Sponsored

QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Delivery to Dealerships are up to $1,000 now. "Destination Charge " on Window Sticker.
Can you still pick them up at factory (Toledo) and drive home ? Would be a fun Road Trip, and potential $ Saver.
If you use the treadlightly.org membership, i do not think they can charge you destination. Here is the link to their site and their verbiage:
https://www.treadlightly.org/join/fcusa-affiliates-reward-program/

treadlightly.org said:
"Individual members at the $100+ level are eligible to receive Affiliate Rewards Program Preferred Price (1% below factory invoice) on the purchase or lease of most new Chrysler, Jeep®, Ram, Dodge, and FIAT vehicles.

Once you become a member, visit fcausaffiliates.com or call 888-444-4321 to obtain your Control Number. You’ll need the Tread Lightly! Company Code, which is included in the Tread Lightly! membership letter you will receive via USPS upon first becoming a member. Take your Control Number, along with your enclosed welcome letter, to any U.S. Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge dealership.

The Preferred Price is the maximum amount you will be charged by a participating U.S. dealer for an eligible vehicle. See dealer for details. FCA US may charge a $75 administration fee. Offer valid for up to 2 (two) FCA US Group LLC vehicles per calendar year. To learn more, call (888) 444-4321 or visit fcausaffiliates.com.

Please note that according to FCA US policy, you must be a member for at least 30 days to qualify for the FCA US Affiliate Rewards new vehicle discount. Thank you for your cooperation and patience, and thank you for supporting Tread Lightly!"
The email I received from FCA after joining said this:

Affiliate Rewards said:
Affiliate Rewards said:
By generating this Control Number, you've taken your first step toward an incredible deal on your next purchase or lease of eligible new Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep®, Ram, and FIAT® Brand vehicles. Now let's get you behind the wheel! Follow these easy steps:

• Take your Control Number—along with a company ID, recent paycheck stub, or W-2 form as proof of your eligibility—to a participating U.S. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, or Ram dealership or FIAT Studio. Find dealers in your area here; give them a call to confirm they participate in Affiliate Rewards.
  • Receive the Preferred Price of 1% below dealer invoice. You can ask to see the vehicle invoice, where this price ("PP") is listed. A $75 administration fee is already included in this price.
  • Combine the Preferred Price with other current incentives. To find out what incentives are available, call Affiliate Rewards Program Headquarters at 1.888.444.4321.
  • Hit the road!
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I have a question for all the members of this board living outside of the US. How much of a premium do you have to pay for your Jeeps and how much is operating cost generaly?
Next to no 'premium' per se, in part thanks to the N.Am. AutoPact.
But the prices do fluctuate significantly some times due to exchange rates. In fact the main reason I stayed with a 2015 model JKU (got the JK 9 mths earlier) , even though the 2016 had launched a few months earlier, was not only because I wanted either Baja or Sunset as a colour, but because the sticker price and dealer prices had changed almost $2500 on a Sahara and $4000 on an HR just due to a massive change in exchange rate (and that difference translated to the fleet pricing I pay too), and that was even before the $8k+ discounts on top of that. However the price change only occurs about twice a year so major saving further away from the price setting if there are currency fluctuations. Otherwise they are fairly similar, partially due to the N.Am. AutoPact.

I know gas in Europe is extremely expensive compared to the US and with the Wrangler getting poor gas mileage it can't be cheap but I assume it's worth it to you guys.
I live in Saudi Canadia , where we pay about 60-90c US / L or about 0.50 to 0.70 Euro per L, so fuel is not that big an issue compared to you, but still about $50€ per week for an average commuter. Rail pass here is about 1/2 to 1/3 that, so not significantly different.
Insurance would be about $400-1000+€ depending on your record., registration charges would be about 10% of that. So beyond maintenance those would be the major charges, and it's not really that major. Definitely more than the US, but by a percentage not a whole factor.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Delivery to Dealerships are up to $1,000 now. "Destination Charge " on Window Sticker.
Can you still pick them up at factory (Toledo) and drive home ? Would be a fun Road Trip, and potential $ Saver.
No, unfortunately destination charge is on ALL vehicles. It is a pro-rated average of last year's shipping cost for the whole fleet. It's a charge every vehicle gets regardless of whether it's an employee pickup from the plant or sent to a dealer in Alaska. It's a long standing legal agreement between the dealer networks and the automakers, otherwise it would penalize dealerships for not being nearer the plants.

