First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
For you even during the day? I have an (now my dads) and I can’t tell the difference.
Yeah it’s clear during the day but it’s certainly a lower resolution, there’s no doubt.
Sponsored

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah it’s clear during the day but it’s certainly a lower resolution, there’s no doubt.
For me it’s good, gets the job done.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I see no issue and I have both front and rear facing.
In fact my previous post shows a great picture.
Those expecting Navy Seal lighting on their JL need to use their mirrors more.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
All good brother. I drove my wife’s 2021 Sahara for 6 months. Both low light and resolution is unequivocally better than in my 2021 392. It doesn’t matter and I’m surprised this thread got so much attention. The end! Haha

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Thanks for the tip I don’t see anything covering the lens. I know a little bit about video and there’s definitely a resolution and sensor hardware difference from the Sahara. My bet is chip shortage, thus inferior camera to keep production going. All good. Once things get back to normal, I’ll probably swap it out.
Check the part numbers for both to see if they are the same.

I think there were inconsistencies with back up camera quality way before covid and chip shortages. My '19JLR had a really bad performance at night. Not bright enough at all. Not even with the back up lights on. The brake lights helped a little but it was hard to see anything without street lights on. There are threads about needing aux back up lighting as a result. My back up camera also malfunctioned a lot. The dreaded BLUE screen. They replaced 3 head units and a back up camera. Nothing fixed it.

Other owners of '19s reported great night time performance?

I will be bummed if the 2022 back up cameras still suck.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a JLU that I p/u in April it has a much better camera than my wife's 2021 GC 80th addition.
My rear camera is better than her front and my front facing trail camera is unbelievably great with an almost 180 degree hd view, with trail guide tires.
Weird. I had a 2021 GC loaner and it's back up camera was night and day better than my '19 JLR. Pun intended. Super bright at night and much better resolution. I even thought it was Uconnect 5. LOL. I had the GC for a month while the dealer was trying to figure out why my 8.4" Uconnect and back up camera was bad.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I have a 21 with both front a rear camera. Both are pretty good, however my 17 Ram 1500 had an absolutely fantastic rear camera, especially after I added high output LED reverse lights. My Jeep is not nearly as good especially on dark rainy nights, as my Ram,It is good enough though for me to back up my driveway in the rain at night. Ram was Uconnect 3.
The camera on my wife’s 2014 X3 has an awful back up camera, pretty much worthless at night.

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
Seriously? I've owned many cars through the years, with widely varying degrees of rear camera quality, and have never cared, nor complained about any of them, so I'm not expecting navy seal anything here, but functional would be nice. As most others have stated, daytime back up camera quality is fine on mine, nighttime in a low light setting like an unlit driveway is about on par with closing your eyes and guessing. It's a joke. And if it's raining, it's not even a funny joke. And I am not alone, either. Many here have reported the same issues with no apparent solution. Glad yours actually works though, consider yourself lucky.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 21 with both front a rear camera. Both are pretty good, however my 17 Ram 1500 had an absolutely fantastic rear camera, especially after I added high output LED reverse lights. My Jeep is not nearly as good especially on dark rainy nights, as my Ram,It is good enough though for me to back up my driveway in the rain at night. Ram was Uconnect 3.
The camera on my wife’s 2014 X3 has an awful back up camera, pretty much worthless at night.
A lot of people report the same weak lighting at night for the back-up camera. Mine was the same even with the LED group. Sucked at night.

Many people installed aux back-up lighting and that solved the problem. Aux back-up lighting will be my first mod when I get the new JLR.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

A lot of people report the same weak lighting at night for the back-up camera. Mine was the same even with the LED group. Sucked at night.

Many people installed aux back-up lighting and that solved the problem. Aux back-up lighting will be my first mod when I get the new JLR.
Yup I’m considering the same. The after market LED reverse lights on my RAM were awesome.
at least on my Jeep the camera provides a good enough view even at night in the rain.

Sponsored

bruin1md

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro
Comparing the back up camera on a Jeep, or any vehicle for that matter to a current gen $2500 mirrorless camera isn't exactly a fair comparison. But I do agree that looks terrible. That may be worse than my '08 Infiniti M35 I used to have.

My wife has had a Sahara 4xe with both front and rear cameras for about 7 weeks and I have thought the back up camera looked really good. Though I must admit I don't know that I've seen it at night.

I have 2021 JLUR on order with both cameras. No offense, but I hope it looks better than yours.

I couldn't disagree more with this.

Back up cameras were made mandatory for safety reasons. These sh*tty quality cameras Jeep is putting in don't make that goal feasible, especially at night.

