxiliary switches on my last JL. It’s easy, and the rubber seals around the wires when you pull them through.

You can see the location here
ACB24549-2E19-4C44-B336-257EE82F6107.jpeg

OP
OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door JL
You can run the wire along side the factory wiring harness behind the glove box. Poke a fish tape or hanger through the rubber gasket and it pops through to the engine bay. It helps to take the two Christmas tree clips out of the fender liner to get access to the engine side. This is the way the mopar instructions had me run power when I added the mopar auxiliary switches on my last JL. It’s easy, and the rubber seals around the wires when you pull them through.

You can see the location here
ACB24549-2E19-4C44-B336-257EE82F6107.jpeg

DUDE... this is what i was looking for!

I'll have to research how to remove the fender liner but thanks for the spot to look for! I was looking at that spot for 20 min and could not locate.ha.

---------------------------------------
Found this video for removing the fender liner.

Last edited:

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

DUDE... this is what i was looking for!

I'll have to research how to remove the fender liner but thanks for the spot to look for! I was looking at that spot for 20 min and could not locate.ha.

---------------------------------------
Found this video for removing the fender liner.

Awesome!

Do not remove the fender liner! That’s too much work and the plastic rivets need to be replaced if you do.

Just pop the two clips on the bottom (these are the reusable type) and peel it back to gain access to the back side of the firewall there’s two clips on the bottom closest to the door. Pop those and manhandle the liner out of your way. It’ll pop back into shape un-damaged when you put it back.
Sponsored

Last edited: