Quality Locking Hood Latch

Iowa_Wrangler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Firecracker Red, 2022 392 On Order
Why hasn't someone made a high quality locking hood latch? There are "choices" and some are better than others, but nothing stands out to be a true #1. I'd love to do the Mopar locking hood but I have the front facing camera so that's out.
Sponsored

morlan52

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Occupation
SCADA Engineer
I ran the Bolt hood lock on my JK and loved it. It was the one that used the OEM key.

With my JL I have the same issue as you since I have the front camera and the Bolt one won't work so I'm curious as to what other comparable quality solutions are available.

griffinm

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Why hasn't someone made a high quality locking hood latch? There are "choices" and some are better than others, but nothing stands out to be a true #1. I'd love to do the Mopar locking hood but I have the front facing camera so that's out.
Totally agree. Following as I have the front camera as well and would love a quality lock solution.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I think it's still a situation where you have to choose between a quality hood lock (Bolt or Mopar) and no front trail camera, or a front trail camera with so-so side hood latch locks.

jim00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I have the Rampage Locking Hood latches. Very solid / heavy duty, but expensive. No issues with them over he last 4 months. As with all locks, a bit of graphite every once in a while keeps them from getting stuck by being out in the elements.

Sponsored

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I have the Rampage Locking Hood latches. Very solid / heavy duty, but expensive. No issues with them over he last 4 months. As with all locks, a bit of graphite every once in a while keeps them from getting stuck by being out in the elements.
We had Rampage locks on our 2013 JK. After about a year, one of them quit working. Fortunately, it quit working in the unlock position. After many emails, etc., to the company asking if there was anything I could do to get the lock working again I never received a reply. I wasn't asking for a free replacement, just some ideas on how I might get it to work again.

I learned from that experience that Rampage couldn't care less about a customer once they have their money. Some people think Rampage locks look like they belong on a piece of Samsonite luggage rather than a Jeep anyway.

OP
OP
Iowa_Wrangler

Iowa_Wrangler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We had Rampage locks on our 2013 JK. After about a year, one of them quit working. Fortunately, it quit working in the unlock position. After many emails, etc., to the company asking if there was anything I could do to get the lock working again I never received a reply. I wasn't asking for a free replacement, just some ideas on how I might get it to work again.

I learned from that experience that Rampage couldn't care less about a customer once they have their money. Some people think Rampage locks look like they belong on a piece of Samsonite luggage rather than a Jeep anyway.
I've also heard bad things about Rampage. Quality and customer service are poor. They are on my "do not buy" list.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Huge fan of the idea being surfaced here - the lack of quality hood locks seems to be a major gap, at least if you’re running the front cam. I emailed one manufacturer recently to say - hey this is underserved and no doubt you guys could make a killer made in USA option. Maybe the market is too small to care…

Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I bought the cheap locking latches from Amazon mainly to serve as a visual deterrent. Once I took my Jeep to the dealer for service and forgot to unlock them even though I left the key in the cupholder. Instead of calling me, the service dept just broke both locks and never said a word.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I also have the OEM front trail cam. I wanted locking side hood latches that looked factory. I purchased a pair from Amazon and they lasted 4 weeks before the torsional spring on the latch bar broke. I purchased a similar design from Amazon, but a different brand with a barrel style lock cylinder, and the second set lasted about 6 weeks before one of the lock cylinders jammed. So I went from 4 weeks to failure to 6 weeks to failure, so I am moving in the right direction. I purchased a 3rd hood lock set from Amazon. The brand was Sukemichi JL Hood Latches. I do not know how long they will last, but it has been about 15 weeks so far. This is a world record for me!

Jeep Wrangler JL Quality Locking Hood Latch lock

OP
OP
Iowa_Wrangler

Iowa_Wrangler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300k jl's sold per year. none have locks from the factory. In the 4 years of production, there are approximately 1 million JL's out there. So, if 10% of buyers want a quality solution, a 100,000 unit run wouldn't be enough to manufacture for a profit? It doesn't even seem to be a difficult thing to do. In another 4 years there will be another million so.......

Even if we cut that to 5% or 50,000 units. Price them at $75. The total is almost $4 million. Even if all costs are half, that's a 2 million profit.

Come on manufacturer's, do it!

One last thing. If your a manufacturer, let it be known, buyers will pay crazy amounts for something of high quality so, double the price to 150 and make it out of titanium with a super high quality covered lock. 8 million in sales.

Talk to me

OP
OP
Iowa_Wrangler

Iowa_Wrangler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also have the OEM front trail cam. I wanted locking side hood latches that looked factory. I purchased a pair from Amazon and they lasted 4 weeks before the torsional spring on the latch bar broke. I purchased a similar design from Amazon, but a different brand with a barrel style lock cylinder, and the second set lasted about 6 weeks before one of the lock cylinders jammed. So I went from 4 weeks to failure to 6 weeks to failure, so I am moving in the right direction. I purchased a 3rd hood lock set from Amazon. The brand was Sukemichi JL Hood Latches. I do not know how long they will last, but it has been about 15 weeks so far. This is a world record for me!

Jeep Wrangler JL Quality Locking Hood Latch lock
Looks like the ones I just purchased. Made out of some type of plastic vs metal and a round style locking mechanism. I think I paid $40 and a very low expectation but like I said in the opening, there isn't much to choose from. As soon as a high quality option abounds, you will see everything rushing to try it out. Word gets out fast.
Sponsored