Sponsored

Quadratec QRC full width front bumper installed

BigJimSlade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I installed my new Quadratec QRC full width front bumper today along with my Smittybilt X20 Comp 10K. I'm very happy with both products so far. Both were very easy to install by myself. The QRC showed a UPS shipping weight of 115 pounds. I believe the winch is at maybe 50 pounds, so I have a little more weight out front than I did before with the sport plastic bumper. The winch cables reached the battery no sweat. So far I couldn't be happier. Thanks Quadratec and Smitty.

20190331_140625.jpg

20190403_170954.jpg

20190403_171000.jpg

20190403_171033.jpg
Sponsored

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I just ordered the same bumper and winch. Any hiccups during instal? Were the lights easy to change over?

OP
OP
BigJimSlade

BigJimSlade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I just ordered the same bumper and winch. Any hiccups during instal? Were the lights easy to change over?
Three of the six small bolts used to attach the fog lights got stalled out while screwing them in and the allen head started to strip. No biggie, it came with more than enough nuts and bolts so I just drilled out the holes slightly and used nuts on them. Otherwise, no snags. My biggest problem was with the stock Sport bumper. I removed the four nuts to access the fog harness but couldn't get the reinforcement plate out because of the tow hooks. There are four little metal retainers on those studs that have to be removed to get the plate out of the way.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Three of the six small bolts used to attach the fog lights got stalled out while screwing them in and the allen head started to strip. No biggie, it came with more than enough nuts and bolts so I just drilled out the holes slightly and used nuts on them. Otherwise, no snags. My biggest problem was with the stock Sport bumper. I removed the four nuts to access the fog harness but couldn't get the reinforcement plate out because of the tow hooks. There are four little metal retainers on those studs that have to be removed to get the plate out of the way.

From the handful of reviews I’ve read about this bumper, this seems to be the only complaint. Everyone seems to have it.

How’s the steel thickness on the plate sections? Tough enough to be dragged across rocks, or is it more on the mall crawler side?

I’m a bit skeptical of it at its price point, but I’m honestly only hoping for more than what I’d get at a similar pricepoint from Rugged Ridge or the Chinese Amazon/ eBay finds. It’s simply going to be used as a platform to mount a winch which may only get used once or twice a year. Quadratec hasn’t disappointed me before......but the others have.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigJimSlade

BigJimSlade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It seems pretty stout, but I don't have any experience with more expensive bumpers or those designed for rock crawling. It's a damn sight stronger than that piece of plastic that I took off of my nose, that's for sure.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I wonder if @Quadratec can install a set of fog lights in there before thy ship it to me, would save me tons of trouble.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just got mine installed. The biggest issue was the light swap. The connector to the bumper harness was packed with sand and a bear to get apart. The supplied screws didn’t like their home in the new bumper either. If I were to have forced them I would have stripped the supplied tool. I was lucky enough to have a number drill set, and just picked one that was two sizes above the largest bit that would fit in the hole. Screws went in and tightened down no problem. I think the holes were drilled to the correct size during manufacturing, but once the powder coat was applied it brought the tolerance down too tight. Not a big deal if you have the right size bit on hand.

Installing the winch was quite a bit more difficult than I would have thought. I have the same combo as the OP (full width Bumper and Smitty X02 10k), the two rear bolts were very awkward to get into place. It is appreciated that Quadratec engineered in access holes for your hands....but it’s still an awkward procedure. The only way I could get my hand in a position to bend the right way to get the bolts threaded was to lay all the way under the Jeep and stick my hand in from below at head level.

Overall it looks well made. No ugly welds, holes drilled in the right place, good looking coating. The actual bumper seems to be 1/4” steel, the winch plate is heavier, maybe 3/8? The tubes appear to be purely cosmetic. They’re fairly thin, but they really shouldn’t be in contact with anything other than brush.

For $350 I’d call it a good deal. You get a lot for the price. The last steel bumper I had was a Mopar on my JK, and it had much thinner plate steel, uglier welds, no winch plate or any provisions for a winch, and it retailed for nearly twice as much.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here’s a quick pic of my results. 2018 JLU Sport S, 33” KO2’s, Smitty X20 10K, and some cheap RC spot beam pods I had laying around. The other upper mounting spots (I assume are for light pods, and the lower mounts are for a small light bar) are perfect to throw a dune flag on at the sanctioned parks.

The passenger side tube sticks out a 1/4” beyond the fender, and the driver side is a 1/4” shy of flush on the inside, but overall symmetry looks really good for a $350 bumper with free shipping (I’d guess a good chunk of that is shipping on its own).

It did sag the front end on my Sport S by about 1”-1 1/2” with the winch. The old bumper weighed less than the winch itself, so there’s probably 130 extra pounds hanging off the front now.

GmhxD0ql.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
BigJimSlade

BigJimSlade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Here’s a quick pic of my results. 2018 JLU Sport S, 33” KO2’s, Smitty X20 10K, and some cheap RC spot beam pods I had laying around. The other upper mounting spots (I assume are for light pods, and the lower mounts are for a small light bar) are perfect to throw a dune flag on at the sanctioned parks.

The passenger side tube sticks out a 1/4” beyond the fender, and the driver side is a 1/4” shy of flush on the inside, but overall symmetry looks really good for a $350 bumper with free shipping (I’d guess a good chunk of that is shipping on its own).

It did sag the front end on my Sport S by about 1”-1 1/2” with the winch. The old bumper weighed less than the winch itself, so there’s probably 130 extra pounds hanging off the front now.

GmhxD0ql.jpg
Looks good! It dropped my front end a little, too, but I needed that because the Rubi suspension I installed had me sitting slightly nose high, which I don't like.

Lil Punk'n

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangled jl sport
Occupation
Retired, School bus driver
Looks good! It dropped my front end a little, too, but I needed that because the Rubi suspension I installed had me sitting slightly nose high, which I don't like.
I installed mine about 2 weeks ago. Fog lights went in perfectly. Had a little trouble lining up frames holes.
20190330_152625.jpg

EagleJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Sarge Green Willys
Occupation
UPS
Looks really good! I've been looking at the stubby version.
I installed my new Quadratec QRC full width front bumper today along with my Smittybilt X20 Comp 10K. I'm very happy with both products so far. Both were very easy to install by myself. The QRC showed a UPS shipping weight of 115 pounds. I believe the winch is at maybe 50 pounds, so I have a little more weight out front than I did before with the sport plastic bumper. The winch cables reached the battery no sweat. So far I couldn't be happier. Thanks Quadratec and Smitty.

20190331_140625.jpg

20190403_170954.jpg

20190403_171000.jpg

20190403_171033.jpg

OP
OP
BigJimSlade

BigJimSlade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Thanks. I like the stubby, too. It was a tough decision between the two of them.

cm88_bruins

First Name
Ciro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I got this bumper yesterday and installed it. I had an issue where my fog lamps don't seem to fit. I have the LED fog lamps from 2020 Sport S with plastic bumper. I contacted Quadratec chat and they told me they should fit.. Anyone have success installing these?
Sponsored