Quake LED Halo Review

otisroy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
No, I wouldn't say true plug and play. Those of us with halogens don't have the fourth pin in the headlight connector to power the halo. The halo is powered by the controller. You have to get power to the controller, easy enough if you have the AUX switches. Then you run a set of cables from the controller to the headlights and fogs if you swap those. The hardest part of the install was getting to the turn signal wires for the T-taps.

If you skip the turn signal taps you could probably do the whole thing in half an hour. Add a few more minutes if you undo all of the clips in the cable trough on the firewall to route your cables that way.
Sponsored

yellolab

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 718 Boxster, Hydro Blue 2 door
Occupation
sales
Are these Quake LED’s a drop in replacement as in no splicing, I have the halogens on my JLU Sahara and looking for a true plug and play LED with halo
Kinda. You need to run a wire for power to the controller box that comes with it(for the RGB features as well as the DRL Halos). Also pick up ground somewhere.
I used a add-a-circuit to the fuse box for power.
That’s all.

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
No, I wouldn't say true plug and play. Those of us with halogens don't have the fourth pin in the headlight connector to power the halo. The halo is powered by the controller. You have to get power to the controller, easy enough if you have the AUX switches. Then you run a set of cables from the controller to the headlights and fogs if you swap those. The hardest part of the install was getting to the turn signal wires for the T-taps.

If you skip the turn signal taps you could probably do the whole thing in half an hour. Add a few more minutes if you undo all of the clips in the cable trough on the firewall to route your cables that way.
How did you access each turn signal wire, and did you just run power and ground to the aux switch?

otisroy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
How did you access each turn signal wire, and did you just run power and ground to the aux switch?
You have to unwrap the fabric loom tape to access the turn signal wires. It's in a bit of a tight space and getting the tape off the passenger side was a huge pain in the @$$. I'm not 100% sure the juice was worth the squeeze. The amber flashing halo is a definitely a cool feature if you trim or replace your factory fenders though. It may even keep you legal depending on the statute in your state.

One of my big regrets is not getting the tow package so I don't have the aux switches. I used a fuse tap from O'reilly and ran it to one of the heated seat circuits(socket 57), 'cause, well...Florida. No heated seats needed. There's a ground connection on the body right behind the battery, in front of the fuse box. The kit comes with a ring terminal you can crimp and/or solder on to the controller ground wire.

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
You have to unwrap the fabric loom tape to access the turn signal wires. It's in a bit of a tight space and getting the tape off the passenger side was a huge pain in the @$$. I'm not 100% sure the juice was worth the squeeze. The amber flashing halo is a definitely a cool feature if you trim or replace your factory fenders though. It may even keep you legal depending on the statute in your state.

One of my big regrets is not getting the tow package so I don't have the aux switches. I used a fuse tap from O'reilly and ran it to one of the heated seat circuits(socket 57), 'cause, well...Florida. No heated seats needed. There's a ground connection on the body right behind the battery, in front of the fuse box. The kit comes with a ring terminal you can crimp and/or solder on to the controller ground wire.
Awesome, thanks for the tips, they’re sweet lights!

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Really like the lights and I’m pretty handy but as stated by another member I can burn toast so I’m guessing I will pass on the halos and just get an LED package ( bulbs) from DD and be done, keeps it simple for me by just swapping bulbs

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Anybody here use the fuse tap solution for DRL’s? Please provide pics if possible and did you use a mini fuse?

yellolab

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
sales
Anybody here use the fuse tap solution for DRL’s? Please provide pics if possible and did you use a mini fuse?
I did. Used a add-a-circuit mini, in the cargo power fuse spot.

CORRECTION IT WAS THE MICRO2

Last edited:

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I did. Used a add-a-circuit mini, in the cargo power fuse spot.
I got a mini and it was too big. Have to go get a micro2 tomorrow. Man, the easiest things are so difficult.

Last edited:

yellolab

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
sales
I got a mini and it was too bag. Have to go get a micro2 tomorrow. Man, the easiest things are so didficult.
Oh you are correct, it was the micro2!

Sponsored

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Quake seem to be the first out with the bracket solution but in-person, these headlights look really small (personal taste). I hope they come out with a full 9-inch solution within the next year. Rob at Quake is a great guy to work with so I will keep an eye out for their new products.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The white halos (Daytime Running Light) are legal in every state and the colors were designed for fun but legal in many states. Check with local

Halogen housing reflectors are not designed for LED lights. The LED diodes are in the approximate place they are not identical to the halogen bulb filament. The reflector is based on precise filament size and position, and having an omni-directional light source. The minute changes to size and position will have significant consequences on beam pattern. But more importantly, LEDs produce directional light fired at the sides of the reflector and will not illuminate the reflector surface uniformly like a halogen bulb resulting in loss of performance. The upper rear portion of the reflector responsible for distance projection is very poorly illuminated by the LED design, which also results in loss of distance illumination. Yes they will definitely be a better color light but not an optimal choice.
Every state follows the federal vehicle standards. As a retired LEO I know the red and blue in the front are reserved for police, fire, ambulance in every state and in some states government snow plows and the like. Green is reserved for military. Like I tell everyone that wastes their money on colored lights it gives cops a good reason to pull over people to check other things, like drunk, stoned, warrants, guns, etc. We arrest quite a few people for things like this. Every day people on the interstates/highways are pulled over because they didn't signal, had expired registeration, were speeding, illegal equipment and they were transporting hundreds of pounds of drugs from the pot states to other states. Never met a smart criminal.

Dennis23d

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
do these work like regular headlights.. meaning if i turn the car on and turn the lights on like regular OEM, they do? or do i have to turn them on with a different on switch

RRRENEGADE

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL LJ TJ CJ YJ WILLYS
do these work like regular headlights.. meaning if i turn the car on and turn the lights on like regular OEM, they do? or do i have to turn them on with a different on switch
The headlights are direct plug and play. The RGBs and turn signals plug into the fender harness and once installed they work like the factory lights and turn signals. You can change the colors VIA the app. Quake also just came out with a non RGB version for those who do not need/want the RGB colors. They are $200 less.

Jessicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara
B3F7481D-F37D-4660-B2B7-F5544BFE1F90.jpeg
Quake Quad Lock system, headlights, fog lights rock lights, 3” cubes, 52” light bar, universal led controller
Sponsored

Last edited: