Question about aftermarket bumper and backup sensors

BamaBuilder86

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 Platinum FX4
Im buying the Motobilt rear bumper for Black Friday. My Jeep has the backup sensors. The bumper does not have provisions for the backup sensors. I’m just I could drill and fabricate but I really don’t want to. The sensors don’t work well as is and either don’t beep or are delayed.

my question is this, what do I do with them? I know I can turn them off permanently which I plan to do. But what do I do with the actual sensors? Can I just tuck them in the rear bumper, completely remove them, or what? I just don’t want to mess up the whole system because from what I can tell it’s all linked up.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Mine are installed but turned off. I'm guessing you could just unplug the harness and leave them off.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Unplug the harness and spend 45 minutes removing them from the bumper. Before you take them out, take your Sharpie and mark the top so you could reorient them. RockHard has their own sensor holder for both 3/16 and 1/4 inch metal bumper thickness in y for sensors along with their own case you want to put them in. I just installed the Tyger bumper and it comes ready for sensors complete with gaskets and a mount clip. Clip is a bit cheesy but we'll see how they work.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I've got a Motobilt coming my way as well. Been waiting all year for them to run their special again. The backup sensors (driver side specifically) regularly false alarms so I've had them turned off for months. I haven't looked but hope to find they are attached to a molex style connector under there somewhere that I'll just unplug and take them out with the bumper. Otherwise, it will be a zip tie job.

Edit - this was a feature I don't care about and think it came with one of the two safety packages i got. I got both because I had to have adaptive cruise control. That shet is the bees knees and use it all the time.

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
When I had one sensor out (due to tearing my wires off when installing a heavy bumper) I got dash warnings about sensors needing service. I think if you simply remove the harness......you will get warnings unless you change the settings in the brain.

I wish I would have asked about buying someones "take-off" sensor harness. The harness costs $80 and a replacement sensor costs about $30.

I have the Rock Hard 4x4 rear bumper and put the sensors back in the new bumper. I really like the sensors and they have saved me from some parking lot mishaps more than once. Always someone on foot hurrying by that comes out of no-where.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Installed my new Motobilt rear bumper. When I removed the plastic Rubicon bumper (not sure if any difference on rear plastics between models) with sensors it was a single wire harness for all including the license plate light. Not sure how they split off inside the bumper. That made things easier. I don't care about the parking sensors and have had them turned off for a long time via the dash button.

Note these sensors are only for keeping you from backing into a wall or something. The cross path detection uses sensors in the taillights and still work. This feature is great and has helped me out many times when someone sneaks up on me while I am trying to back out of a parking spot.

IMG_7933.jpg
Sponsored