kaz

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Howdy, all.

Does anyone have the Quadratec two bike platform rack?

If so, what are your thoughts?

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...-two-bike-platform-rack-2-Inch-receiver-hitch

There are several thoughtful posts and responses on bike racks on this forum. However, I haven't seen anyone reference this rack, despite claims to address *many* Wrangler specific issues. Overall, it seems like a great option, but thought I'd reach out and see if you all have any opinions.

What I like about this rack is that:

1) It doesn't require a hitch extender to clear the spare tire

2) It has a tilt feature, allowing the tailgate to open with bikes removed from rack -- not possible on all racks

3) Quadratec sells a locking (threaded) hitch pin for $15, brining the grand total to $315

4) It's significantly less expensive than racks by Thule, Kueat, 1up, Raxter (and maybe others I've missed)

There are only two negative things that I can see about it.

1) It's somewhat heavy (66 lbs) and looks like it could be bulky. I plan to take it off when not in use and store it, so this is somewhat important to me. And I won't be the only person to move it, so I'd like to be considerate of others in the household. (I realize that most platform racks are somewhat heavy, but I've seen some as light as about 35 lbs.)

2) There's no locking feature to secure the bikes to the rack. Although Quadratec sells a cable that works with it's locking hitch pin for $30 (includes both hitch pin and cable). This is unlike some of the more expensive racks, where the locking cables are a part of the rack. I don't see this as a large downside, but a distinction others may point out.
Sponsored

OP
OP

kaz

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I suppose one more downside is that it's temporarily out-of-stock, with an estimated shipping date of 12/31/20 :-/

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
I liked everything about it until the 66 lbs. I have the Kuat Sherpa 2 bike platform & I believe it weighs like half that. I just used it last weekend (only had my JL a week) & there is enough clearance to use it properly behind the spare. I was worried about that. I don't have the OE tow package I added my own receiver and it has a very generous tube extension.

Reactions: kaz
OP
OP

kaz

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I too didn't have a tow package, and added a hitch after purchase. Although I purchased a Mopar hitch. And I think it would require an extender to work with the Kuat rack. That is, if I wanted to be able to fold it up when not it use.

It sounds like your after market hitch enables you to forego the hitch extender, such that you're able to fold it up when not in use?

It's interesting that the Kuat Sherpa rack is so light. I'm guessing that's because it's {mostly?} made out of aluminum.

I previously had a Thule T2 rack, which are about 50 pounds and a bit cumbersome to install/store. (I don't have a garage, so had to bring it to/from the basement when not in use.). I believe they are mostly made of steel. I would have kept it, but it was made for 1.25 inch receivers and could not fold when not when not in use on the JLU without a hitch extender. I tried out a few options (reducers & extenders), but ultimately didn't like how much play there was at the hitch receiver with these accessories (reducer/extender).

Congrats on your new JLU, @Twojayhawks.

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Yes with the hitch I chose I can fold up the Kuat after the bikes have been unloaded. Even with the generous tube the bikes are closer to the vehicle than with my last SUV. In fact the pedal of the inside bike position touches the spare tire. My bike rack needs to be lighter as we pull the SUV (with bikes) behind a motorhome & it get installed/uninstalled a lot & I'm 58 :) Below is the hitch I used.

Class III hitch.png

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I have the other 2-bike hitch rack from them that's currently out of stock - https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/2-bike-folding-bike-rack

We ride 20", 24" and 26" BMX bikes and have no issues with this rack; the built-in extension clears Jeep spare tires easily and the bikes and rack are rock solid, no movement or bouncing. If you're looking for a platform-style one, I'm sure it's comparable quality to the one we are running, so I wouldn't hesitate.
Sponsored