First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wanderingobservations.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Really interesting idea from Quadratec for those that are interested - as someone who works in marketing, also a pretty clever content idea that will most likely get a ton of attention!

Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec’s YJL Jeep Wrangler Debuts to Celebrate 30th Anniversary yjl.PNG

Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec’s YJL Jeep Wrangler Debuts to Celebrate 30th Anniversary quadratec-jeep-wrangler-yjl-2
Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec’s YJL Jeep Wrangler Debuts to Celebrate 30th Anniversary quadratec-jeep-wrangler-yjl-3
Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec’s YJL Jeep Wrangler Debuts to Celebrate 30th Anniversary quadratec-jeep-wrangler-yjl-1
Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec’s YJL Jeep Wrangler Debuts to Celebrate 30th Anniversary quadratec-jeep-wrangler-yjl-8
Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec’s YJL Jeep Wrangler Debuts to Celebrate 30th Anniversary quadratec-jeep-wrangler-yjl-7
Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec’s YJL Jeep Wrangler Debuts to Celebrate 30th Anniversary quadratec-jeep-wrangler-yjl-6
Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec’s YJL Jeep Wrangler Debuts to Celebrate 30th Anniversary quadratec-jeep-wrangler-yjl-5
Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec’s YJL Jeep Wrangler Debuts to Celebrate 30th Anniversary quadratec-jeep-wrangler-yjl-4
Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec’s YJL Jeep Wrangler Debuts to Celebrate 30th Anniversary quadratec-jeep-wrangler-yjl-13
Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec’s YJL Jeep Wrangler Debuts to Celebrate 30th Anniversary quadratec-jeep-wrangler-yjl-12
Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec’s YJL Jeep Wrangler Debuts to Celebrate 30th Anniversary quadratec-jeep-wrangler-yjl-11
Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec’s YJL Jeep Wrangler Debuts to Celebrate 30th Anniversary quadratec-jeep-wrangler-yjl-10
Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec’s YJL Jeep Wrangler Debuts to Celebrate 30th Anniversary quadratec-jeep-wrangler-yjl-9
Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec’s YJL Jeep Wrangler Debuts to Celebrate 30th Anniversary quadratec-jeep-wrangler-yjl-18
Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec’s YJL Jeep Wrangler Debuts to Celebrate 30th Anniversary quadratec-jeep-wrangler-yjl-17
Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec’s YJL Jeep Wrangler Debuts to Celebrate 30th Anniversary quadratec-jeep-wrangler-yjl-16
Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec’s YJL Jeep Wrangler Debuts to Celebrate 30th Anniversary quadratec-jeep-wrangler-yjl-15
Jeep Wrangler JL Quadratec’s YJL Jeep Wrangler Debuts to Celebrate 30th Anniversary quadratec-jeep-wrangler-yjl-14

Writeup by Autoblog.com

Quadratec's one-off YJL is a square-eyed tribute to the original Jeep Wrangler

It celebrates the company's 30th anniversary

Quadratec, the world's largest independent retailer of Jeep parts and accessories, built a one-of-a-kind Wrangler inspired by the original YJ model to celebrate its 30th birthday. Called YJL, the SUV gains square headlights that appeal to your 1990s nostalgia, comprehensive off-road upgrades, and more technology in the cabin.

Jeep introduced the Wrangler nameplate in 1986 to replace the long-running CJ series. Launched for the 1987 model year, and made famous in "Jurassic Park," the YJ model remains the only Wrangler ever fitted with rectangular headlights. Jeep brought back the round lights when it released the TJ model for 1997. Many didn't like the square lights three decades ago, but the YJ is aging gracefully as it settles into the classic car market.

It's this controversial styling cue that the YJL puts a modern spin on. Based on a current-generation JL model, its front end ditches the round lights for custom rectangular units that overlap with the grille's outer slots. Adding a retro touch to the rear end was easier said than done, but Quadratec pulled it off with a pair of bumperettes shaped like the ones worn by the YJ. Sahara decals on both fenders, right above the Jeep logo, create an additional visual link between the YJL and the 1989 Sahara model owned by company founder Ted Wentz II.

