Sponsored

Quality of Backup Camera

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
The 2nd photo is the 392.
Yes, it looks like that pic is a cropped image of the camera meaning it's not showing the full view of the sides OR.. the non 392 Jeep has a wider angled lens camera.
Sponsored

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
We’re you able to get day time shots?

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting...so the rear camera is not common between Wranglers that do and do not have the front camera - gleaned that after reading thru this thread and another thread for the Teraflex HD Alpha spare carrier.

Now I wonder if the single-camera-equipped Wranglers are going to eventually get the same (slightly inferior) rear camera as the front-and-rear-camera-equipped Wranglers? Is it a supply chain issue? Not a real question for anyone here, just typing out loud.

I can't help but think Jeep engineers knew the new camera is inferior and just figured no one would notice or care. Hell, I'm guilty of doing the same thing where I work, it's always a trade-off and judgement call trying to balance what the customer perceives is a want or a need, versus the cost in time and hassle for us (and the customer in the end).

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Interesting...so the rear camera is not common between Wranglers that do and do not have the front camera - gleaned that after reading thru this thread and another thread for the Terflex HD Alpha spare carrier.

Now I wonder if the single-camera-equipped Wranglers are going to eventually get the same (slightly inferior) rear camera as the front-and-rear-camera-equipped Wranglers? Is it a supply chain issue? Not a real question for anyone here, just typing out loud.

I can't help but think Jeep engineers knew the new camera is inferior and just figured no one would notice or care. Hell, I'm guilty of doing the same thing where I work, it's always a trade-off and judgement call trying to balance what the customer perceives is a want or a need, versus the cost in time and hassle for us (and the customer in the end).
True and most customers probably won't care but we're enthusiasts. I will look for a better option when all this craziness finally settles down.

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
For what it's worth, it's due to the fact that the cameras are made by different suppliers. We manufacture the cameras on the wrangler and gladiator that have the front and back. We are not sourced for the jeeps that only have the rear camera. In our defense, the camera might not be as clear, but that's because of the price point and specs that Jeep was asking for. With the front and rear cameras, there is an ECU that goes along with it.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
For what it's worth, it's due to the fact that the cameras are made by different suppliers. We manufacture the cameras on the wrangler and gladiator that have the front and back. We are not sourced for the jeeps that only have the rear camera. In our defense, the camera might not be as clear, but that's because of the price point and specs that Jeep was asking for. With the front and rear cameras, there is an ECU that goes along with it.
No blame my friend. I had a 2021 Mercedes with superb cameras/sensors. No doubt Jeep cheaped out.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Have you tried swapping cameras with your wife's Jeep yet? I bet it works.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner

Sponsored

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
@MojitoJLUR Do you know if simply swapping in a better camera (if that's even an option) would be a decent solution? FWIW, I'm really only looking for a better quality nighttime image, since the daytime one is decent enough in my op. TIA

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
Hello I have a question for anybody that has two wranglers right now.

My back up camera on my 392 is significantly worse both in the day and especially at night than my wife’s 2021 Sahara. It’s a night and day difference.

Do I absolutely care? No. I just noticed it and wanted to see if anyone else had a similar situation. My assumption is maybe due to the chip shortage they couldn’t source the same resolution and size of sensor backup camera.

I’ll try to attach some photos later today.

I noticed the same thing. I currently have a 2020 JLUR and a 2021 JLUR 4XE and noticed that the backup camera on the 4xe particularly at night is a much lower quality image.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
I noticed the same thing. I currently have a 2020 JLUR and a 2021 JLUR 4XE and noticed that the backup camera on the 4xe particularly at night is a much lower quality image.
Yeah daytime is not incredible but it’s livable. The low light sensitivity of the sensors on these cameras are garbage.

I own Canon R6. The amount of ISO you can bump these new cameras up to without sacrificing image quality is insane. Sensor technology is at its best. So no excuses for a backup camera in 2021.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
I’m curious what our cameras are like when we pick up our jeeps.