Sponsored

Quality of Backup Camera

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
All good brother. I drove my wife’s 2021 Sahara for 6 months. Both low light and resolution is unequivocally better than in my 2021 392. It doesn’t matter and I’m surprised this thread got so much attention. The end! Haha
I'm glad you brought this up, unfortunately it was after I ordered or I probably would have ditched the front camera. I already thought the resolution of my 2020 JL backup camera was mediocre at best, didn't expect that adding an extra camera would make it worse!
Sponsored

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Well, it sucks. The backup camera is terrible. I hope there is a fix at some point for this.
Front camera is very nice.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Well, it sucks. The backup camera is terrible. I hope there is a fix at some point for this.
Front camera is very nice.
If you throw some light back there does it help? My wife's rear cam is ok, and we have front and rear. (JL 2 DR).

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
If you throw some light back there does it help? My wife's rear cam is ok, and we have front and rear. (JL 2 DR).
Nope. It's bad in the daylight and almost useless at night. My previous JLUR cameras were the cat's ass.

GatorWrangler

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR XR
Is this issue isolated so far to only 392s with front and rear cameras? or have other '21 JLUR's with front and rear cams also shown the same?

Sponsored

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Nomad, dog-father, Jeep enthusiast
This is exactly what I did to improve the rear camera on my '21 JLR. I installed the Oracle backup lights and it's a massive, massive difference at night in quality on the display. It used to be all pixelated and washed out, now it lights the back up even against house lights as if it was daylight. It's incredible. Highly recommend you do that if you are dissatisfied with the nighttime backup camera view on the display. No idea about the daytime display or how to improve that.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I haven't had a single complaint on my backup camera (2019 JLR) since my 8.4" radio screen died two months ago.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Nope. It's bad in the daylight and almost useless at night. My previous JLUR cameras were the cat's ass.
Yeah it’s pretty much useless at night but I’m not caring that much about it anymore. I’m more focused on a steering/alignment issue right now.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Yeah it’s pretty much useless at night but I’m not caring that much about it anymore. I’m more focused on a steering/alignment issue right now.
Issues with the XR?

Sponsored

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
I also noticed the reduced quality of the rear camera on my 392 with front facing camera.

recently, I swapped out the stock rear tire carrier on my 392 and installed the AEV rear bumper and tire carrier. I took the 392 stock carrier and put it on my 2019 JLUR that I was selling. A few things I noticed:
  1. The rear cameras are different. So much so I had to mod both tire carriers to make them fit.
  2. I couldn’t just “swap” them. I tried to move the “better“ camera from the 2019 to my 392 and the cables have different ’grooves’ so the cameras wouldn’t just plug and play.
  3. Even after I tweaked things so the cameras would plug in on opposite vehicles, neither of the systems would recognize the new camera (The image was 100% solid black) So I had to swap them back to their original vehicle and everything worked fine.
not sure what this helps, but it’s clarity for sure.