Quality/Safety Difference between Body Color and Plastic Hard Top

directorjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm just starting to build out a JLU Sahara and am trying to decide if there is anything besides a cosmetic difference between the body color and plastic hard top. I am thinking about getting a Granite Metallic so I feel like the plastic will not contrast well.

Is there an actual structural difference with the body color (like metal structure) or anything safety-wise to help justify the $1000 more?? Is the body color actually "metal" or is there no difference?
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
No structural or safety difference. It's just painted with the same paint as the Jeep.

However I did get a body color hard top (bright white) to reflect desert sun. It makes a significant difference to solar heating if the Jeep is a light color.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
No structural or safety difference. It's just painted with the same paint as the Jeep.

However I did get a body color hard top (bright white) to reflect desert sun. It makes a significant difference to solar heating if the Jeep is a light color.
While I am not a fan of one color Jeeps, you present a good point.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
I'm just starting to build out a JLU Sahara and am trying to decide if there is anything besides a cosmetic difference between the body color and plastic hard top. I am thinking about getting a Granite Metallic so I feel like the plastic will not contrast well.

Is there an actual structural difference with the body color (like metal structure) or anything safety-wise to help justify the $1000 more?? Is the body color actually "metal" or is there no difference?
The body color tops are the same as the black-not body colored ones. No differences except color. With the dark grey as with black guessing body color vs. not isn’t that big a difference. You should look at the pics in the Granite Metallic thread and see if someone has one that does not have body colored fenders or roof. If yes, see if it makes a difference to you cosmetically.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
After owning a few Wranglers with matte black tops, and a few with painted hardtops, I found the painted hardtop is easier to wash and keep clean, and is a little more resistant to scratches from brush and branches due to it having a clear coat.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Is there an actual structural difference with the body color (like metal structure) or anything safety-wise to help justify the $1000 more??
Painted and non-painted hard tops are exactly the same. The difference is that the non-painted top has a black textured finish, whereas the painted top is finished with body color matching paint. The paint consists of the color base layer and finished with a clear coat layer. There is no metal structure in either top.

Is the body color actually "metal" or is there no difference?
The term "metallic" used in the name Granite Crystal Metallic refers to that paint color having a flake in it, that when looked at gives a "metallic" shine. This is opposed to a paint color such as Sting Grey which is a flat non "metallic" color.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
While I am not a fan of one color Jeeps, you present a good point.
That's exactly why I didn't get painted fenders. It doesn't matter if they get hot, they won't transfer heat inside the cabin. Plus I know they'll get scratched eventually. That's "character" on unpainted fenders whereas it's "damage" to painted fenders.

The dealer looked at me a little odd when I placed my order, but there's a method to my madness and I stand behind my choice. I think it looks good and it's functional.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
As others have already indicated the hard tops are structurally the same (and not plastic btw). Painted fenders are a personal preference. Imo, the black plastic fenders look very cheap on a $40, $50, $60k+ vehicle. But if you intend to take the vehicle off-road a lot & expect them to get damaged, they’re less costly to replace.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Black fenders being easier to maintain is complete crap.

I’ve had painted fenders since the TJs and a minor scratch is easily repairable on a painted fender. Even better is that protective film will protect against that same minor scratch.

6 months ago, I switched to textured black Rubicon fenders and within no time, they were showing the smallest scratches from clearing snow off of them for crying outloud. Something I never saw on protected painted fenders.

so I bit the bullet and had them painted and now covered with protective film.

Never black fenders again.

ED6A3089-F7C8-4EBD-9484-B07D77C868CA.jpeg

49DCE17A-11FD-4460-825C-5F6A17F82574.jpeg

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

My Sahara Altitude shipped with the body color, and I later traded it with another Jeeper for the black one.

They are exactly the same in every way aside from the outer finish. The body color is finished like your Jeep - smooth, painted, with a clear coat. The black one is slightly textured, slightly more matte.

When I was building my Sahara, it wound up being $400 more to go with the Altitude vs the regular Sahara, due to the various options. The Altitude comes with black badging *and* the hardtop headliner, the latter of which is a $550 option on its own, which made the Altitude the "duh" option, even though I didn't really want a body-color hardtop.

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Personal preference and personal use.

1) I knew the fenders were being 86ed the day it got home so plastic.
2) While I love Hydro Blue Metallic, waaaay tooooo much with a painted roof for me.

For the OP, just look a pictures and decide if the extra money is worth the look for you or not. That's all it really comes down to. I'd say the paint might be easier to keep clean and gray looks pretty good fully painted. Looks more expensive if you will, as well.
Sponsored