Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
What's the consensus on jacking the vehicle up via the pumpkin (differential), so as to then easily place jack stands on the end of each axle?

I've a tire rotation to attend to, and would like all four wheels off the ground at the same time so I can inspect the vehicle underside, etc.

I can of course raise each corner individually. Just wondering if there's a labor saving opportunity here, or not. TIA.
Do it all the time.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
What's the consensus on jacking the vehicle up via the pumpkin (differential), so as to then easily place jack stands on the end of each axle?

I've a tire rotation to attend to, and would like all four wheels off the ground at the same time so I can inspect the vehicle underside, etc.

I can of course raise each corner individually. Just wondering if there's a labor saving opportunity here, or not. TIA.
@Heimkehr

You see it done often as it's .... the easiest... lazy man's way lets say.... I avoid the practice... I don't look for problems so do not do this... I do not encourage this method, to those that ask my advice that I instruct...

To each his own...

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
It's not just you. Using USB uses the DAC in the device/phone which is better than bluetooth.
That's not true.

Both USB and BT use the DAC in the head end, the difference is the format of the data.

Via USB, audio is usually passed along as straight data - MP3, AAC, WAV, FLAC or whatever format the head end can handle, but it's a regular data stream.

Via BT, audio must first be reencoded using a BT-compatible codec, most of which sound inferior to even regular MP3 files due to their format and severely reduced bitrates.

For example, iPhones support only the SBC and AAC codecs. Androids by default support SBC, aptX, and aptX HD but are often unreliable with AAC, and though there are plugins to allow Android to support LDAC, few head ends if any do, plus aptX and SBC both sound better at the 330 Kbps rate most phones use to stream over BT.

The bottom line is USB will generally send the digital audio file to the head end with the full resolution of the file on your phone, BT streaming will need to reencode the audio into one of the supported BT streaming formats.

Jeep Wrangler JL QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread BT-Codecs-kbps_LK-2

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase

Using a floor jack for this is perfectly acceptable but I would not use the jack that comes with the Jeep but to be honest now I just go to DT and they rotate my tires for free, I got tired of rolling around my 35ā€™s and they have decent coffee šŸ˜‰

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
What follows are two pictures of a new Willys sitting on the dealer's lot.

The fog lights are covered by a backing plate that's a bit different than the one on my Sport, which extends up to the fender...the so-called "Euro look". Owners who don't want that particular aesthetic have been known to remove and trim off the excess material. This creates the desired open space between the fender and the bumper, exactly as pictured below. With due respect, though, all of them look like they've gone under the knife.

Does anyone have the part numbers for the backing plates in the pics, which I presume would fit the similar/same plastic bumper on my Wrangler? No joy from my dealer's parts dept. TIA.

Jeep Wrangler JL QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread 20210714_082306

Jeep Wrangler JL QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread 20210714_082259

cocaine_white

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
That's not true.

Both USB and BT use the DAC in the head end, the difference is the format of the data.

Via USB, audio is usually passed along as straight data - MP3, AAC, WAV, FLAC or whatever format the head end can handle, but it's a regular data stream.

Via BT, audio must first be reencoded using a BT-compatible codec, most of which sound inferior to even regular MP3 files due to their format and severely reduced bitrates.

For example, iPhones support only the SBC and AAC codecs. Androids by default support SBC, aptX, and aptX HD but are often unreliable with AAC, and though there are plugins to allow Android to support LDAC, few head ends if any do, plus aptX and SBC both sound better at the 330 Kbps rate most phones use to stream over BT.

The bottom line is USB will generally send the digital audio file to the head end with the full resolution of the file on your phone, BT streaming will need to reencode the audio into one of the supported BT streaming formats.

Jeep Wrangler JL QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread 20210714_082259
Well thatā€™s a damn answer right there

cocaine_white

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
What follows are two pictures of a new Willys sitting on the dealer's lot.

The fog lights are covered by a backing plate that's a bit different than the one on my Sport, which extends up to the fender...the so-called "Euro look". Owners who don't want that particular aesthetic have been known to remove and trim off the excess material. This creates the desired open space between the fender and the bumper, exactly as pictured below. With due respect, though, all of them look like they've gone under the knife.

Does anyone have the part numbers for the backing plates in the pics, which I presume would fit the similar/same plastic bumper on my Wrangler? No joy from my dealer's parts dept. TIA.

Theyā€™re not interchangeable as the sport bumpers are one piece and end that goes up to the fender is all part of that one piece bumper. At one point I thought about ordering a bunch of those inner pieces and swapping them for customers when I do lift kits and such but alas no luck. The good news is you could get a used plastic bumper off basically any model thatā€™s not a sport for next to nothing

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Theyā€™re not interchangeable as the sport bumpers are one piece and end that goes up to the fender is all part of that one piece bumper.
The Sport/Sport S euro panels/bumper fillers are not part of the bumper. They are separate pieces that are screwed on.

You can buy them separately: https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/front-bumper-closeout-panel-jl-plastic-bumper

If you have a Sport or Sport S, the trim pieces/backing plates from other bumpers will not fit. I ordered a set for a Sahara bumper and they are different and did not fit. Other than the euro panels, there's nothing else that is available.

I've been running without the euro panels for well over a year without any issues. I haven't found a need to cover that area. The fog light connectors, as well as the fog lights themselves, are water resistant.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Some people use moldable glues like Sugru to dam up the forward most portion of the rain gutters built into their Freedom Panels.

I am curious, do Sunrider owners tend to effect this similar hack as well and think it a good idea?

Thanks.

Sponsored

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Whereā€™s the microphone for Uconnect? Whenever I reply to a text i lean forward to speak closer to the screen then remember i donā€™t know where the microphone is.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Whereā€™s the microphone for Uconnect? Whenever I reply to a text i lean forward to speak closer to the screen then remember i donā€™t know where the microphone is.
Look up by your rear view mirror. Couple small notches/slots.

Dubv09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU
I have a noobie question. My 2020 Willys with LED package and advanced safety group, failed safety inspection. I was told because my taillight day time running light was out. They wanted $1,000 to fix it. I recently installed rugged Ridge tail light covers and must have pinched a wire. I took it apart and reinstalled the light and my lights seem to be working just fine. I still don't see the day time running lights in the back, but I don't remember ever seeing them. Can someone confirm the tail lights are day time running as well and what it looks like? Additionally, after I picked up my Jeep I now get Blind spot warning unavailable. They claim they didn't turn it off, that is part of the problem, but it was working literally the hours before I dropped off the Jeep. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Dubv09

LED package or not, there are no daytime running lights on the back of a stock JL/JLU/JT. Daytime running lights are only on the front of the stock vehicle's mentioned.

Find a different dealership and have them address any and all other issues you have now or in the future... You have a 36,000 mi. warranty which you should bring into play..

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
@Dubv09
LED package or not, there are no daytime running lights on the back of a stock JL/JLU/JT. Daytime running lights are only on the front of the stock vehicle's mentioned.
I'm unaware of any vehicle that has ever had rear DRLs.
Sponsored