First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Hello I have a question for anybody that has two wranglers right now.

My back up camera on my 392 is significantly worse both in the day and especially at night than my wife’s 2021 Sahara. It’s a night and day difference.

Do I absolutely care? No. I just noticed it and wanted to see if anyone else had a similar situation. My assumption is maybe due to the chip shortage they couldn’t source the same resolution and size of sensor backup camera.

I’ll try to attach some photos later today.
Sponsored

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport

My back up camera on my 392 is significantly worse both in the day and especially at night than my wife’s 2021 Sahara. It’s a night and day difference.

Do I absolutely care? No. I just noticed it and wanted to see if anyone else had a similar situation. My assumption is maybe due to the chip shortage they couldn’t source the same resolution and size of sensor backup camera.

Remove the protective film the dealer left on the outside of the camera..lol… Just a thought maybe not but worth checking it out to see if there is a piece of protective plastic over it good luck!

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Remove the protective film the dealer left on the outside of the camera..lol… Just a thought maybe not but worth checking it out to see if there is a piece of protective plastic over it good luck!
Thanks for the tip I don’t see anything covering the lens. I know a little bit about video and there’s definitely a resolution and sensor hardware difference from the Sahara. My bet is chip shortage, thus inferior camera to keep production going. All good. Once things get back to normal, I’ll probably swap it out.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the tip I don’t see anything covering the lens. I know a little bit about video and there’s definitely a resolution and sensor hardware difference from the Sahara. My bet is chip shortage, thus inferior camera to keep production going. All good. Once things get back to normal, I’ll probably swap it out.
You get a picture?

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
You get a picture?
Wife is at work. I will definitely post a picture this evening.

I actually did photography and videography with my brother early on. Weddings and corporate stuff. I still love video technology and try to stay current. There’s no doubt there’s a different sensor in this camera then on my wife’s Sahara, but I also understand why this is the case due to current global supply constraints.

Sponsored

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
Wife is at work. I will definitely post a picture this evening.

I actually did photography and videography with my brother early on. Weddings and corporate stuff. I still love video technology and try to stay current. There’s no doubt there’s a different sensor in this camera then on my wife’s Sahara, but I also understand why this is the case due to current global supply constraints.
Hopefully they can replace it some how after the fact when it’s normal. Curious to see mine whenever it gets here

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392

Same here with mine (like you, the night time view is considerably worse than my departed JLUR). I'm having some other UConnect issues (including very intermittent screen flickering) that I was going to have checked out when I get around to it. I will raise the camera resolution thing (off chance it's a software thing) and let you know if they tell me anything meaningful.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have the front trail camera? There is a significant difference between my '21 JLUR with the front trail camera and the other half's '21 JLU 80th AE with hers being better. My Gladiator with the front trail camera was the same (lower quality rear image).

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Do you have the front trail camera? There is a significant difference between my '21 JLUR with the front trail camera and the other half's '21 JLU 80th AE with hers being better. My Gladiator with the front trail camera was the same (lower quality rear image).
I do have the front camera. So each Jeep gets allocated a set number of pixels and if you have two cameras, they have to be shared. Would be very bad news if they ever made a 360 camera available for our Jeeps.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

they might have decreased the quality of the camera. it has never been great at night, but it is really good during the day. my 2018 JL base sport had much better quality audio than my 2019 Sport S. The quality was actually really nice on the 2018 and 2019 it is mediocre. cost savings is my guess.

Sponsored

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Hopefully they can replace it some how after the fact when it’s normal. Curious to see mine whenever it gets here
I totally agree with you. I’m hoping for the same thing I’m even willing to pay for it.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Same here with mine (like you, the night time view is considerably worse than my departed JLUR). I'm having some other UConnect issues (including very intermittent screen flickering) that I was going to have checked out when I get around to it. I will raise the camera resolution thing (off chance it's a software thing) and let you know if they tell me anything meaningful.
Yeah let me know what they say. Do you have the front facing trail cam?

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Yes I do have the front trail camera. This is interesting.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
I do have the front camera. So each Jeep gets allocated a set number of pixels and if you have two cameras, they have to be shared. Would be very bad news if they ever made a 360 camera available for our Jeeps.
That just sounds odd to me though. That’s not typically house sensor technology works inside of a camera. I mean it could be possible. The same sensor is processing both cameras, but completely untraditional in terms of how it should be configured.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
That just sounds odd to me though. That’s not typically house sensor technology works inside of a camera. I mean it could be possible. The same sensor is processing both cameras, but completely untraditional in terms of how it should be configured.
Hah, I was joking. I have no idea how it really works.
Sponsored