Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase

OffRocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
This is interesting. If they were to relax the specs to allow for a poorer sensor, wouldn't they have to drop the price accordingly? I know they haven't publicly announced the specs of their cameras, but they could also just as well then put in a black and white 16 x 16 sensor and call it good. That would be technically still a camera, but would be very lame.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
The fact that two of you guys missed it speaks volumes of my joke telling ability.
Logically it could make some sense, but also. I see something because someone points out a flaw or a possible flaw it’ll bug the hell out of me lol

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Hah, I was joking. I have no idea how it really works.
Haha got it. Yeah it’s usually processed at the camera unit level. The sensor shouldn’t be far from the lens.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
I do have the front camera. So each Jeep gets allocated a set number of pixels and if you have two cameras, they have to be shared. Would be very bad news if they ever made a 360 camera available for our Jeeps.
LOL: What I am picturing….

Jeep Wrangler JL Quality of Backup Camera D8114C83-D0CB-4AC5-B838-4D6D0D76C55C

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I have a JLU that I p/u in April it has a much better camera than my wife's 2021 GC 80th addition.
My rear camera is better than her front and my front facing trail camera is unbelievably great with an almost 180 degree hd view, with trail guide tires.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Yea my camera is dismal, especially at night. My 2.0JL was much better. Actually really amazed me how good the 20 was. Looked HD in comparison.

With that said I really don't care as the rest of the thing is soooo much better.

Sam

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Hello I have a question for anybody that has two wranglers right now.

My back up camera on my 392 is significantly worse both in the day and especially at night than my wife’s 2021 Sahara. It’s a night and day difference.

Do I absolutely care? No. I just noticed it and wanted to see if anyone else had a similar situation. My assumption is maybe due to the chip shortage they couldn’t source the same resolution and size of sensor backup camera.

I’ll try to attach some photos later today.
I do not have a 392, but for reference, I do have a June 2021 built 4xe. I have both cameras and many passengers are commenting on the quality of the cameras. Not an issue for me. (I do not have other Jeeps to compare to.) Maybe take it in to have it checked out.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I do not have a 392, but for reference, I do have a June 2021 built 4xe. I have both cameras and many passengers are commenting on the quality of the cameras. Not an issue for me. (I do not have other Jeeps to compare to.) Maybe take it in to have it checked out.
Do you have a front facing trail camera? I don’t think it’s broken it looks like it’s handling the resolution and low light precisely how capable the sensor was designed.

Sponsored

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a front facing trail camera? I don’t think it’s broken it looks like it’s handling the resolution and low light precisely how capable the sensor was designed.
Yes, I have both the front and rear facing cameras. Your point was that you thought your 392 had a worse camera than your wife's Jeep, so I was just confirming that my 4xe Jeep, with both cameras appears to have pretty good quality. It's still strange that it would have a worse quality than your other Jeep.

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
For whatever it's worth, I looked into adding the factory front facing camera to a 392 I initially ordered without one, (not the 392 I ended up with, long story..) and I was told that adding the factory front one would require changing the rear camera as well, as the rear one that comes on JL's without the front camera is different, and incompatible with the factory front camera. Why that is though, I have no idea.
Sponsored