QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
I use those as well, and have for years, the street legality depends on your local laws. Here in Alberta last time I checked (~2010) I need a rear view mirror with a view straight out the back and X degrees of coversge to each side, and additionally a left hand side mirror that has a specific coverage view that extends outwards... if the vehicle orogonally came with side mirrors. The right side mirror is optional.

However from what I remember from the forums, some states have a requirement of them projecting beyond the body to allow a view along the side of the vehicle, and other states even require the ability to have a partial view of the rear in the side mirrors.
As for them being offered by the factory, I think the two issue it presents are the possibility of blinding drivers who don't know what to do with them (the people are confounded by life in general, but also likely to sue), and then also durability/scratch resistance would be a possible issue.

A factor thin mirrored back would be great, however even a factory tab design that allowed removal and placement into the open hinge hole of the doors would be great, and would still allow for all those various states' laws as it would be in about the same place.

Unfortunately state laws are messed up, some states don't even allow for door removal, even thouh it's a design feature / factory option.
If somebody tries to ticket you for not having side view mirrors, ask them to show you the law that says you have to wear them...
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me what the "Z" clips on a Bestop Sunrider (for the JL) do, and the implications on the Sunrider's ability to work if those clips break.

Thank you.
@Fudster

There is a metal cable system that keeps the material of the Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop taut/stretched or pulled tight; no slack. Held taut by 2, Z-clips.

When a z-clip breaks (usually just one breaks) the SR will not be as taut as it should be.
I think most that have had a z-clip break will tell you they notice some let's call it puckering of material on the rear corners of the SR and .....

Anyway, as a SR owner, if you start to hear an unfamiliar, annoying flutter toward the rear... on one of the SR's rear sides .... see puckering of material at the rear edges (one side or both read sides) of the SR and possibly some leakage in the area of the rear of the SR, then it is more then likely a z-clip broke loose from the cable.

IF you purchased the SR new, Bestop will without hassle cover replacement of a SR / send you a new one and will not hassle you about doing so. They will ask for proof of purchase and pics of z-clip no longer in place, etc.. THEN, they will send a new SR right out to you. NO, they do not ask for you to ship the problematic SR back to them.

Pic of z-clip. There is one on each side..
Jeep Wrangler JL QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread 9900

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
QTDDIOT:

I'm not getting the XR package because I ordered a manual, as a result I'll be buying my own 35s after market.
Question is this, does the normal stock spare tire carrier fit 35's? Or will I need to look into some kind of hinge gate reinforcement & whatnot to fit a spare 35 (As I'm guessing it wouldn't be advised to run a spare 33 with 35s....)?

AdamG

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLSportS
The lid that goes over the tub in the back, has anyone ever peeled the carpeting off of it? My brother has a JK (no subwoofer) and is replacing his carpets with a rubber lining and wants to get that tub lid to match. I assume JL and JK lids are constructed similarly, so if you’ve decarpeted either, please let me know how you did it.

He’s also considering shaving it down with an older hair trimmer and just painting on a bedliner.
Follow-up text from my brother…

After much trial and error I think we found a solution. Turns out the carpet does not like to come off this piece, took 2 days to get only the front right off with hair dryer. Upped it to heat gun and all that did was melt carpet. Bonus, the texture is like truck bed coating. Sprayed with rubberized undercoating, bad plan, texture good but smelled like burnt rubber. Covered with flexseal and it seems to have removed smell, should have used that from the start. Either way, color and texture seems to match the rest of the floor system

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Are the rear park sense sensors position specific? I.e., do they need to be placed in the same position as the stock bumper to work correctly in a new bumper?
I'm pretty sure the harness won't allow you to put more than one or two into wrong position. They're also angled in a specific way as well.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
QTDDIOT:

I'm not getting the XR package because I ordered a manual, as a result I'll be buying my own 35s after market.
Question is this, does the normal stock spare tire carrier fit 35's? Or will I need to look into some kind of hinge gate reinforcement & whatnot to fit a spare 35 (As I'm guessing it wouldn't be advised to run a spare 33 with 35s....)?
Lol, this has definitely been answered in about 30 other threads. It's rated for 85#. Lots of people, myself included, have run heavier. Mine was 106# and I didn't have any issues with gate. In saying that. I have installed a Cab Fab Elite carrier now.

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
Lol, this has definitely been answered in about 30 other threads. It's rated for 85#. Lots of people, myself included, have run heavier. Mine was 106# and I didn't have any issues with gate. In saying that. I have installed a Cab Fab Elite carrier now.
Glad I didnt start a thread then!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Thats the power to each individual compressor motor. It will still work even if one side fails.
Thanks. It has been disconnected but still working fine. Does that mean it’s only been working one of the compressors not both? Will it be faster with it connected?

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I’m installing a new winch and noticed that the instructions show the fairlead installed with the bolts on inside of the bumper pointing out, with the washer and nut on the outside of the fairlead. Is this necessary for any particular reason, or does the orientation of the bolt and nut not matter?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I have MetalCloak front and rear diff covers and when refilling the diffs with oil I discovered that they hold more than the stock covers. I guess the more convex shape and higher fill hole are the reasons. How much gear oil is too much?

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I have MetalCloak front and rear diff covers and when refilling the diffs with oil I discovered that they hold more than the stock covers. I guess the more convex shape and higher fill hole are the reasons. How much gear oil is too much?
I don’t claim to be an expert but I say fill all the way up to the fill hole.
Sponsored