Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@Fudster

I've experimented with the AutoStick feature on my 850RE since bringing the vehicle home.

It's an adaptive transmission. That is to say, the shift points will eventually mimic the driver's habits, based on how much right foot he has, or has not, been giving it.

After allowing a bit of time to pass, and having tried to beat the computer in the fuel efficiency game, the computer won. The ZF 8-speed really is the best automatic transmission I've ever used, and not simply because of this single metric, either.

You can indeed manually shift to a higher gear than what the transmission has already selected for the driving conditions. Depending on the overall conditions, the engine might lug a bit. Having mechanical sympathy means I rarely try to force the issue. The 2.0T already provides comparatively good fuel mileage, so there's no need to chase my tail for fractional and ephemeral improvements in the MPG calculation.
Sponsored

Maverickxeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, 2002 TJ Sport
@Fudster

I've experimented with the AutoStick feature on my 850RE since bringing the vehicle home.

It's an adaptive transmission. That is to say, the shift points will eventually mimic the driver's habits, based on how much right foot he has, or has not, been giving it.

After allowing a bit of time to pass, and having tried to beat the computer in the fuel efficiency game, the computer won. The ZF 8-speed really is the best automatic transmission I've ever used, and not simply because of this single metric, either.

You can indeed manually shift to a higher gear than what the transmission has already selected for the driving conditions. Depending on the overall conditions, the engine might lug a bit. Having mechanical sympathy means I rarely try to force the issue. The 2.0T already provides comparatively good fuel mileage, so there's no need to chase my tail for fractional and ephemeral improvements in the MPG calculation.
That has been my experience as well - I mostly shift manually for fun, or going downhills, engine braking, etc, but for actual highway driving - the computer actually does get the 'best' MPG. It doesn't just automatically go to the highest gear based on RPM like older automatics - I've had it stay in 6th and get better MPG than in 8th. It's really impressive for an automatic (sadly - I do like manuals!).

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
We Wrangler owners are nothing if not resourceful.

This said, would someone describe for me, using stuff purchasable at a big box store, how I can devise a way to prop a garden hose such that it sprays like rain on my JL, so I can try to figure out leak sources.

My better half would have the willingness and attention span to do this for me for about 30 seconds in summer temperatures, forget winter ones.

TIA

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

This said, would someone describe for me, using stuff purchasable at a big box store, how I can devise a way to prop a garden hose such that it sprays like rain on my JL, so I can try to figure out leak sources.

My better half would have the willingness and attention span to do this for me for about 30 seconds in summer temperatures, forget winter ones.

TIA
Get a new better half???

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Bill_BCNtoNY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Independent strategy advisor

TIA
I might try to zip tie the garden hose to a tree branch or rain gutter pipe, turn on the water and then drive the jeep to where it’s “raining”. Not sure if possible with your yard/home setup though.

Following for curiosity now!

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
The suggestion's not meritless. Losing the JL in the divorce would in fact solve my leak problems.;)
Sell me the JL for $1 now and I'll gladly sell it back to you for $2 after the divorce. Seriously, you keep the JL for $1 and I get a great story about how I doubled my money buying and selling a jeep.

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ

TIA
I think your focus on imitation rain is distracting from the real issue. I think you need to focus more on the location detection. Could you somehow rig up tissue paper around the roof seams and then just spray water on the outside of the Jeep yourself, maybe a light spray in sections, check the paper inside, and repeat with a stronger water spray each time?

just my 2 cents, from a random guy on the internet who hasn’t seen the problem first hand.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I think your focus on imitation rain is distracting from the real issue. I think you need to focus more on the location detection. Could you somehow rig up tissue paper around the roof seams and then just spray water on the outside of the Jeep yourself, maybe a light spray in sections, check the paper inside, and repeat with a stronger water spray each time?

just my 2 cents, from a random guy on the internet who hasn’t seen the problem first hand.
or along those lines use died (colored) water:

Green Water Tracing & Leak Detection Flourescent Dye - 1 Gallon https://a.co/d/2PPsJz4