"It's very fulfilling to see a modern version of my father's Jeep, but with the spirit of the original. We shared so many great times in that YJ, and I even learned to drive in it. Back then, I could never have imagined we could create something today that not only takes me back to my youth, but showcases what we, and our valued partners, can do for our customers," explained Ted Wentz III, the company's CEO, in a statement.

Not content with simply redesigning the Wrangler's front end, Quadratec used the best accessories in its catalog to turn the YJL into a force to reckon with on the trail. The off-roader gains a 3.5-inch suspension lift that clears enough space in the wheel arches to install a set of 37-inch Mickey Thompson Baja Boss tires wrapped around body-colored 17-inch wheels. Rock rails, tubular doors, and redesigned fender flares are part of the build, too.

Connectivity is important, even in a retro-inspired Wrangler, so Quadratec added a nine-inch Alpine touchscreen that lets users connect their smartphone. It also features a built-in off-road mode that displays the tire pressure, an inclinometer, and several pre-loaded trail maps, among other information. Corbeau front seats with seatback bags add a finishing touch to the look, while all-weather floor liners make cleaning the cabin a breeze.

The one-off Wrangler will soon join Quadratec's collection, hopefully after tackling a trail or two, and it will remain a one-off model. While most of the parts used to build it come from the company's inventory, a representative told Autoblog that the YJ-esque grille was created specifically for this project and it will not be sold to the public.
Sponsored

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
I just watched that a few minutes ago and as someone new to the Jeep world I have to say that thing is badass.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Very cool. I want that front bumper. Love the color. As a former YJ Sahara owner, I understand why they did the headlights like that and it is built to give a head nod to the owner’s original Jeep that started it all, but round headlights look better. Those fender flares also work well with the build and are likely the ones I will go with then my plastic ones start to look bad.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Oh be still my beating heart! I loved my black YJ, but that khaki Sahara was always my dream. Love that color and the graphics.

It's really awesome the effort they went through to rework the gas filler and other details like reworking the rollbar. But I think it would have looked better without replacing the fenders and putting the sliders on. While I appreciate the effort to make the headlights rectangular, I think it would have helped to make the bezels line up with the grill openings.

I couldn't tell if they did it or not, but I hope the dash gets painted khaki. And it needs the sweet Sahara Edition tire cover.

They didn't make a change to the most memorable quality of the YJ for me - it's leaf spring suspension. It made it a terrible Jeep for doing Jeep things, like off-roading, but it made it an awesome runabout. The zero suspension flex made it feel like driving a tall go-cart. The YJ was lower to the ground, and with it's half doors it felt so care-free and cheery.

Since the TJ got coil springs the off-roading has been vastly improved, and on-roading is vastly improved as well, but to me it lost the carefree feeling. The JL's additional height, softer suspension and raised beltline all make it better at everything, except that zippy feel in my mind. But I'm sure that's just nostalgia talking, and I'm sure I'm alone on that.

JESM

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver Moab
Wow That is AWESOME!!. Props to Quadratec...that is an AMAZING Project!. Would love to have that 89 YJ Sahara.....!!! The new one is great looking and Love the square headlights!

JESM.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
That looks pretty darn awesome, though the headlights just look "off".

Who is the guy in the video? he seems to be in all of them. Part of the ownership group?

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Man, seriously missing my YJ from long ago. This thing is awesome.

i find it hilarious they clocked the wipers to mimic the yj.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Great color!

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
I AM IN LOVE!! a 94 was my first Wrangler. Gave it to my brother when i upgraded to the JL so we could wheel together. I deff have a soft spot in my heart for the original. Square headlights for the win. If they made this Grill aftermarket with the headlights i would 100% get it.