I've been to the plant 3 times, and essentially watched a Wrangler go through various stages from end to end. I'd love to pick one up at the plant or even watch mine be made and allowed drive it off the line do a few laps and then load it on the train for delivery, then pick it up at the home dealership like BMW does for N.Am. owners; or let me install a component or tighten a few bolts like Corvette allows at their plant. That would be great to get to see or participate in the making of your personal Jeep.
I chatted with some of the folks at the plant about this in 2013 during my half-day tour, and they mentioned back then that there were plans in the works to make a Jeep experience park out of oart of their old test track across the river, and add more customer-centric features like this, but nothing ever came of it.

If you use the treadlightly.org membership, i do not think they can charge you destination.
Every vehicle is charged destination, this is not a negotiable or removable charge. Tread Lightly affect the base invoice, it doesn't even discount the destination charge, let alone get rid of it. Stuff like destination, taxes and PDI are alll added after the invoice discounts. The last two are variable depending on state and delaer, the first one is a pre-determined fixed rate on all Wranglers.

OP
OP
DarthMall

DarthMall

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner 4x4, Mazda B2500
Vehicle Showcase
I have a question for y'all. Does anybody on this forum ever use their Jeep for towing? More specifically towing their rock crawlers? I'm currently in the build process of a 80's Toyota Pickup Rock crawler that will hopefully look like the one pictured. It would be nice to be able to with the JLU but i'm not sure if it's possible. The truck is going to be very light probably around 3000 lbs but that won't include the weight of the trailer. I know that the JKU's towing capacity was understated for liability purposes but you never see any of them towing at all. In fact most Jeeps seem to be towed themselves.

2e8a8a7b5e91429fb66071aa2b9be41b.jpg

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
What is the stated weight limit/boat&aircraft-dimensions/trailer specs, on the maximum end of recommended JKU tow load ? Is it expected to recede or improve on the JLU, or does it depend which option package is added ?

Sponsored

RDwheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JGC, Rubicon
Better towing will depend on a lot of factors and improved power, torque, better gearing, braking and beefed up axles and suspension should all go to increased towing capacity. We've already seen some of this will be built into the JL, if not standard then as an added option. It can only help that there should be shared parts with the JT which will need to show it's capable of being used for its intended purpose.

ChadR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
IT
Here's another QTDDTOT:

Will the JL/JLU allow for unrestricted flat tow / dinghy?

Traditionally the wrangler has been hands down the easiest to tow all four down.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
The mechanical transfer case lever says yes, but I wonder if the new steering (rack & pinion / electro-hydraulic) will be as accommodating.

OP
OP
DarthMall

DarthMall

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner 4x4, Mazda B2500
Vehicle Showcase
Does anybody know where the press release for the JL Wrangler will be held? Or if the public will have access to it.

freegld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Just my opinion and prediction, I think once the JLs are released, JKs will take a significant hit in terms of resale value. Earlier models, such as TJs, YJs, etc.. will still maintain their values, as they were not massed produced at the quantities of the JKs. Not to mention, the older models are truly a box on wheels and bare bones (JKs are fairly modern compared to those), thus catering to a niche car buyer's market.

I'm sure this isn't news and pretty much common sense - just putting it out there.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Just my opinion and prediction, I think once the JLs are released, JKs will take a significant hit in terms of resale value. Earlier models, such as TJs, YJs, etc.. will still maintain their values, as they were not massed produced at the quantities of the JKs. Not to mention, the older models are truly a box on wheels and bare bones (JKs are fairly modern compared to those), thus catering to a niche car buyer's market.

I'm sure this isn't news and pretty much common sense - just putting it out there.
Jeep resale pretty much defies common sense so we will see. My YJ had great resale 5 years after the TJ was out and that makes no sense.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
Haha here is something I just wondered that is definitely a QTDDTOT.

Will the JT further contribute to the perceived demise of the Jeep Wave?

There are definitely opinionated die hards out there that will only wave to lifted Jeeps, or round headlights, or whatever. But given we know the front end of the JT will be virtually identical to the JL, will confusion reign? "Look a jeep-Wave; oh man never mind that's a pickup"

JaybearWL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0t
Haha here is something I just wondered that is definitely a QTDDTOT.

Will the JT further contribute to the perceived demise of the Jeep Wave?

There are definitely opinionated die hards out there that will only wave to lifted Jeeps, or round headlights, or whatever. But given we know the front end of the JT will be virtually identical to the JL, will confusion reign? "Look a jeep-Wave; oh man never mind that's a pickup"
If you only wave to lifted jeeps or rounded headlights or anything like that, you are .... how do I put this gently .....? A gaping, fissured butthole.

phcn

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2002 KJ liberty/cherokee 2.5 crd sport+ (sold) - Jeep 2015 BU Renegade 1.4 multiair2 longitude - Jeep 2018 BU Renegade 1.6 Etorque South Beach
I wave to every jeep but very few wave back...
Sponsored