QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Have you ever been about to purchase something for you Jeep that’d be nice to have but really don’t need, only to get ready to check out and you get slapped with an exorbitantly high shipping charge that’s so unreasonable that it smacks you back to your senses and you don’t make that impulsive purchase?
Yes, I've been known to add a sticker or two to my cart that I'll never use just to get over that free shipping amount. I mean, a $3 sticker to save $9 in shipping?

And not just stuff for my Jeep. Yesterday I was looking at a pint glass with some fun geological etchings on it. I thought the price was a little high for a pint glass, but was still planning to buy it. Then I saw the shipping was actually more than the glass itself. I'm not that much of a geek.
Sponsored

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
How long do tires last? not in terms of miles but in years before they deteriorate.

I bought my 2004 BMW back in January 2017 and got new tires for it at the time and 5 years later i've only put 15K miles on it and will likely only see 3-4K miles a year in the future. At this rate it will take years for them to need replacement from wear but wonder if at some point it's the age that will be the issue.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Yes, I've been known to add a sticker or two to my cart that I'll never use just to get over that free shipping amount. I mean, a $3 sticker to save $9 in shipping?

And not just stuff for my Jeep. Yesterday I was looking at a pint glass with some fun geological etchings on it. I thought the price was a little high for a pint glass, but was still planning to buy it. Then I saw the shipping was actually more than the glass itself. I'm not that much of a geek.
Yes, I do that all the time. I know that “free shipping” typically means that it’s factored into the price if the item. But I’d rather that than when vendors cut an item’s price $10 to make it an attractive buy, then tack $13 onto the shipping cost and hope we don’t notice.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
A few years back I bought some "New Old Stock" winter tires from Tire Rack. There was a good price with a lot of caveats regarding age, but since I drive this car (my aging MDX) mainly around town, I went for them.

Tire Rack is more than a vendor, they have tons of resource materials. Below are some of their Tech Center articles on Tire Aging:

In general, 10 years seems to be the max, but I think that will depend upon environment, both use and storage. I think in all cases if you can see cracking or bubbling, don't drive on them!

Sorry for the pun, YMMV!

Good Luck!

MH

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
How long do tires last? not in terms of miles but in years before they deteriorate.

I bought my 2004 BMW back in January 2017 and got new tires for it at the time and 5 years later i've only put 15K miles on it and will likely only see 3-4K miles a year in the future. At this rate it will take years for them to need replacement from wear but wonder if at some point it's the age that will be the issue.
5-6 years for me, dependent on factors like whether you store it in a garage or outside. They don’t “expire” but the rubber degrades over time. As they age inspect them more often.

Sponsored

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Bought a set of Primewell tires for my Ram from the Firestone dealer and 3 were dry rotting under 2 years. Took off my 2010 JK tires and rolled them in the garage for 11 years and reinstalled them for my JK sale last summer and not only were they mint condition with the rubber smell intact but the sensors all worked perfectly too.
It's a crapshoot but starting with good tires is huge when placing the bet
Most tires will be fine till the tread wears down but if you get the Wang-Foo brand as I did on my RAM you should start saving for more tires that day - (come on, a whole set of new tires installed on a Ram for under 400 bucks - what could go wrong ?)

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
They're Michelin Pilot Sports so they're a good brand. The car sits outside from Apr to Oct as we need the garage space for the topless JL then goes inside for the remaining months.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
They're Michelin Pilot Sports so they're a good brand. The car sits outside from Apr to Oct as we need the garage space for the topless JL then goes inside for the remaining months.
Those are great tires, I used to run Pilot Super Sports. In my experience they tend to be a little bit prone to flat spotting if the vehicle sits immobile on a hard surface for long periods.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
If I want to put a budget bump on, like AEV 2in spacer lift, can I add a leveling kit (something as simple as 3/4 in spacer in the front) also to take out the factory rake?

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Some vendors' sites have a "Calculate Shipping" function on the front end…

…So that I can choose the shipping speed and save a few $$ as I'm able; and
Another thing you can try is to reach out to the company directly to confirm shipping costs. I can tell you from our experience that every so often the shipping module on our site won’t work correctly. Many times it’s to our detriment. However, if you reach out the the company not only can they provide you with an accurate shipping price, they may be able to offer different shipping options or offer you a discount on the product so they can gain a customer. Never hurts to check!

I agree with being able to choose your own speed. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been willing to pay for expedited shipping, but the retailer only provides for UPS ground.

Sponsored

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Yes, I do that all the time. I know that “free shipping” typically means that it’s factored into the price if the item. But I’d rather that than when vendors cut an item’s price $10 to make it an attractive buy, then tack $13 onto the shipping cost and hope we don’t notice.
Vendors don’t always roll the cost of “free” shipping into the product price. Sometimes we use the cost of shipping as a loss leader to drive sales.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Those are great tires, I used to run Pilot Super Sports. In my experience they tend to be a little bit prone to flat spotting if the vehicle sits immobile on a hard surface for long periods.
This-good idea to move the vehicle every once in a while to avoid flat spotting.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing you can try is to reach out to the company directly to confirm shipping costs. I can tell you from our experience that every so often the shipping module on our site won’t work correctly. Many times it’s to our detriment. However, if you reach out the the company not only can they provide you with an accurate shipping price, they may be able to offer different shipping options or offer you a discount on the product so they can gain a customer. Never hurts to check!

I agree with being able to choose your own speed. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been willing to pay for expedited shipping, but the retailer only provides for UPS ground.
Great suggestion! - I have reached out to a couple companies, mostly smaller and not big store chains, and they have been more then willing to discount shipping costs from what is generated on the website.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Something weird going on with my right Tail light. Running light does not work, brake light and turn signal work. Is this a whole tail light replace? 10k on my Jeep.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
5-6 years for me, dependent on factors like whether you store it in a garage or outside. They don’t “expire” but the rubber degrades over time. As they age inspect them more often.
My tire shop says they can't touch a tire over 7 years old except to dismount it. Too much liability.

That being said, last year I blew out a tire on the Interstate and put my 20 year old donut spare on inflated it and made it the 70 miles home. But this tire was stored in the trunk and showed no signs of deterioration.
Sponsored