Sponsored

QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
2 dumb questions TDDTOT..

1) With the built-in navigation programmed to a destination, is there any way for the system to display a broader overview of the route it's taking (ie, will be eventually hitting Route 4 then Route US-5)? And is there a way to show ETA for arrival at destination (ie, 3HR 5MIN til home)?

The uConnect is such a clusterflup of icons everywhere and I couldn't find any obvious way to do something that's common to all GPS/navigation systems. Only shows '5-miles to next turn', but you gotta guess what the next road after that might be, and no clue if it's a 20 minute trip or a 5 hour trip. Fun if you like surprises, I guess.

2) Noxious fumes on a newly built JL.. normally bad enough to make you dizzy, give you a headache and sore throat/lungs? And how long does this last?

Can't smell anything from outside, but in the cabin it's quite strong at times. I'm guessing it's either off-gasing of internal plastics or maybe upholstery glues, but never experienced anything this overbearing on a new vehicle before.
Sponsored

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport

1) With the built-in navigation programmed to a destination, is there any way for the system to display a broader overview of the route it's taking (ie, will be eventually hitting Route 4 then Route US-5)? And is there a way to show ETA for arrival at destination (ie, 3HR 5MIN til home)?
There is. I believe it is toward the upper right corner, though it could be displaying something else on your screen. Toward the upper right corner (I use Google Maps more than the built in so the exact location could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's there), you can toggle between showing time of arrival to destination (as in 5:45 pm), distance to destination, or time remaining to destination (as in 2 hours 45 minutes). You simply touch that spot to pick which you want displayed. Personally, I would like to have the ability to see both distance remaining and one of the time options, but you can only see one of the three at a time (unless there's a way I haven't found).

Reactions: AFD

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
There is. I believe it is toward the upper right corner, though it could be displaying something else on your screen. Toward the upper right corner (I use Google Maps more than the built in so the exact location could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's there), you can toggle between showing time of arrival to destination (as in 5:45 pm), distance to destination, or time remaining to destination (as in 2 hours 45 minutes). You simply touch that spot to pick which you want displayed. Personally, I would like to have the ability to see both distance remaining and one of the time options, but you can only see one of the three at a time (unless there's a way I haven't found).
Huh, thought I tried that, but the road was bumpy so maybe it wasn't registering (or is something I need to be stopped to adjust). I'll give it a try, thanks!

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Huh, thought I tried that, but the road was bumpy so maybe it wasn't registering (or is something I need to be stopped to adjust). I'll give it a try, thanks!
I think you just tap there. I don't remember going into menus to switch it anyway. I hope I'm remembering right on HOW to change it, and apologies if I'm not, but the option to change it does exist.

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The uConnect is such a clusterflup of icons everywhere and I couldn't find any obvious way to do something that's common to all GPS/navigation systems. Only shows '5-miles to next turn', but you gotta guess what the next road after that might be, and no clue if it's a 20 minute trip or a 5 hour trip. Fun if you like surprises, I guess.

2) Noxious fumes on a newly built JL.. normally bad enough to make you dizzy, give you a headache and sore throat/lungs? And how long does this last?

Can't smell anything from outside, but in the cabin it's quite strong at times. I'm guessing it's either off-gasing of internal plastics or maybe upholstery glues, but never experienced anything this overbearing on a new vehicle before.
Have you considered simply using Android Auto or CarPlay? Built-in navigation is almost always several years behind what the rest of that industry is doing.

Take it to the dealership immediately for noxious fumes.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

I never had that. Might be a real problem.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Have you considered simply using Android Auto or CarPlay? Built-in navigation is almost always several years behind what the rest of that industry is doing.

Take it to the dealership immediately for noxious fumes.
Yeah, I can always use AA with phone nav, but just wanted to make use of the built-in nav since it's there. The built-in nav on my decade-old aftermarket Alpine in my car is flawless and still does everything I want from it.

At pickup yesterday, the dealer specifically brought up the issue on his own about any weird smells and said not to worry, that it was just shit burning off from the factory. It did seem to get a little better during the 6 hour drive home, but it just smelled like either fresh paint or glue fumes. Maybe they had to touch something up after delivery?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Noxious fumes on a newly built JL.. normally bad enough to make you dizzy, give you a headache and sore throat/lungs? And how long does this last?

Off-gassing, aka the new car smell, is pretty distinct (i.e., identifiable) for what it is. It was rather muted in my new JLU. I did take delivery on a cool and rainy day in late October, though, and November in PA brought its usual cold days with it, which further dulled the scent.

If the interior smell(s) in your new Jeep are truly strong enough to be distracting, cause headaches, etc., it might indeed warrant more robust investigation.

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly

I brought mine home and immediately used 303 Aerospace on the plastic/vinyl parts, which covered up most of the new car smell and helps keep dust from sticking. I also used leather conditioner on my leather seats (YMMV).

Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I brought mine home and immediately used 303 Aerospace on the plastic/vinyl parts, which covered up most of the new car smell and helps keep dust from sticking. I also used leather conditioner on my leather seats (YMMV).
That's a good idea, thanks!

zsg1313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys (totaled) 2022 Rubi (6sp 2dr)
Any recommendations for paint after I clean up the rust on this part of the brake?

Jeep Wrangler JL QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread PXL_20220930_210450459

Montanabound

First Name
Lol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
I have a concern. When I press in my brake pedal softly the brakes squeak and or chirp. Thought comments or concerns?

22 JLR 5k miles

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler jlus bright white
Vehicle Showcase

I can simply suggest driving with the doors off for a bit. Airs it out, no scientific data to prove it'll work but it's fun!

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I can simply suggest driving with the doors off for a bit. Airs it out, no scientific data to prove it'll work but it's fun!
Actually thought about taking the hardtop off to air everything out, then it occurred to me that the smell/fumes could be coming from the fiberglass or its interior paint.

The smell seems to be getting better, and already seems to be less intense and noticeable less often. I like to crank up the HVAC blower, so it might even be a smell coming in from things heating up in the engine bay. Definitely smells like fresh paint rather than the usual 'new car' smell.
Sponsored