Sponsored

QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Solar Sailor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
OK - I have never owned a jeep but hope to get a 2 door Wrangler - JL most likely unless the dealers are REALLY excited about discounts on JKs.

As an experiment on vacation, I rented a Wrangler Unlimited (no 2 doors available) in Hawaii and drove it for a week ending up with just over 1,000 miles. Looking at the serial number, it was a 2016 Sport model, hard top with no head liner, 5 speed auto with the power and convenience option and A/C. It had 46,000 miles on the clock.

What I noticed most:

Occasional odors of gasoline - is this normal for a wrangler or just bad maintenance on this model

The room for my left foot (where the clutch would be an a manual was OUTSTANDING - will this also be on the JL 2 door automatic?

Wind noise went up dramatically around 50 MPH - is this expected

In a cross wind with about 30 MPH gusts the side motion was very noticeable - is this expected?

The average MPG on the instrument cluster showed between 23 and 24 MPG when driving at a steady 55 MPH with the A/C on - is this real or just due to inaccurate gauge?

Thanks for any tips
Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
OK - I have never owned a jeep but hope to get a 2 door Wrangler - JL most likely unless the dealers are REALLY excited about discounts on JKs.

As an experiment on vacation, I rented a Wrangler Unlimited (no 2 doors available) in Hawaii and drove it for a week ending up with just over 1,000 miles. Looking at the serial number, it was a 2016 Sport model, hard top with no head liner, 5 speed auto with the power and convenience option and A/C. It had 46,000 miles on the clock.

What I noticed most:

Occasional odors of gasoline - is this normal for a wrangler or just bad maintenance on this model

The room for my left foot (where the clutch would be an a manual was OUTSTANDING - will this also be on the JL 2 door automatic?

Wind noise went up dramatically around 50 MPH - is this expected

In a cross wind with about 30 MPH gusts the side motion was very noticeable - is this expected?

The average MPG on the instrument cluster showed between 23 and 24 MPG when driving at a steady 55 MPH with the A/C on - is this real or just due to inaccurate gauge?

Thanks for any tips

Here are my thoughts on your questions, there maybe some who disagree.

Gas smell - not normal, that said you can smell exhaust if you role the back window up on a soft top but leave the roof on, doors on and rear side windows on. For this reason that configuration is not recommended.

Wind noise - yes the jeep will have more wind noise then most any other vehicle. Soft top obviously worse, however even the hard top has a good amount of wind noise. I never had one, but the optional headliner is suppose to help.

Cross wind - yes that is very normal, when talking about MPGs “driving a brick” is a common joke. When talking about cross wind, you might as well be driving a big rectangular sail.

Highway MPG seems pretty good but I still think it falls in the realm of believeable. Depends greatly on Mods, lifts, tires, axle gears, etc.

Solar Sailor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Is the heavy duty spare tire support hinge system needed assuming I find some way to hang two bicycles (30 pounds each) on the back on the spare tire? I'll be using the upgraded tires (KO2). The manual says 87 pounds max on the standard support.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
So why is the rear brake rotor diameter bigger than the front? Isn't that bizarre? Usually the rear is smaller.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
So why is the rear brake rotor diameter bigger than the front? Isn't that bizarre? Usually the rear is smaller.
I can tell you it makes sense to me because my rear brake pads on the JK always wear faster than the front pads, especially the OEM pads, but even aftermarket, although to a less extent.

Sponsored

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
I can tell you it makes sense to me because my rear brake pads on the JK always wear faster than the front pads, especially the OEM pads, but even aftermarket, although to a less extent.
Rears wearing before fronts is extremely odd. The front brakes provide about 70% of a vehicle’s stopping power.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Not odd at all on the Wrangler. My Rubicon needed rear brakes at 25k miles.

Rears wearing before fronts is extremely odd. The front brakes provide about 70% of a vehicle’s stopping power.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Just noticed that "Rear Compartment Assist Handles" are only standard on Sahara and Rubi. Are these the B Pillar Grab Handles?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It does seem odd, but my 2015 Ford Transit van is the same way. The rear brake pads are quite a bit smaller than the front. Also, the rear brake disc is not vented, so I'm sure they get hotter, or at least don't dissipate the heat as well.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I'm sorry if this has come up elsewhere--I believe it has, I just don't remember where, or the answer:

On the new JL/U, what does the owner need to do, (i.e. what is the process an owner needs to effect) once lowering the windshield on to the hood, to secure the windshield to the hood, if any?

Thanks.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I thought BLD was responsible for rear brakes wearing quicker?
Sponsored