In addition, the top of the line 392 should have a crystal clear camera, given that people are paying close to $80k for them. There is no reason the OP's wife's camera on her Sahara should be superior to that on his 392.
I live in a rural area where lighting is really poor at night, so for me, this is a huge issue if I get stuck with a poor quality camera

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
I couldn't disagree more with this.

Back up cameras were made mandatory for safety reasons. These sh*tty quality cameras Jeep is putting in don't make that goal feasible, especially at night.

In addition, the top of the line 392 should have a crystal clear camera, given that people are paying close to $80k for them. There is no reason the OP's wife's camera on her Sahara should be superior to that on his 392.
I live in a rural area where lighting is really poor at night, so for me, this is a huge issue if I get stuck with a poor quality camera
Back up cameras are to assist the driver see what is directly behind them so they don't back into it or run it over. They are not meant to replace the need for the driver look back to make sure nothing is coming.

Calling them sh!tty quality cameras is a bit of a stretch. In my Rubicon and in my wife's 4xe there is a good amount of noise and poor blotchy resolution if it is pitch black. It doesn't take much light to significantly reduce the blotchiness and improve the resolution and start to reduce the amount of noise. The reverse lights alone typically provide more than enough light to at least show you something is there. And in most cases it will be good enough for you to recognize what is behind you.

Could they be better? Of course, I wont deny that. Do they need to be at the level of quality to match a $2500 mirrorless, which I was calling an unfair comparison? No.

In my experience I've not encountered a scenario where the back up camera has failed me. Would I want to use it to snap a photo and print it or make a video? Of course not. But if there is something behind me I may not know what it is, but I'll see it well enough to prompt me to get out of the car and move it.

Last I checked, the primary reason people are willing to pay the premium for the 392 was to get a 392 Hemi, not a better back up camera.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Back up cameras are to assist the driver see what is directly behind them so they don't back into it or run it over. They are not meant to replace the need for the driver look back to make sure nothing is coming.

Calling them sh!tty quality cameras is a bit of a stretch. In my Rubicon and in my wife's 4xe there is a good amount of noise and poor blotchy resolution if it is pitch black. It doesn't take much light to significantly reduce the blotchiness and improve the resolution and start to reduce the amount of noise. The reverse lights alone typically provide more than enough light to at least show you something is there. And in most cases it will be good enough for you to recognize what is behind you.

Could they be better? Of course, I wont deny that. Do they need to be at the level of quality to match a $2500 mirrorless, which I was calling an unfair comparison? No.

In my experience I've not encountered a scenario where the back up camera has failed me. Would I want to use it to snap a photo and print it or make a video? Of course not. But if there is something behind me I may not know what it is, but I'll see it well enough to prompt me to get out of the car and move it.

Last I checked, the primary reason people are willing to pay the premium for the 392 was to get a 392 Hemi, not a better back up camera.
Guys it’s all good :) would be nice to have low light backup camera in 2021 in an 80K car but yes, the engine makes up for anything else. We can let this thread go

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
I can confirm that Rubi 392s and JLs with the integrated trail camera indeed have a different back up camera than non 392s with only the back up camera. I don't know all of the differences, but the camera housing and how it mounts inside the spare tire carrier is different.

I was installing at Teraflex Alpha HD tire carrier and when I was removing the camera from the stock tire carrier it was definitely different than all the online videos show. Instead of having the three allen screws holding it in place in side the housing it had a little plastic clip.

Of course I didn't discover this until after I had the matching hinged tailgate reinforcement all but fully installed and discovered that it does not work with the stock tire carrier, at least not without some additional mounting hardware that the kit doesn't come with.

After a half hour of trying to figure out how to get the camera mounted in the Alpha HD camera housing assembly I triple checked I hadn't left a part in the box. That is when I discovered a yellow slip in the bag the instructions came in. It says that Rubi 392s and other JLs that have the forward facing camera need a different mounting clip not included with the Alpha Kit. It lists the part number for the clip and the Teraflex Customer Service number to call to get it sent to you. The part is free of charge and free shipping to the customer, so I'm confused as to why they don't just include the clip instead of a yellow slip telling the customer to call to order the part. SMH...

Both my Rubi and my wife's 4xe have the front camera too so I can't comment on how the different camera compares to the normal one. I can say it isn't great in low light, but it get's the job done.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
I can't wait to see how much mine sucks when it arrives.
One of the first mods to any Jeep should be a backup light. They are terrible on the trails in stock form.
Sponsored