Sponsored

Quadratec QRC Stubby Bumper Review

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Just installed my Quadratec QRC Stubby Bumper
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt/stubby-without-winch

Bumper arrived a couple days earlier than expected, very well packaged and in flawless condition :)
Bumper is very well built and no lightweight @ 110 lbs. , the bumper is made from 6 gauge plate and the winch support plate is over 7mm thick! Good weld quality/integrity and the powdercoat finish is perfect.

The only tough aspect of the install was installing the fog lights, it was hard to keep the nut & washer together as you try to thread the bolt through the mounting hole. It was tight to get in there, I ended up keeping the nut/washer together w/ some blue painters tape and then holding that tape under the mount to thread the bolt through, was pretty easy after that trick :)

Mounting the bumper to the Jeep frame was simple enough but need to keep the bumper loose until you get the 4 outer bolts threaded into the bumper as there's little room to get all those bolts threaded without any binding or cross threading. Luckily I backed one bolt out before crossing the threads but would be pretty easy to do if you're not careful.

Mounting the winch to the bumper was straightforward although you might want to mount the winch first as there's some tight areas to work with once the bumper is already installed.

I installed the winch after the bumper was installed and took a bit longer since the winch wiring is really tight behind the winch and trying to get to the back winch bolts is pretty tight w/ that angled lower winch support. There are two large cutouts on the underside of the winch plate so you can get your hands in there to install the winch bolts, just a bit tight.

The winch plate has a 4" drop so your winch is low profile for best air flow to the grill.

All the bumper holes to the frame, winch plate, fairlead mount, and fog lights were all spot-on, and no need to do any adjustments to the fog light harnesses. There is a thick rubber sleeve included that goes over the stock fog light wire harness to keep it protected even better than stock :).

The included light bar mounts are well placed w/ 13" & 22" bolt spacing and are hidden when looking at the bumper straight on. Gives you multiple options for light bars & pod lights.

This bumper will work with the 3 bolt Sport fog lights, and the 4 bolt Rubicon/Sahara fog light w/ plastic bumper (will NOT work w/ the fog lights from a Rubicon w/ Steel bumper).

All said, I'd give this an A+ from packaging all the way to the installed finish, and for the nice price point you get a huge "bang for the buck"!

Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec QRC Stubby Bumper Review IMG_0347.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec QRC Stubby Bumper Review IMG_0351.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec QRC Stubby Bumper Review IMG_0352.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Iā€™ve looked at this one and liked it, but didnā€™t see a matching rear bumper. Whats your plans? How much did the front squat after install?

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Iā€™ve looked at this one and liked it, but didnā€™t see a matching rear bumper. Whats your plans? How much did the front squat after install?
Not sure about rear bumper plans, lots of options that should go well though since the front bumper doesn't have any upward angles or is too busy :)
Front dropped about a 1/2" (bumper and 80 lb winch) on my Rubicon suspension. Here's a before and after
Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec QRC Stubby Bumper Review IMG_0253.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec QRC Stubby Bumper Review IMG_0346.JPG

Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Is that logo a sticker or something more permanent?

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Is that logo a sticker or something more permanent?
AFAIK it's just a thick sticker, might contact quadratec for confirmation though, but I doubt it's anything permanent.

Quadratec

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quadratec.com
Vehicle(s)
CJ, YJ, XJ, TJ, JK, JL
Hey there!

Thanks for the shout out! The bumper looks awesome on your Jeep! Just wanted to let the forum members know that we do offer a discount on all applicable products to the forum members! Just send us a PM with your name and address as well as the part numbers you wish to order and we will get back to you ASAP with quote! Have a great day!

-Justin

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I have the full width. I agree about mounting the fogs, holding the nuts in place was a challenge. The worse decision though, was installing the winch after I mounted the bumper. A lot of Jeep yoga was required to get my arm in the right position. A second elbow in my forearm would have helped.

ā€˜The tubes on the ends are pretty thin. They wonā€™t take a good hit, but theyā€™re good enough for protecting the fenders from brush and saplings.

The Smittybilt X2O sits as close to the grille as it can possibly get. Maybe 1/8ā€ of clearance. Plenty enough for normal operation, but thereā€™s no hope of pulling off the grille without at least removing the relay control box on top of the winch.

Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec QRC Stubby Bumper Review QERBDf7l

Funny fact......it would have cost me more to ship it myself back to quadratec than what I paid for it with free shipping. Excellent value.
Sponsored